Anderson, Walter W.
Mr. Anderson of this review received the ordinary education incident to Jefferson, supplementing it later by a course at the Capital City Commercial College, from which he was graduated in 1889. He immediately entered the employ of the City Bank as bookkeeper, where he remained for five years. Feeling that perhaps merchandising would be more profitable and more to his liking, he entered the hardware business, in which he continued for three years. When D. H. Houston offered him a good price for the establishment he had built up, he decided to sell and subsequently removed to Scranton, where he once more entered the banking business. In 1898 he was made cashier of the Bank of Scranton. This institution was established by T. P. La Rue in 1878 and was sold by him to Robert Eason and later became incorporated as the State Bank of Scranton when the present owner purchased the same. It was then organized with Charles Bofink, president; Henry Haag, vice president; Walter Anderson, cashier; and A. E. Adams, assistant cashier. They do a general banking and exchange business.
Mr. Anderson is influential in many fraternal organizations. He is a member of the blue lodge, of Scranton chapter and the commandery at Jefferson, as well as the Shrine at Des Moines. He has always given his political support to the republican party, and for four years served as mayor of Scranton. Beginning as a bookkeeper in the banking business, Mr. Anderson has steadily made his way to the front. The banks are always on a lookout for young men of integrity and reliability, and they early recognized these qualities in Mr. Anderson. He has had, in addition, what few possess, a business experience to supplement his value in his present line.
Transcribed from "Past and Present of Greene County, Iowa Together With Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Prominent and Leading Citizens and Illustrious Dead," by E. B. Stillman assisted by an Advisory Board consisting of Paul E. Stillman, Gillum S. Toliver, Benjamin F. Osborn, Mahlon Head, P. A. Smith and Lee B. Kinsey, Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1907, pp. 223-224.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer