Eden Township first formed a part of Camanche Precinct. In 1856, it was organized as a separate township. It's population, according to the last census, was about one thousand.

Among the early settlers were James D. Bourne, Robert C. Bourne, John and Thomas Brophy, William Shelden (on the old Abbey place), J. D. and William A. Davidson, who entered the Cherrywood farm; Jonathan Waterbury, William Simpson, who settled on the place now owned by the Payne Brothers; William Ten Eyck, who lived on the place now owned by Thomas McCone; John Maxson, who was a surveyor, and located on the place now owned by R. J. Dannatt; William Cope, who still resides on his claim.

In 1851, the English settlers came into this township and vicinity, among whom were Samuel Dannatt and his sons Benjamin, Thomas, Samuel and John, John Bower and his sons Thomas and Humphrey, George Hardy, George Hill and his son Thomas, George Pearson and his tow sons Henry and George; and afterward came Thomas B. Dannatt, John B. Dannatt an C. B. Dannatt, John Tate and his sons William, Thomas and Charles, William Canty, George Houston, William Richardson and his sons William, Thomas and Amos. These nearly all came from the village of Killingholme in Lincolnshire, England, and, bringing capital with them, they bought out the original claim-takers and engaged in successful farming. They are thrifty and enterprising, largely engaged in stock-raising and feeding, and their broad fields, fine farm-houses and outbuildings make Eden Township a model one.

The first schoolhouse in the township was a log structure built in 1849, and stood upon the farm now occupied by Peter Hill in the Union district, which comprised in its limits then nearly the whole township. There are now nine school districts in the township, all being provided with neat an commodious school-buildings.

There are but two churches in the township--the Methodist Church at Low Moor and a chapel at Malone, which was erected under the auspices of the Baptist Church at De Witt. 

Low Moor is an outgrowth of the Chicago & North-Western Railway, and is a station on that road. It was surveyed and platted in the spring of 1858, the original proprietors being J. Tong, Wilson Mudgett and Milo Smith. The first house was built by William Gulick; the second, by Richard Wagner, and the third by Roswell B. Millard, who was the first station agent and Postmaster. The post office was established in August, 1857, on the opening of the railroad and before the platting, but the town had been projected and its name selected. George Weston, P. J. Schuyler, Charles Seward and John M. Haskill have succeeded to the honors and emoluments of the postmastership, the latter being the present incumbent. The population is about two hundred. A neat frame school-building, with commodious grounds in a beautiful maple grove, accommodates its "Young Americas," the attendance at which is about seventy.

The Methodist Church is a small, but very tasty frame building, in the Gothic style, and seats about four hundred. It was erected in 1869, at a cost of about $3,600.

Religious were held in the "Jones" Schoolhouse in the early days. It was then in Camanche, in what is now District No. 1, in Eden. All denominations held their meetings here. In 1858, a class was organized, and, at this date, the organization of the Low Moor Methodist Church can be properly reckoned. When the railroad was opened and a population began to gather there, this was thought to be a more central point, and at first the meetings were held in the depot until the schoolhouse was erected in 1867, which was occupied for religious services until the completion of the church. The Church now numbers about fifty members. It is at present attached to Camanche, and the Pastor is Rev. W. E. McCormac.

A stock company own and operate a steam grist-mill. The building was formerly a grain warehouse. The machinery was put in the spring of 1878. It has two runs of stones.

Mr. Dannatt, in erecting a fine store-building, provided the people of Low Moor with a commodious public hall on the second floor.


Crone & Manley, general merchandise; Haskill & Son, general merchandise; J. L. Haskill, Postmaster; John Hoffmire, blacksmith; Thomas Rowe, wagon-maker; Henry Etter, shoemaker; Charles Collins, watchmaker; S. C. Bauder, grain and agricultural implements; R. J. Hart, physician and druggist; E. L. Penfield, attorney; S. W. Brazell, agricultural implements; G. E. Mudgett, hotel; Thomas Fetchett, saloon; Chris. Bristley, saloon.

SOURCE: Allen, L. P., History of Clinton County, Iowa, Containing A History of the County, it's Cities, Towns, Etc. and Biographical Sketches of Citizens, War Record of it's Volunteers in the late Rebellion, General and Local Statistics, Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men, History of the Northwest, History of Iowa, Map of Clinton County, Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, &c, &c., Illustrated. Chicago IL; Western Historical Company, 1879




Back to Table of contents