A successful farmer and a faithful public officer, John Hagge deservedly ranks high in the estimation of the people of Crawford county. He is a native of this county and from his earliest recollection has been closely identified with its agricultural interests, being now the owner of a beautiful farm in Hayes township, of which he has just reason to be proud.
He was born June 20, 1869, and is a son of Heinrich and Sophia Magdalena (Grage) Hagge, record of whom appears elsewhere in this work. John Hagge received the advantages of education in the common schools and from his early boyhood gave evidence of special adaptability to agricultural pursuits.
He continued upon the home farm until he reached the age of twenty-two and then began life on his own account by renting two hundred acres in Crawford county, which he cultivated to good advantage for five years. He then bought one hundred and sixty acres in Hayes township, where he has since carried on general farming and stock-raising. He makes use of the best facilities in his work and no farm in the county can claim much better results. His home is modern and the general appearance of the place gives evidence of marked prosperity. Hi is also the owner of valuable property in West Side.
On March 1, 1892, Mr Hagge was united in marriage to Miss Anna M Thiedeman, a daughter of Claus and Margaretta (Gruenwald) Thiedeman, of Crawford county, and one child, Gertrude, has come to bless this union, her natal day being March 19, 1904.
Mr Hagge is a man of general intelligence and broad views. His ideas are such as command respect wherever he is known and he always has at heart the best interests of the county. It is owning to men of his energy and character that Crawford county occupies an enviable position among the counties of the state.
Politically he has since arriving at manhood given his allegiance to the democratic party. He had been very active in its councils and highly efficient as a worker. His efforts have met with due appreciation by his friends and neighbors and he was elected township clerk, in which position he served faithfully for sixteen years.
At the present time he is a member of the board of county supervisors and through his good judgment and thorough knowledge of the conditions of the county and the wants of the people he has been largely instrumental in promoting the interest of this section. He is a firm believer in the authority of the Old and New Testaments and a valued member of the Lutheran church.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.
Submitted by Norm Prince