Message Boards

Clinton Documents Board Clinton Queries Board
Clinton Obituaries Board Clinton Biographies Board
Gravestone Photo Project
Please Join our FaceBook Group - Clinton Co., IAGenWeb
Join Our Team Friends of IAGenWeb
If you enjoy the benefits that the IAGenWeb county and Special Projects offer, wont you consider becoming a Friend of IAGenWeb? OR Join Our Team and help IAGenWeb grow by adopting a county or volunteering to transcribe records.

Eden Township

The following history is from the Clinton Herald, July 4, 1976:

Eden was created from a part of Camanche and was designated a separate township in 1856.

Low Moor was platted in 1858, a direct result of an 81-mile stretch of railroad line from Clinton to Cedar Rapids constructed by the Chicago, Iowa and Nebraska Railway Co.

A history related, "... the owners of the town were discussing the problem of a name for the place.  The iron rails used in the construction of the road came from Low Moor, England.  Colonel (Milo) Smith was standing by a pile of rails at the time, and noting the name, Low Moore, England, stamped on the rails, said 'There is a good name, Low Moor, stamped on that rail and Englishmen live all around here.' The the name was chosen."

Low Moor also was a station on the slave underground railroad, with the next station located in Clinton on the site of the Lafayette Hotel.

Incorporated as a town in 1896, Low Moor was ravaged by fire in 1907 when a blaze started in the printing shop and severly damaged the business section.

Biography of Eden

(Established 1856; previously part of De Witt, Center and Camanche)



03 Mar 1884 - 26 Jun 1884 & 14 Jul 1884 - 21 Oct 1933


Low Moor

15 Aug 1857 - Current



09 Dec 1867 - 31 Jan 1922

Formerly Ramessa


1837 - ?  



? - 08 Dec 1867




On Wapsipinicon River, below Folletts


1837 - ?

.  See Monroe


55 Cousin / Smith
56 Bower-Dannatt-Hill
57 Prairie Union
58 Pelham

Postcard from Folletts

Postcard courtesy of David Shedlock.