IAGenWeb Project


 Iowa History

       An IAGenWeb Special Project

Join the IAGenWeb Team



Churches and Religion

Pages 471 - 504

Historical Sketches of Iowa Baptists, 1886

S. H. Mitchell

 Published by Burdette Co., Burlington, Iowa


Obituary Notes

 From Works to Rewards

An Ever Increasing Record.



Page 471  

     How often have those words of the poet been repeated and applied to brighten the otherwise sombre aspect of those scenes that separate between the life that now is and that which is to come. They are not worn out, but will serve to introduce our memorial of those, who from making Baptist history in Iowa, have gone to join the acclaim of those who glorify God in the better land.


"The chamber where the good man meets his fate,

Is privileged above the common walks of life,

Quite on the verge of Heaven."


     Our obituary record begins with 1846.


Page 471
Rev. Peter Robinson died at Marion, September 1846 hailed him as a fellow laborer in Iowa. But while admiring his work of faith and brightening prospects at Marion, the summons came. It only remained to comply with his request, go to Marion and preach his funeral sermon, comfort the bereaved church, accept the situation, be faithful unto death and meet him in glory."

Page 472

Rev. D. Whitmore died in Jackson county in 1846 but we have no further particulars of his life.
Rev. M. J. Post died in Pella, April 2, 1848. An account of his death from the pen of his daughter is given on pages 84-5 together with an account of his life.
Rev. Wm. B. Knapp of Charleston and his entire family, consisting of wife and two or three children, died of cholera in 1849. The family had entertained a stranger at their home, who, either before or immediately after leaving, sickened and died with the fatal disease. They  had entertained an angel unawares but it proved to be the angel of death. Mr. Knapp left his home to fill an appointment at Denmark, and while there was attacked with the cholera and died in a few hours. About the same time death smote his wife and one of the children, and while a messenger was bearing to his home the sad news of his death, another was on the way to convey to Denmark the sorrowful tidings that he never received.
Mrs. J. A. Nash, wife of Rev. J. A. Nash of Des Moines died in 1851. In the Annual of that year, after making glad mention of the coming of Brother Nash as a helper in the great work committed to Iowa Baptists, it is added, "Soon after his arrival he was called to drink the bitter cup of affliction in the removal of his companion to the haven of eternal rest. Those of us who became acquainted with sister Nash esteemed and loved her, and we mingle the tear of sympathy with our bereaved brother, early called to mourn, while yet a stranger in a strange land."
Rev. Ira Blanchard died in California about 1852. He was settled in Delaware county, Iowa, as early as 1844. He was instrumental in organizing the church at Cascade and labored there and in Delaware county until 1850, when he went to the Pacific coast here he died. He organized the first Delaware Church Delaware county in 1844.

Page 473

Morgan.  A minister by the name of Morgan died in Bellevue in 1852, but nothing further is known of him.
Rev. B. F. Brabrook died at Davenport June 9, 1853. Born at Acton, Massachusetts, September 15, 1809, baptized in 1829; graduated at Columbia College, D. C., and studied theology at Newton Theological Seminary. He was ordained April 19, 1837, and immediately started for St. Louis, where he labored until his health failed and he was compelled to return east.  In 1843 he gauged as agent of Foreign Missions in the Western States. He visited Iowa, and on the day he entered the state said, "To-day, for the first time my feet press the soil of Iowa, and beneath its sod my bones may rest."  In 1845 he settled as pastor at Davenport, and afterward, upon the failure of his eyes, entered the agency of the Home Mission Society. He was continuously under appointment of this society from 1846 till 1852. "As a Christian, a pastor and an agent Brother Brabrook was pious, devoted, talented and beloved. The influence of his labors will long be felt in Iowa, and the record of them in heaven."
Rev. A. Russell Belden died of cholera in Iowa City in 1855. Mr. Belden came from New York in 1851 and was successor of Dexter P. Smith as pastor at Iowa City. After a pastorate of less than three years he "conceived the idea of founding an orphan college in that city. A site was secured and a foundation laid, when death suddenly called him away. A list of ministers who died in 1855 also contains the names of W. S. Barnes, J. McKain and W. T. Martin, but without particulars.

Page 474

Rev. George I. Miles died at Muscatine, Iowa in November, 1857, having been pastor of the church there only a little more than a year. One who had known him well in Pennsylvania wrote: "Brother Miles was extensively known to the denomination for his sterling piety, and as a zealous and successful minister of the cross. ** A prominent actor in all the benevolent operations of the day, his presence and counsels were sought in the convocations of the denominations in the east.."  His coming to our State was hailed with joy.  But alas! "In the midst of his usefulness he was cut down and his active, lively and eloquent tongue lay motionless and still in death."
Rev. A. Thompson died in the Eden Association in 1859. He was ordained in Indiana in 1847, and came to Iowa in 1848 and located in the new and destitute region southwest of the Des Moines River. In 1857 he was appointed Missionary of the Eden Association and the State Convention, and labored with great success, baptizing with in the year "not less than ninety-nine converts with his own hands."
Rev. N. Richmond, also of the Eden Association, died in 1859. He removed from Indiana to this State three years before his death. He preached in the midst of many privations, to several churches, " with a good degree of success."  Rev. — Hewson died in the Iowa Valley Association some time in 1859. He had recently come from Illinois and settled on a farm, and after preaching to one of the churches with much acceptance for a few weeks " was stricken down with sickness and summoned away." Rev. S. B. Baker died near Winterset, April 25. 1859. He had removed from Indiana to Iowa some four or five years before. Was regularly ordained to the work of the ministry only about a year before his death, though he had preached more or less for many years.

Page 475

Rev. Peter Colgrove died near Fairbank, Fayette county, Iowa, August 1, 1860, after a sickness of only two days. He was born in Tompkins county, New York, June 10, 1817. United with the Baptist church at Mecklenburg at the age of 16, entered the institution at Hamilton June 27, 1834, and completed their full course of study. He was ordained at Mecklenburg August 25, 1841. He labored with a number of churches in his native state, and received to their membership about three hundred souls. He came with his family to Fayette county, Iowa, in 1859. "As a counselor, judicious and safe; as a preacher, instructive and some times thrilling; as a man, a Christian and a minister, upright and dignified." He was "just such a man as is needed in every new settlement, and greatly missed by the whole community."
Rev. J. R. Dean died August 19, 1860. He was a graduate of the Theological Seminary at Kalamazoo, Michigan. He came to Iowa in 1857 and first settled as pastor at New Hartford, where he baptized 27, and the church increased from 11 to 50. He preached also at Shell Rock and intermediate points with marked success, especially in revival work. In the spring of 1860, with impaired health, he went to Pike's Peak, "hoping to regain his health and be useful in helping to cast society in that vicinity in a religious mould." But God ordered it otherwise, and he was taken to join the heavenly throng in the mount of eternal glory.
Rev. Zophor Ball died near Knoxville, Iowa, August 19, 1860, the same day that Brother Dean passed away. Nothing is known of this brother further than, it is said, "He was an ordained minister and had labored faithfully for many years, mainly at his own charges."

Sister Elizabeth S. Aitchison, wife of Rev. J. Y. Aitchison, died in October 1860. Her maiden name was Frazee. She was born in Scotch Plains, New Jersey. She was baptized in Davenport by Rev. E. M. Miles, about 1854. Was married about 1857. “Had lived for six years a highly consistent Christian life, and for three years and eight months a loving spouse and helpmeet to her bereaved husband.” Her end was peace.

Page 476
Deacon John Scott died at Bonaparte in March, 1861. His known integrity and zeal as a member of the Mt. Zion Church (Bonaparte) made for him a cherished place in the annals of that church and in the hearts of all who knew him. His pastor. Rev. W. A. Eggleston, wrote, "He died with a good hope through grace, and the last of earth was peace." He was about 60 years old.
Rev. Abraham Smock of Davis county, died at Camp McClellan in the spring of 1863, of disease contracted in the army. A full notice of this brother will be found on page 149, in the history of the Fox River Association.
Rev. D. T. Case of Bethlehem, Wayne county, died in 1863. He was in the fatal charge on the entrenchments of Vicksburg, May 22, 1863, and escaped unhurt, but died a few months later at a railroad station almost in sight of friends, on his way home. He died of disease contracted in the army. He was "a young brother, with his ministerial vows fresh upon him, and giving much promise of usefulness."
Rev. Jonah Todd died near Dodgeville, Des Moines county, May 12, 1863. He was the Moderator at its organization, of the Des Moines Association, and consequently the first to occupy that position in a Baptist Association in Iowa.
Rev. Mr. Pratt of Onawa, entered the army and was found dead in the streets of Helena, supposed to have been assassinated. No particulars.
Deacon Chamberlain of the Burlington Church, died November 12, 1863.
Dea. Toogood of Marion died at the Toogood Settlement, and Deacons Hutchinson and Whitney of the Palo Church died in the army, all in 1863. Also Deacon C. W. Forbes of the Van Buren Church, Jackson county, died in camp near Vicksburg.'
Page 477
Deacon Henry A. Ritner of Danville, son of Ex-Governor Ritner of Pennsylvania, one of the founders of our State Convention and a prominent man in the denomination, was killed on the railroad by a singular accident in April, 1863. He had sons in the army and had been at Burlington, as we remember the circumstance, to see something about sending them some relief or token of affection. He was walking on the track, and being a little deaf, and perhaps lost in abstracted thought, a train struck him from behind and he was killed.
Deacon A. Fisher, of the Brighton Church, died in the spring of 1863. "Father Fisher" will be remembered as long as any live who knew him, for his intense devotion to the church he loved. (See page 297.) Sister Lucy Brabrook, widow of Rev. B. F. Brabrook, died at Davenport in May, 1863. A noble, earnest Christian woman, a helper in every good work. Lieut. Samuel Bates, 21st Regiment Iowa Volunteers, son of Rev. John Bates, "was mortally wounded on the memorable 22nd of May, 1863 at Vicksburg, and died in a few days." (See page 203.)
Rev. John M. Coggshall died at Little Rock, Arkansas, October 29, 1863. Born in Bristol, R. I., December 29, 1820, converted at 18 and united with the Baptist Church at Troy, Penn. He studied at Madison University, and was ordained in June, 1843. He served as pastor successively of churches in Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois and Iowa, and then entered the army as chaplain of the 1st Iowa Cavalry, where he gave up his valuable life for his country and his God, leaving an afflicted widow and six children.
Page 478
Rev. A. A. Sawin died of small pox at West Irving in the summer of 1864. He was born at West Minister, Massachusetts, and dedicated himself to the Christian ministry in his youth. He showed marks of great earnestness and more than ordinary ability. He preached at Ticonderoga, then in Vermont, afterwards at Stillwater, N. Y., at Fulton, Ill., Lyons, Iowa, and at Marion, Iowa. From Marion he removed to Benton county and threw himself with all the characteristic earnestness of his nature into the enterprise of establishing the Addison Collegiate Institute at West Irving. He was Acting pastor at the time of his death of the Toledo Church where he "was buried among an attached and mourning flock."
Rev. James Parker died at Avon, Iowa, early in 1864.  He was born in Kentucky, but his parents removed to Ohio when he was about 4 years old. He was converted at the age of 20 under the labors of Rev. J. L. Moore. Was ordained about 12 years before his death, and preached in Washington and Van Buren counties. He then moved to Pella and labored for two or three years with great activity and energy with churches in the Central Association. In 1863 37 were baptized at Vandalia, and the next winter at Hartford, Carlisle and Avon 79 as the result of a great revival under his labors. ''Worn down with excessive labors he was taken sick at Avon and died."
Deacon Elihu Ives died near Marion, September 12, 1864, aged 77. He had been a resident of Linn county since 1839, and a member of the Marion Baptist Church from its organization. "A man of deep toned piety and uprightness, though an active member of the church he shown brightest in the exemplification of the Christian life in his daily deportment." Mrs. Williams, wife of Rev. John Williams, one of the early Missionaries of the Convention died also in 1864. Dr. A. W. Everett died in the Eden Association in 1864. He practiced medicine and preached as occasion offered.
Page 479
Rev. Isaac Christie, also of the Eden Association, died in 1865 at the age of about 60 years. He labored some years in Indiana, and afterwards removed to Missouri, where he had a good farm and preached to the surrounding churches. ''In the fall of 1860 he voted for Mr. Lincoln for president, and was soon afterward notified to leave the county or his life would be taken." He was an earnest and faithful pastor and a devoted Christian.
Rev. Luther Holmes of Monmouth died in April, 1865, of congestion of the lungs, in his 70th year. He was the father of Rev. O. A. Holmes, one of the most successful pastors in Iowa for many years. For further particulars see pages 204-5 of this volume. Rev. Lyman Carpenter died in California June 27, 1865. Brother Carpenter was pastor of the church at Blue Grass, Scott county, from 12 to 15 years. He was ordained there in 1846, Rev. B. F. Brabrook preaching the sermon. He went to California only a few years before his death.
Rev. A. H. Harris died at Vinton, Iowa, November 26, 1865, aged only 38 years. He was ordained in Michigan about 1860, and came to Iowa perhaps in 1863. He took charge of the Vinton Church in February 1865, but after a painful illness of six weeks, fell asleep in Jesus and went to his reward." "He was retiring, modest and unassuming, yet firm and unswerving as a minister of Jesus Christ. A man of strong faith, in his preaching plain, direct and searching, the great burden of his heart was the salvation of souls and the building up of the Redeemer's kingdom."
Page 480
Rev. Hezekiah Johnson died at Oregon City, Oregon, in August, 1866 He was born in Maryland, March 6, 1799, "the son of Rev. Eleazer Johnson and Martha Rounds." He was ordained in Highland county, Ohio, in 1824, and was pastor at Frankfort and Greenfield in that state. In 1839 he was one of the first three missionaries appointed by the Home Mission Society to the Territory of Iowa, and labored as an itinerant until 1844, assisting in organizing some of the first churches and Associations in the state." In 1845 he went with Rev. Ezra Fisher to Oregon. He organized the church at Oregon City and labored there under appointment of the Society from 1847 to '51. "He traveled preached, helped to organize churches and Associations and lay the foundations of religious and educational institutions in the new state. He also wrote and published many sermons and pamphlets, completing the last on his death-bed. He was one of the strongest Baptist preachers in the early days of Oregon," as he had been of Iowa. Over his grave and that of his faithful wife is placed a memorial stone with the simple inscription, "Pioneer Baptist Missionaries." He was the father of Rev. Franklin Johnson, D. D., of Cambridge, Mass.
Mrs. Harriett R. Wedgewood, wife of Rev. J. M. Wedgewood of the Turkey River Association, died     September 21, 1860.  Also the beloved wife of Rev. John Fulton at Independence, March 18, 1866, and the wife of Rev.  A. W. Russell, some time in June after a lingering illness. Rev. A. H. Starkweather, of Lyons, died, much lamented, January 17, 1867, preceded by his excellent wife not quite three months. He was a "graduate of Madison University and served the churches at Corning and Bethany, New York." He came west in 1855 and located in Fulton, Illinois, and in 1858 crossed the river and began work in Lyons, Iowa, where he continued almost eight years. Mrs. Starkweather was born at Bethany, New York; daughter of Deacon Burroughs. "She was a fond wife, and especially a good minister's wife." They left two lovely" daughters who were "graciously cared for in the home of their uncle, George Starkweather, at Albion. New York." Rev. James Kay, pastor of the Baptist church at Cascade, died at that place July 4, 1867. Born in Westmoreland, in the North of England, he was converted in early manhood, and was for a time on the City Mission Staff of Manchester. See further notice on page 207.
Page 481
Rev. John Jackson died at McGregor, Iowa, in 1867. He was born in England. About 1852 he became pastor of the English Baptist church at Agra, East Indies, and continued five years. His health becoming impaired he left Asia and came to America. He was for six years pastor of the West Baptist church at Milwaukee, and then removed to McGregor, Iowa. After serving one 3 year as pastor of the church here he went back to India and settled at Alahabad. But feeble health soon led him to return to this country and to the bosom of his friends at McGregor, where he "peacefully departed this life to enter into the joy of his Lord." His friends at Milwaukee claimed the honor of his remains and he was buried at that place.
Rev. Hazzaud Green of Jacksonville died January 6, 1867. "His sickness was protracted and severe, yet he bore it with fortitude and resignation, His end was joyous and triumphant." "For several years he had been an honored minister of the gospel in this state." Rev. Wm. McEwen of Fremont was suddenly called home on the 5th of February, 1867, at the close of a successful revival effort. He was a warm hearted, zealous laborer in the vineyard of the Lord, and respected and loved by those who knew him.
Page 482
Deacon George M. Colgate of McGregor died full of faith and good works. He was clerk of the Turkey River Association for several years, and was an unusually intelligent and devoted Christian and church member. See page 338. Brother Colgate was converted when thirteen years of age and baptized by the late Wm. R. Williams, D. D., being the first candidate baptized into the fellowship of the Amity Street Baptist Church of New York City, of which Dr. Williams remained pastor until his death, over fifty years. Mrs. Susan E. Wilber  died at Cedar Rapids in December, 1867. The wife of Rev. H. R. Wilber, she was the daughter of Prof. D. Knowles. She consecrated herself to the cause of Home Missions, and cheerfully endured the privations and made the sacrifices incidental to her position as the devoted wife and helpmeet of a pastor of new and struggling churches.
Rev. A. F. Willey died at Oskaloosa April 4, 1868. He was born in Vermont in 1830, and while quite young removed with his parents to Texas, and subsequently to Illinois. He was baptized by Rev. A. J. Joslyn of Elgin, graduated from the University of Rochester in the class of 1858, and from the Theological Seminary in 1860, and in the fall of the same year settled as pastor at Burlington, Iowa. Here he was ordained and remained as pastor four years. His ministry at Burlington was greatly blessed until his health failed under his exhaustive labors. He was afterwards the first pastor of the church at Marshalltown, where he labored fifteen months. Still more enfeebled he spent a year in the country in Missouri. Though but partially restored he was unable to content himself out of the work of his love. He settled with the church at Oskaloosa. Here he preached his last sermon in February, 1868, from the text Psalm xxxvii:37, '"Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright, for the end of that man is peace." It was a wonderful sermon. Many who heard it said, ''He has preached his own funeral." He himself said to his wife on entering his home, "Carrie, I have preached my last sermon.'' But he said to a friend, during his last sickness, "I rejoice to die at the front."
Page 483
Rev. R. D. C. Herring died in March, 1868, at the age of 70. He was born in Kentucky, and spent most of his life in Indiana. He came to Iowa about 1865, and preached in Boone and Story counties. He administered baptism on the Sabbath and died the Wednesday after. Rev. Wm. Rutledge died at LeClaire, October 27, 1868. Born in England August 19, 1804; he rendered excellent service in London in the Temperance Cause, and as a lay-preacher in Essex county. He came to America in 1845 and the following year was ordained in Philadelphia. He came to Davenport in 1847 as a Colporteur of the American Baptist Publication Society. He was pastor of the churches at LeClaire and Princeton, Iowa, and Cordova and Port Byron, Illinois, laboring in this vicinity for twenty-two years. He preached his last sermon October 18, and died just nine days later, in his sixty-fifth year.
Rev. Marion Hazen, pastor at Parker's Grove, died in 1868 or '69 "soon after the meeting of the Linn Association." He was converted at an early age in Indiana and began preaching before he was twenty years old. In the spring of 1867 he settled at Shellsburg. Modest and unpretending he was yet full of the spirit of the Master, and was owned of God in the conversion of many souls. He was eminently pious, and died sweetly trusting in Jesus, committing his companion and little ones to the covenant-keeping God. His memory is fragrant with the perfume of good deeds and a Christ-like spirit. He has a son now in the ministry.
Page 484
Rev. Phineas Inskeep died September 16, 1869. He was born in Ohio, December 31, 1812, converted at the age of twelve, and ordained as a Methodist minister at 21. In 1839 he became convinced that immersion was the only Christian baptism and was immersed but remained in the Methodist connection until 1859 when he united with the Baptist church and was ordained at New Boston, Lee county, April 28, 1861. He was pastor at Charleston, at Bonaparte, and perhaps some other churches, and was warden of the Penitentiary at Fort Madison. He had also been a member of the Legislatures of Ohio and Iowa. "Those who attended him in his last sickness, witness to his triumphant death in hope of a glorious immortality."
Rev. G. G. Edwards of Toledo, died in 1809. He came to Iowa in 1855 and organized the Toledo Church. "He was a faithful minister of Christ, and active in all that pertains to the work of the Lord." He was an ardent supporter of the anti slavery sentiment and of the American Baptist Free Mission Society in its day, also of work among the Freedmen. He was a Missionary of the Convention and though in great weakness, labored at Belle Plaine and West Irving the last year of his life. He had a burning zeal to preach the gospel as long as he had breath and could stand upon his feet.
Rev. Hamilton Samson died at Palo in March 1870. He was pastor at Maquoketa in 1864 and remained two years; afterwards at Mt. Vernon and other places in the Linn Association. He was one "often seen in our annual gatherings and whom to meet was always a pleasure."
Page 484-485
Rev. Timothy R. Cresset died at Des Moines, August 30, 1870. He was born at Pomfret, Conn., September 18, 1800. Converted at twenty, graduated from Amherst College in 1828 and from Newton Theological Seminary in 1830. He was pastor, first at Bingham, Massachusetts, three and one-half years, and then went to South Boston. While in college he had solemnly dedicated himself to Home Missions, and in 1835 began Home Mission work in the great west by becoming pastor at Columbus, Ohio, where he remained seven years, and built the church edifice now in use. Here he lost his first wife, Mary Peck, and married Josephine, daughter of Rev. Jonathan Going, who survived him a number of years. He was two years pastor of the First Church, Cincinnati, and then a like time Agent of the Bible Society for Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. In July, 184G, he became pastor of First Baptist Church,  Indianapolis. Here he remained six years and secured the erection of a meeting house seating 40U, with Sabbath School rooms, etc. He was the third minister to enter the Territory of Minnesota, May, 1852, and became pastor of the First Baptist Church, St. Paul. He was pastor two years here and then "Home Mission work began in earnest." Journeying on foot, sometimes walking a dozen miles without seeing a human being. Seven years were mainly employed in such work, preaching the first sermon ever heard in many a place and ''having much to do with the organization of not a few churches." Riding on horseback in the rigors of the Minnesota winters, preaching in log cabins, "all appointments were sacredly kept." In August, 1861, he became chaplain of the 2d Minnesota Volunteers and spent two years in the service. He was then pastor two years at Kendallville, Indiana, preached at Plainfield and Olney, Illinois, and in 1868 removed and became pastor at Indianola, Iowa. In 1870 he removed to Des Moines. He had accepted an appointment as "Railroad Missionary" to begin labor the first of September, but on the 31st of August he was suddenly taken ill, and soon after uttered his last and memorable words, ''My work is done; I am goin' home."
Page 486
Rev. John Trevitt died at Bonaparte in 1872. He had been pastor for several years at West Point, Iowa, and at Bonaparte Just before his death. He was a good man and left an excellent record. Rev. Edwin Eaton, D. D., died at Lagrange, Mo., May 10, 1872, aged 54 years. He had been pastor of the Baptist Church at Muscatine, president of the Iowa Baptist State Convention and of the Union for Ministerial Education for the first three years of its existence. " When choosing his life work, under clear and forcible convictions of duty, he abandoned the study of law and the prospects of worldly position and fame, for the ministry." He spent 28 years in his chosen pursuit. Inconsequence of failing health he resigned the care of the church at Muscatine, hoping that rest and the genial influence of a milder climate might restore his exhausted energies. But soon the Master's voice was heard saying, "Come up higher." " He was extensively known in Ohio, Michigan and Iowa as an able and successful minister, a faithful pastor, a thorough scholar and an earnest advocate for an enlightened ministry." "As a man and a citizen he commanded, in an eminent degree, the confidence and respect of the community in which he lived."
Brother Daniel Johns was drowned in the Mississippi at Comanche, July 13, 1872. He was a student in the Chicago University and in the Theological Seminary, and was supplying the church at Comanche. They deeply felt his loss. A native of Wales, he commenced preaching in that country, but coming to this country he had entered the institutions above named, and was n ear completing his course.
In the Keokuk Association in 1873, Deacon Jonathan Swan and Father Bristow, of the Denmark church,- and Father George Moore of Charleston all passed away. Deacon Swan was a constituent member of the Denmark Church, and also the last surviving; constituent member of the church in Massachusetts from which he came. He had lived a Christian over half a century. Father Bristow was the father of P. S. Bristow, Esq., of Des Moines, well known about the capital. Father Moore had followed the Good Shepherd for 73 years.
Page 487
Rev. Ezra Fisher died at The Dalles, Oregon, November 1, 1874. He was born at Wendel, Mass., January 6, 1800, "when Baptists were suffering much persecution in that state by the established church." He was converted at 18, and after many struggles to obtain an education graduated from Newton Theological Seminary in 1829, and was ordained January 17, 1830. He was pastor one year at Cambridge and two years at Springfield, Vermont, and was very successful in both places, baptizing at the latter 80 persons. He was sent by the Home Mission Society, near the close of 1832, to Indianapolis, Ind., one of the first three missionaries to that state. This was the first work of the society, and 41 missionaries in all were commissioned that year, including two general agents. He remained at Indianapolis something over two years, and in 1836 is found at Quincy, Ill., where he remains, three or four years. In 1840 he was commissioned by the Society to Scott and Muscatine counties, Iowa. He was very active in our Iowa work in the years 1841 to 1844-5, when he crossed the plains and was probably the first Baptist minister to enter Oregon. In 1846 he organized the first Baptist church west of. the Rocky Mountains, in Washington county Oregon. In 1847 he and Hezekiah Johnson were the first two missionaries of the Home Mission Society on the Pacific Slope. He remained as missionary of the Society at Astoria and Oregon City until 1852, when he became General Agent for Oregon Territory. He had special gifts for teaching, and at one time took charge of the Baptist school at Oregon City, out of which grew the college at McMinnville. He continued, however, in pastoral and missionary work until October 1874, when he preached his last sermon.
Page 488
The Beloved Wife of Rev. James Hill of Cascade departed this life March 12, 1874. She was much esteemed and universally lamented. Also in 1875 the church at Maquoketa lamented the removal by death of the beloved wife of their pastor, Rev. N. F. Hovt.
Rev. John Bates died in Canada, May 8, 1875, aged 70 years. He was born in Bugbrook, Northamptonshire, England, January 26, 1805. Baptized December 25, 1829, into the fellowship of the Eagle Church, Rev. Joseph Irving, pastor. He early '"turned his thoughts towards the Christian ministry, intending to go out as a missionary among the colored people of the West Indies." Not carrying out this purpose, he afterwards decided to enter the service of the Baptist Irish Society to work among the Roman Catholics of Ireland. He was appointed by that body in 1833 and labored at Ballina, Sligo, and other localities. At Ballina where he continued for nine years, he baptized 60 persons, the fruit of missionary toil. He was in the employ of the Baptist Irish Society in all, seventeen years. He came to America in 1850 and settled in Cascade, where his efficient labors are noticed in these Sketches. In this state he "came to be recognized as a power, and his counsels in Association and Convention were most carefully weighed." He removed to Canada in 1864 and became pastor of the church at Dundas. In 1867 he removed to Woodstock and became identified with the interests of the Canadian Literary Institute located there. He was also for six years pastor of the church at Woodstock and received into its fellowship by baptism and letter 211 persons. Hero he consecrated two of his daughters to the Foreign Mission work. Mr. Bates was truly a man of great power and ardent piety.
Page 489
Rev. E. Loomis died at his home in Emerson, Iowa, August, 6, 1875. He was "full of years, ripe in Christian experience, loved by all who knew him and assured of his reward." Rev. Wm. C. Cunningham of the Southwestern Association, died about 1875. "A young man of more than ordinary promise," and had not been long in the ministry Rev. J. C. Otis died at Glenwood in 1876. See notice on page 249, in the history of the Southwestern Association. He had lived an unusually active and pious life, and died as he had lived glorifying God.
Rev. J. W. Roe died at his home in Malvern in October, 1876, while the State Convention was in session at Des Moines. He was recognized in the Southwestern Association as one ''whose work in the Association for a number of years had been a succession of victories for the Master, culminating in the founding of Malvern Academy.'' Brother Roe begun his ministry in the Burlington Association about 1864 as pastor, for a short time, of the Jefferson Church, and also at Charleston in the Keokuk Association. From 1865 to '67 he labored as Missionary of the Home Missionary Society in Missouri, in Gentry, Worth, Harrison and perhaps other counties. In 1868 he returned to Iowa and became pastor at Sidney. "His life was eminent for usefulness in the upbuilding of churches, the promotion of all worthy benevolent enterprises, the advancement of our educational work, and especially was he blessed of God in leading precious souls to Jesus."
Page 489-490
Rev. J. B. Peat died in California November 15, 1876. He was born in England September 24, 1816. His father died when he was two years old, and his mother when he was eight, leaving him an orphan. In his young manhood he yielded to the attractions of America and emigrated to the New World. He was converted and gave his whole heart and service to the cause of Christ and won for himself esteem as a zealous and conscientious preacher. He was ordained in 1860, at Rogers' Grove, Linn county. Iowa, but owing to poor health he was unable to continue long in pastoral work. About 1870 he visited California for his health and received much benefit. He was pastor at, the City of Red Bluff where he died. "He was very active in Temperance work and other reform movements," and also with his pen. His first published work was a pamphlet entitled" The Bible and Pedo-Baptists Against Open Communion." The title was afterwards changed to "The Bible Against Open Communion. "The Baptists Examined" is a volume of considerable size, probably his principal work. He is said to have published two other works, " Sure," and " Parsonage Pencilings."
Page 490
Rev. John Warren, pastor for four or five years of the Ainsworth Church, died some time in the spring of 1877. "Father Warren," as he was most fittingly called, "was a man of deep and fervent piety, of strong faith and thoroughly imbued with a spirit of consecration to his Master, walking in the ordinances of the Lord blameless." He was ordained at Chariton, Iowa, about 1859. He was afterwards pastor at New London, Denmark, and perhaps other places, and finally at Ainsworth. He was also chaplain of the Penitentiary at Fort Madison. He had a simple, unobtrusive, unaffected manner, beautifully manifest in all the walks of life, and won the affection and esteem of all who knew him.
Rev. L. Frescoln of Brookville died in 1877. He spent most of his ministerial life in Ohio, where it is said by one having personal knowledge, " that he served long and faithfully preaching the word of life to perishing sinners, and gathering many precious souls to the church."
Historical Sketch Baptist in Iowa Chapter LII
Rev. a. H. Rumbaugh of Charleston and Rev. G. W. Dowd, near Ottumwa, passed away in 1878. Of Brother
Rumbaugh it is said, "A consistent Christian, a zealous worker and a faithful pastor. Brother Dowd was pastor in the Davenport Association as early as 1861, at Zion, LeClaire, Hickory Grove, and Blue Grass. He was pastor of the last named for a number of years.
Rev. Wm. J. Sparks died at his home near Moingona, Boone county, June 30, 1878. "Father Sparks" may well be called the spiritual father of the Baptist Churches in this part of Iowa. He was born in North Carolina, and was one of those who forsook the home of their early childhood to get away from the evils of slavery. He came first to Indiana, and about 1852 removed from there to Boone county, Iowa. He was the first Baptist minister in all that region of the Des Moines Valley north of the city of Des Moines. He organized the North Union, Mount Pleasant and Great Bend Churches and preached and labored with unremitting zeal as the pioneer in all this region. He had a most tender and affectionate way of calling his brethren and sisters "My Father's children," and he will be remembered for many years for his own fatherly and loving spirit.
Rev. R. J. Reynolds died at Ames, August 8, 1879., He was from the state of New York and had been in Iowa
only a little more than a year. This was his first and only pastorate in this state. He was a very earnest and devoted Christian, and was lamented most by those who knew him best.
Page 492
Rev. Wm. Wood of Cedar Falls died July 21, 1879, aged 73 years. He came from the state of Pennsylvania,
where he was well known for his activity in the ministry, and settled at DeWitt, Iowa, in 1857. After a few years he removed to Cedar Falls, and for many years, indeed till near the time of his death, was actively engaged in missionary and evangelistic work. He was of fearless and indomitable energy, and rebuked sin with an unsparing but sanctified zeal. Many souls were by him led to the cross, and many churches in Northern Iowa can testify to his success in missionary work.
Rev. James Christie Hurd, M.D., on Sunday, December 21, 1879, while yet in " the fullness of manhood and activity, suddenly passed away, in a few hours after preaching to his people with his usual power." He was born in Nova Scotia, April 17, 1829. "He early prepared himself for the practice of medicine, but soon felt that it was his duty to preach the gospel." He became pastor of the Cedar Street Baptist Church, Buffalo, N. Y., in 1873, and while in that city occupied an editorial position on the Buffalo Express. From Buffalo he removed to St. Thomas, Ontario, and in 1876 came to Iowa and took charge of the Baptist Church at Marshalltown. In 1878 he became pastor of the 1st Baptist Church, Burlington, where he " died in the harness " on the date mentioned above. "Though he had been in Iowa less than four years, yet by marked ability and consecration to his work, he had won a place of great power and influence throughout the state." In October, 1878, he was elected president of the Iowa Baptist State Convention, which position he filled with "signal ability" until the time of his death.
Rev. Joshua Hill died at Guthrie Center, December 4, 1879. He came to Iowa at the age of 70, nearly ten years before his death. But though so advanced in years he was an efficient pastor for three years, and a useful member of the church as long as he lived.
Page 493
Rev. Wm. Roney died at Chicago June 12, 1879, of disease of the heart, aged 64. He was born within the present limits of Philadelphia, September 6, 1815, graduated from Madison University in 1843, and from Hamilton Theological Seminary in 1845 and married to Irene B. Buell in the same year. His first pastorate was with the Hamilton Baptist Church in Ohio. His last pastorate was in the same state. He was pastor at Clinton, Iowa, in 1868 and '69. The text of his funeral discourse was one of his favorite quotations, repeated with great earnestness on his deathbed; "I know that my Redeemer liveth."
Rev. O. L. Critenden died at New Sharon, February 23, 1880. He was born in Chenango county, New York, and was 66 years old at the time of his death. He was educated at Madison University and was ordained in Chautauqua county, New York, in 1844. He had been pastor in the states of New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio, and for several years at the 2d Church, Pella, Iowa. He was a man of great conscientiousness and purity of life. Rev. James Frey, Sr., at Sigourney, January 3, 1880, Rev. T. C. Briggs at Chickasaw, January 24, 1880, and Rev. Wilford Whitaker at Iowa Falls, July 9, 1880, make up our record for that year.
Rev. F. A. Gates, of Massilon, Cedar county, died suddenly in Kansas, October 21, 1880, while visiting his youngest daughter. Born at Attleboro, Massachusetts, March15, 1810, converted in his youth. Was in Waterville College from 1833 to '36. Was ordained at Marietta, Georgia, in 1842. Spent much of his time in teaching, and preaching occasionally as opportunity offered. He came to Iowa in 1852. Brother Gates was a life member of the Baptist State Convention, used frequently to attend its meetings and contributed liberally to its work.
Page 494
Rev. Hiram Burnett died at his home in Mt. Pleasant, January 8, 1881, in his 82d year. Born in Georgia in
1799, but removed with his parents when ten years of age to Winchester, Adams county, Ohio. He was ordained about 1832, and labored in Ohio for ten years. He came to Iowa in 1832 and settled at Mt. Pleasant where he labored for twelve years. Many of the churches in the Burlington and Keokuk Associations can testify to the untiring activity and devotion of Father Burnett in the earlier days of their history and struggles.
Rev. Wm. Young of Charleston, Iowa, died March 25, 1881. He was born in Upper Canada. Was "born again" in Wapello county, Iowa in 1862, and ordained at Charleston in 1866. "Through the fifteen years of his ministerial life many souls, through him were led to Christ." Rev. Adna Orcutt died at the home of his son in Kansas City, April 19, 1881, in his 77th year. He was born in Vermont, removed when 43 years of age to Rockford, Illinois, was ordained and preached to the Cherry Valley Church. Afterwards came to Hardin county, Iowa, and supplied the Hardin City, Point Pleasant, Xenia, and perhaps other churches. "He was earnest and conscientious in his work, even going beyond his strength in his old age, to do his Master's service."
Rev. Thomas Powell died in Keokuk, May 14, 1881. He was born in Orange county, Ohio, in December 1837. He entered the ministry before the outbreak of the Rebellion. He went into the army and served part of the time as chaplain of his regiment. He afterwards preached in Ohio. He came to Iowa in 1878 and preached to the church at Ft. Madison a year and nine months, closing April 1, 1880. He preached also at Charleston and West Point. He had studied law and been admitted to the bar. "He was a man of marked traits and of true consecration, and as a speaker he had peculiar ability."
Page 495
Rev. Albert G. Ebebhart died at Waterloo, May 22, 1881, in his 71st year. He was born in Greensboro, Pennsylvania, in 1810. He was a glass-blower by trade in early life, and was married in 1833 to Miss Eliza Evans. He was licensed to preach by the Greensboro Church in 1813, and was ordained as an evangelist in 1844. He first entered Iowa in 1854 and settled at Muscatine. He was after-wards pastor at Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Cedar Rapids, His pastorates were usually short, but he always left behind him a healthful religious spirit. He had four or five sons in the army of the Union, and he served for a time as chaplain of the 12th Iowa Infantry. "Life's fitful fever over, he rests well." Rev. A. W. Russell died at Lake City, June 5, 1881, at the age of 64. He came into Iowa in 1855, and was well known as one of our active ministers, as a missionary and a pastor, in the earlier years.
Rev. Alva Bush, L.L.D., Principal of Cedar Valley Seminary, died June 26, 1881, at Osage. He was stricken with paralysis, in the street, June 23, and lived but three days. He was born January 25, 1830, and was married in 1853 to Eliza J. Moore of Jamestown, New York. His education was, mainly, received at Jamestown Academy and at Burlington University, Iowa. He was ordained pastor of the church at Strawberry Point in November, 1859, and was afterwards pastor at Fayette, and instructor in the Upper Iowa University. In 1863 he went to Osage and began the Cedar Valley Seminary, where we have already traced his most honorable career for eighteen years. He was recognized as one of Iowa's ablest educators. "A thorough scholar himself, he impressed upon his pupils his own methods of thought and study. His bearing and presence were an inspiration to those who learned of him." "Thus in many respects was Prof. Bush a model man.''
Page 496
Rev. J W. Denison passed to his rest in 1881. He was born in New York, April 9, 1818. He entered the ministry in 1846 and served successively the churches at Upper Alton, Brimfield and Rock Island, Ill. His health failing, he came to Iowa in 1856 as agent and co-partner of the Providence Western Land Company, and entered over 20,000 acres of land in Crawford county. Here he settled down, founded the town of Denison, and during his first year of residence here organized the Denison Baptist Church, of which he was pastor until 1863. After his retirement "every successive pastor found in him a judicious counselor, an earnest co-laborer, and a warm personal friend."
Rev. C. G. Smith died at Creston, Iowa, in September, 1881. He was born at Homer, N. Y., November 27, 1813, and was baptized at the age of 18 by Elder A. Bennett. He attended school at a Methodist institution at Cazenovia, N. Y., and while there became a Methodist, but in 1837 returned to the Baptist faith and was licensed to preach. He went to Ohio and preached with success, then to Michigan, where he formed a Baptist church and was ordained as pastor. After a very active ministerial life and much affliction he came to Iowa and went on a farm, and afterwards passed on to his reward above.
The records of 1881 bear the names of two deacons and one beloved sister, in addition to the long and notable list of ministers, who went to their rest. Deacon Edwin Cady at Danville, December 14, 1880, Deacon Azel Pratt at Waukon, February 19, 1881, and the beloved wife of Brother H. H. Smith of Davenport, December 10, 1880. Of Deacon Cady "Rev. G. J. Johnson once said that in all his extensive travels and acquaintance, he never met with a more benevolent man." The present writer can attest the same characteristic in a remarkable degree. Deacon Pratt "was an honored servant of the Lord, identifying himself with all the interests of the denomination to which he belonged," Of sister Smith it is said, "Some who come to earth are ever found in the chambers of the dying. They comfort the bereaved, they lift up the fallen, they nerve the faltering, they lead reforms and are first in the church. Such a person was Sister H. H. Smith of Davenport, who died in that city December 10, 1880, after four years of protracted suffering. She was born February 25th, 1819, and was baptized by Dr. Gillett into the 11th Baptist Church of Philadelphia in 1838. Was married to H. H. Smith in 1842, and moved to Davenport in 1850.
Page 497
Rev. Philemon Perky Shirley died since 1880, we believe at Cheyenne. He was born December 16, 1827, in Hancock county, Indiana, was converted and baptized in 1840, and in 184L his parents moved to Iowa. Thirsting for knowledge, he studied, taught, and preached among the destitute, until, with a fair knowledge of natural science, he entered Madison University, New York. In 1854he became pastor at Grafton where he was ordained. About 1855 he returned to Iowa. He labored with many churches in Illinois and Iowa, much of the time as an evangelist and helper of other pastors, and baptized about 1,000 converts. In 1879 he went with his family to California, and became pastor at Petaluma, but poor health preventing continuous pulpit work, he had returned part way back towards the east when he was called home. Sympathetic, genial and eloquent he continued to plead with men to accept the gospel as long as he had strength.
Page 498
Rev. Joseph T. Robert, LL. D., president of Atlanta Seminary, died in that city, since 1880. (The date in the two last cases not known.) He was born in Robertville, S.C, November, 1807. He was baptized in October, 1822, at Robertville, and in 1825 entered Columbian College, Washington, D. C. He was graduated with the first honors of his class at Brown University in 1828. In 1882 he was licensed to preach by the Robertville Church and entered Furman Theological Seminary, where he remained two years, and was ordained pastor of his home church in 1834 and in 1839 removed to Kentucky to become pastor at Covington. He returned south again about 1848, and was pastor at Savannah, Georgia, and in 1850 was called to Portsmouth, Ohio. About 1856 he came to Iowa, and lived a year or so on a little farm and preached at Ottumwa. He then became Professor of Mathematics and Natural Sciences in Burlington University. In 1864 he was secured by the Iowa State University as Professor of Languages, and in 1869 accepted the presidency of Burlington University. The necessity of a milder climate soon took him back to Georgia, where he accepted, in 1871 the care of the Augusta Institute for colored ministers established by the American Baptist Home Mission Society, which was removed to Atlanta, in 1879 and incorporated with the Atlanta Baptist Seminary under the presidency of Dr. Robert, "A scholar of the highest order and a perfect Christian gentleman." Dr. Robert was of Huguenot descent. As a preacher and theologian he was sound and learned, a scholar of wide proficiency.
Rev. Daniel Jewett died in the spring of 1882. He came to Iowa in 1844 and settled in Van Buren county. We have no statistical data of his life. Rev. Edward Otis, pastor of the Hayden Grove Church, died September 1, 1882. He was born in Ohio in 1816, and after three years residence in Illinois, removed to Iowa in 1856. Nearly fifty years a Christian, and twenty-three years a pastor, he was for seventeen years of the time pastor of the Hayden Grove Church. He was a faithful minister of the gospel and a devout and zealous Christian. (See page 386.) Dea. Spencer Allen of Anamosa, departed this life in 1882,aged 72. He had been a member of the Anamosa church sixteen years. He was greatly afflicted with Asthma for several years, but did not give up doing good. He was greatly interested in church-building and in Home and Foreign Missions, and made liberal provisions for both in the final disposition of his property. He left an earnest, Christian ''helpmeet"' who still lives to continue his good works. Clement Leach, Jr., died after only four years residence in Iowa in 1882. Educated for the law, but, "compelled by failing sight to relinquish that profession, he sought to live for Christ." He had been an efficient helper in the Sunday School at Galesburg, Illinois. Mrs. A. Plumley, wife of the veteran Missionary, Rev. A. Plumley, died at Goldfield, March 3, 1882. "Her life was devoted to the cause of Christ from childhood." As a wife and mother faithful and loving, her last work was work for the Master. Mrs. Burkholder, wife of Rev. J. C. Burkholder, died at her home in Dakota. She was well known in Iowa where her husband preached for many years.
Page 499
Rev. James H. Pratt died February 6, 1883 at Atlantic, Iowa. (See page 398.) He had been but a few years in Iowa, but had attached himself to those who knew him, especially at Emerson and Atlantic where he served as pastor. "As a pastor lie was kind, full of sympathy, like the Master, ready to do the Master's bidding. As a preacher, clear in statements of truth, sympathetic in its utterance, and earnest in its vindication. He ranked among our best men in all departments of ministerial life."
Page 500
Rev. A. C. Sangster died at Iowa City, January 3, 1883, in the 86th year of his age. He was born in London,
England, March 6, 1797. His father was a member of the East India Company. He was ordained to the Baptist ministry in 1822, at Dummo, Essex. He came to America in1832, and preached in a number of places in New York, city and state, and in Michigan, and in 1861 he came to Iowa, and though already advanced in years he served acceptably the churches at Downey, Richmond, Lone Tree, and Columbus Junction, besides preaching betimes at other places. For six years he was confined to his room, where thrice a day he prayed that he might be' permitted to go away and be with Jesus. He retained his memory to the last to a wonderful degree, and from a mind richly stored with choice Scripture and Hymns, he brought forth for his own encouragement and the edification of all." Some-times the old fire would "flame up again and again, and he would say, "I believe I could preach better than I ever could." It has been the present writer's privilege to meet few men whose minds were so richly stored with spiritual truth.
Rev. Thomas W. Clark died at DeWitt May 11, 1883, after a residence there of forty-three years. So says the Obituary Report of 1883. The earliest record we find of his name in the minutes is in 1858, where he is named as coming into Iowa in 1857. It is possible he may then have returned from a temporary absence from the state, having entered the ministry in the mean time. He was born in Queen's county. New Brunswick, February 24, 1808, and removed to Stark county, Ohio, in 1830. He was the founder of the DeWitt Church and for many years the pastor, and was always a ready and willing worker in every good cause. The later years of his ministerial work he labored in the capacity of an evangelist, and under his faithful labors many feeble churches were strengthened and enlarged." Mrs. P. P. Golding, a constituent member of the church at Mechanicsville, died during the summer of 1883. "She became a life member of the Iowa Baptist State Convention in 1868, and often manifested a grateful remembrance of the Board for its aid to the weak church of which she was a member, as well as a deep interest in the work throughout the state."
Page 501
Rev. Jeremiah Hall, D. D., died within the last few years, having resided of late years at Port Huron, Michigan. He was born at Swanzey, New Hampshire, May 21,1805. Baptized in 1816, in 1847 he was admitted by Madison University to the degree of Master of Arts, and in 1854 the degree of D. D. was conferred upon him by Shurtleff College. He took the regular course of studies in Newton Theological Institution, finishing in 1880. He was ordained February 3, 1831 in Westford, Vermont, and preached there and at Fairfax, and afterwards at Bennington. He was much interested in the founding of institutions of learning. In the spring of 1885 he removed to Michigan, and through his influence Kalamazoo College was located where it was, financial obligations assumed to secure it causing him afterwards " great' embarrassment and loss."' In 1853 he was elected president of Granville College, Ohio, and soon after entering upon his duties the name was changed to Denison University. He lived for a number of years at Waverly, Iowa, and at Shell Rock, where he was pastor of the Baptist church. It was the writer's lot to be one of his early successors at Shell Rock, and to take knowledge of the most excellent influence and Godly testimony of his life and work while there.
Page 502
Rev. Eber Crane died at Mt. Pleasant, April 4, 1884 in the 76th year of his age. He was born in Killingsworth, Conn. He was converted in his seventeenth year. Recognizing in early life the divine call to preach the gospel, he spent three years at the South Reading Academy, and in 1831 entered Newton Theological Seminary and graduated in 1832, and was soon after ordained pastor of the Baptist Church at Amesbury, Mass. He came west to Ohio under appointment of the Home Mission Society, and "served with much acceptance, churches at Akron, McConnellsville and Garrettville." In August 1853, he came to Mt. Pleasant, and though he held no pastorate in this state, "spent the declining years of his life in supplying pastor-less churches near his home." "Like a shock of corn fully ripe he was gathered to his fathers."
Rev. H. N. Millard died in the Hospital at Independence. May 2d, 1884 He was born in the state of New York, February 16, 1833. He came to Iowa in 1853, and was afterwards converted and joined the Baptist church at Comanche. He was ordained March, 26, 1872, and settled as pastor of the church at Lyons, where he served two years, followed by three years at Mechanicsville. "Here his ministry was blessed to the conversion of over twenty souls." He was pastor next at Boone, Iowa, nearly four years, and over fifty were" baptized. For the last year and a half of his ministry he was pastor of the Mt. Pleasant and Pilot Mound Churches, and Missionary of the Convention. He was "a good minister of Jesus Christ," kind and loving, and pure in heart and life. "Greatly loved by all classes, and especially by the young." Rev. John Wilson died at Winfield in 1884. He was lately from England, a student of Spurgeon's College. And Dea. Robert Cole, at Council Bluffs, February 22, 1884. Brother Cole was long a useful member of the Mt. Pleasant Church and was well and favorably known all over southeastern Iowa. We close our Obituary Notes with 1884. The annals of 1885 and '86 contain extended lists which rapidly closing space will not permit us to copy, even in condensed form. We may add here the suggestion that those possessing themselves of these Sketches, by taking care to obtain and preserve the Annuals of the two last and of succeeding[years, may have quite an unbroken history both in this and all other departments.
Page 503
For the facts given in the foregoing notes, of the long list of soldiers of the cross who have done duty in Iowa in some part of their service, and have received promotion, we  have not been dependent upon any one source of information, but have drawn upon a variety of different sources, and have been aided in many instances by a long and intimate personal knowledge of the individuals. For convenience of reference we mention here the names of those who have been called up higher during the last two years, referring to the respective Annuals for the facts of their lives.  Professor David Forrester Call at his home in Iowa City, August 1885. Mrs. Josephine Webber Bowman, the beloved wife of Hon. M. T. Y. Bowman of Des Moines, at the time the president of the State Convention, in November 1885. Rev. Wm. H. Turton at his home in Farmington, Iowa, December 19, 1884, in the 78d year of his age. Rev. Nathaniel Hays in the 72d year of his age. Ordained in 1849, and came to Iowa in 1856. Baptized over 500 converts in the States of Illinois and Iowa. Rev. M. Terwilliger at Murray, September 16, 1885. in the 71st year of his age. Deacon Gideon Bear at Richmond, Iowa, in his 75th year. Sister Howell, wife of Rev. A. F. Howell, at Toledo, Iowa, June 4, 1885. Converted in London, England, under the preaching of D. L. Moody, married in 1875, and came with her husband to Iowa in 1884. Rev. J. M. Mack, at Boyden, Sioux county, Iowa, March 15, 1885, in his 76th year.
Page 504
Rev. Thomas Miller, thirty-five years a pioneer minister in Southern Iowa, the father of our missionary. Sister, L. Ella Miller, died in Kansas in 1885. Rev. Thomas C. Townsend at Sidney, Iowa, March 5, 1885, in the 87th year of his age. Ordained in 1834. Deacon Major W. Rudd, one of the constituent members of the Iowa Baptist State Convention, at his home in Washington, Iowa, March 25, 1885. Rev. J. Hendrickson, "doing a good work among the Danes in our state," died of apoplexy at Independence, December 17, 1886, in his 59th year. Rev. Andrew E. Lovegreist, at his home in Forest City July 17, 1886, only thirty-three years old. Rev. Lyman Stillson, the Hero Missionary, at his home in Jefferson, Iowa, March 23, 1886, in his 82d year. Rev. Elisha R. Swain, April 7, 1880, aged 85 years, 1 month and 25 days. Rev. A. D. Abbott at Delhi, August 11, 1886. Deacon Albion Parsons at his home in Burlington in 1886. Dea. Samuel Harlan at his home in Atlantic, in October 1886. Mrs. Ruth Prey, wife of Rev. James Prey of Sigourney, April 1, 1886. Mrs. Eliza C. Critenden", widow of Rev. O. L. Critenden May 19, 1886, at Des Moines. Mrs. Ada Garton Dewey, a life member of the Convention, daughter of W. L. Garton of Des Moines, in 1886. Rev. Lewis Brasted. (See page 132.) Rev. Archibald L. Parr at his home in Florida in the fall of 1886, at the age of 60. "The end of a noble, useful and beautiful life." Some of his most successful work was done at Iowa Palls in our state. Dea. Penny of the Pisgah Church. A shock of corn fully ripe," late in 1886. And now as we clode this record of lives translated from works to re-wards; as in our mind's eye we gaze upward towards the golden streets; as we think of Him who ascended before, may we not hear the angels salving, as to the astonished disciples, "Why stand ye gazing up into heaven", this same Jesus which is taken lip from you into heaven, shall so come again in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven." "Even so, come Lord Jesus."
back to Baptist Sketches content

back to History Index