John E. Johnston
John E. Johnston, deceased, who for more than thirty years was a citizen of Crawford county and died on a farm in this county in 1902, was a native of Sweden. He was reared and educated in the land of his birth and, believing that conditions were more favorable in America for an ambitious young man desirous of securing the best advantages available for himself and family, he crossed the ocean in 1871 and during the remainder of his life was a patriotic and useful citizen of this republic, He settled in Crawford county, Iowa, and by his industry and high character gained recognition as one of its substantial citizens. His memory is revered by all who knew him. Mrs. Johnston is still living and makes her home with her daughter in Otter Creek township. There were six children in their family, three of whom still survive.
His daughter, Hannah Johnston, who is now the owner of a well improved farm in Otter Creek township, was born in Sweden. She came to this country with her parents and grew to womanhood in Crawford county, receiving an excellent education in the public schools, and under her mother became thoroughly acquainted with the duties of the household.
In 1884 she was united in marriage to C. G. Carlson, also a native of Sweden. He came to America in 1881 and located in Crawford county, where he became acquainted with his future wife. There were six children in their family, namely: Alfred B., who was born December 17, 1884, and died December 30, 1888; Selma E., who was born February 11, 1887, and is living at home; Walter S., who was born September 3, 1888, and is also at home; Agnes E., who was born September 24. 1890, and died August 16, 1896; Edith E., born March 7, 1893, and Esther M. born May 31, 1896, both of whom are at home.
The mother of these children is one of the well known residents of the county, having made her home here for many years. The home farm, which comprises one hundred and fifty-nine acres on section 2, Otter Creek township. has been greatly improved under her direction and is provided with a handsome residence and all modern facilities for its cultivation, making it one of the desirable properties in this part of the county. She is a lady of fine intelligence and strength of character and has many friends and acquaintances who have been attracted by her sterling worth. Religiously she adheres to the Free Mission church, in which she was reared, and is an earnest worker in its behalf. She has given her children liberal advantages of education and has trained them to become useful and honorable members of society, willing at all times to perform their part in forwarding the interests of those with whom they are associated.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.