R. J. Dieter
R J DIETER, proprietor of the Westside Livery, Sale and Feed Barn, was born in Canton, Ohio, May 3, 1857, a son of George and Ellen (McKinn) Dieter, of German and Irish parentage. The mother died in Ohio when our subject was ten years of age, and the father now resides at Vail.
They were the parents of ten children, of whom R J was the eldest child. He was reared and educated in his native State, and after reaching a suitable age was employed by a market gardener eight years. He then conducted a meat market for a time, and in 1885 came to this county, where he was engaged in farming until opening his livery business in this city.
He bought the barn in September, 1891, of W J Classcock, who had conducted the business in this city for three or four years. Mr Dieter keeps the best of driving horses, both single and double teams, good carriages and wagons, and everything is found in first-class order.
He is well acquainted with the people of Crawford and Carroll counties, and takes a traveler quickly and safely to any point, at reasonable rates. Although in business but a short time, he has made many friends, by his social and jovial ways. His barn is located just west of the hotel. Mr Dieter is the owner of the well-known Hambletonian, Gee McPherson, a horse of great beauty, sixteen and a Half hands high, of good action, and weighing 1,250 pounds. He is one of the best horses in the county, and gives promise of great speed.
Our subject was married at Toledo, Ohio, in 1885, to Miss Lizzie Shull, a native of that city. They have one child, Olive Gertrude. In his social relations Mr Dieter is a member of the K of P, Ainsworth Lodge, Not 148. He is yet in the prime of life, intelligent and genial in his manner, and is a popular business man.
Source: Biographical History of Crawford, Ida and Sac Counties, Iowa; The Lewis Publishing Company; Chicago; 1893; page 686Submitted by Norm Prince