Ringgold County Genealogical Society
Mount Ayr, Ringgold County
Vol. III, Pp. 8-9.
RINGGOLD ROOTS SALUTES REDDING
Redding, in Clinton Township, is locted twelve miles from Mt. Ayr on the Grant City Branch of the Chicago, Burlington, &
Quincy [CB&Q] Railroad. It was laid out in 1880, by a town company composed of railroad capitalists. J. W. CROUCH built the
first house, which is now the Redding Hotel. Immediately after, and all about the same time, WILSON & CONINE built a store,
W. C. WILSON a dwelling, N. B. ALLER a restaurant, WATSON a store, Al. SILVERS a store, George DENNIS a blacksmith shop, and
Oliver WOOLMAN a wagon shop. The village obtained most of its growth the first year. By 1882, the population was 300, and the
village was incorporated. The officers for 1886 are: Mayor, L. P. MILBURN; Council: W. E. LAWHEAD, Loren GEE, Thomas DEMCY,
F. M. WISDOM, Milton WISDOM; Marshal, J. H. BAIRD; Treasurer, J. T. BERNARD.
In 1884 the village met with two serious reverses,
in the shape of fires. The first, in April, destoryed five buildings at the northwest corner of the square. July 5, following,
the whole north side was swept away, including William ANTHONY'S general store, P. B. FRANCES' general store, B. J. CONINE'S
hotel, Samuel WARDEN'S dwelling, C. S. PUGSLEY'S general store, G. M. SMITH'S grocery and hardware store, and D. W. POOR'S
grocery. The business portion of the village has been partially rebuilt, but the population is less than formerly. The
state census of 1885 gave it at 210; they claim 250 now.
The business firms of 1886 are:
| P. B. FRANCE
| J. M. SMITH
| D. M. SMITH|
| HUGGINS, SAVILLE, LAWHEAD
| J. T. BERNARD
lumber & furniture
| E. RUSSELL|
| DENNIS & CASTILLO
| P. MOLER
| George HUNTSMAN|
| D. MARTIN
| Joseph SHAW
| W. T. SMITH|
| J. W. CROUCH
| Henry H. ROKES
| M. T. FALKNER|
Two papers have been published at Redding. The Reporter was started in 1885 by F. M. WISDOM, and ran for a few months.
The Independent was started in December, 1885, by BURRELL & NOBLE. The latter withdrew after a time, and again, later,
CLAYBURG Brothers became proprietors. The paper suspended in the summer of 1886. It was independent in politics, and
published on Thursdays, at a $1.50 per year.
The only lawyer who has lived and practiced at Redding was George SPENCE, who
was here two or three years. He went to Dakota in 1884.
The first physician here was Thomas KENWORTHY, who lived near the
village site when the latter was selected. he soon moved to Oregon. Dr. McLEAN was here one year and then went to Missouri.
The present physicians are A. K. KING, THomas H. HUMPHREY and W. E. LAWHEAD.
The Methodist church at this place was built
in the spring of 1884 at an expenditure of about $1,200. The society is an old one, and formerly worshiped in the schoolhouse
south of Redding. Services are held in this church nearly every Sunday, by one denomination or another. Rev. WITHERS preaches
here for the Methodists, and Rev. GOLDING for the Missionary Baptists. D. W. POOR conducts the Sunday-school, the usual
attendance of which is seventy-five.
Thomas HUSTON Post, No. 51, G.A.R., was organized in March 1883, with William
ANTHONY as Commander; A. AMICK as Adjutant; L. W. PARSONS, Officer of the Day, and S. OLIVER, Quartermaster. The officers for
1886 are: M. A. WAUGH, Commander; D. W. POOR, Senior Vice-Commander; I. T. OWENS, Junior Vice-Commander; Rev. William
GOLDING, Chaplain; A. AMICK, Adjutant; David HILLHOUSE, Officer of the Day; J. T. MEDARIS, Quartermaster; F. M. OLIVER,
Office of the Guard; J. P. PARKER, Surgeon; J. W. ATHEY, Quartermaster-Sergeant. The membership is now thirty. Meetings
are held on Friday evening on or before each full moon.
The Women's Christian Temperance Union and the Cold Water
Army Templars was here, but is now defunct.
- From Biographical & Historical Record of
Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publ. Chicago. 1887.
REDDING CELEBRATES CENTENNIAL OF
INCORPORATION JULY 10, 1981
The name Redding has been attached to three locations. A post office was chartered in 1855 at a spot two miles north of
the present town location. Then, in the 1870's, the town covering about 10 blocks was started just north of the present
town. When the railroads were built in 1879, a New Redding was laid out in sections 11, 12, 13, and 14 of Clinton Township.
The population grew to 300.
There were several early settlers who have descendants still living around here. John BAIRD
and his sons Samuel and Absolam came from Monroe County, Indiana in 1848; H. T. "Thomps" MILLER, born in
Rockbridge County, Virginia, came with his large family in 1859, coming all the way by team. His brothers Squire and William came
also. Squire MILLER was the father of 17 children. D. C. ABARR and J. W. ABARR came with their mother and two brothers in
1856 from Indiana, as did Alvin POORE and family
Happy Birthday, Redding!!
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2010