Dr. Joseph Clarence Robinson, D.D.S.
A native of Crawford county, Dr. Joseph Clarence Robinson belongs to a well known family, the name of Robinson being a synonym in Crawford county for highest integrity and honor. For fourteen years past he has been engaged in active practice at Denison and his reputation now extends over a wide territory in this part of the state.
He was born in Milford township, August 18, 1873, son of John C. and Allie J. (Snodgrass) Robinson, the former a native of Canada and the latter of West Virginia. The father was reared and educated in Canada and came to Boone, Iowa, about 1868, where he secured employment as a clerk in a store. In 1870 he purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Milford township, upon which he established his home. He prospered in his work and added to his possessions until he owned five hundred and eighty acres, becoming one of the best known citizens in this part of the county. He passed away in 1898 at the age of fifty-six years. His wife is now living at Los Angeles, California. She is a member of the Methodist church as was her husband.
Our subject's grandfather Robinson was a native of England. He emigrated to Canada and located on a farm at Lynne. In his family were five children: Henry, John C., Joseph, Richard and Mary Ann.
The maternal grandfather was Rev. J. W. Snodgrass, a native of West Virginia. He was one of the pioneer preachers and he and the father of United States Senator Deliver traveled the same circuit in the early days. His wife was Mary Dudley. They came to Boone county about 1866 and passed the remainder of their lives there. In their family were four children: Allie J., Asby, Mary and Mattie, the two last named being twins. There were four children born to John C. and Allie Robinson, namely: William, now living at Los Angeles, California; John R., of Milford township; and Joseph C. and Richard, twins, the former the subject of this review and the latter of Milford township.
Joseph Clarence Robinson was reared upon his father's farm and secured his early education in the district schools, later attending the public schools of Denison and the Denison Normal & Business College. Having decided to devote his attention to dentistry, he entered the dental department of the State University at Iowa City but later transferred his allegiance to the Northwestern Dental School of Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1897 with a degree of D. D. S. He at once began practice at Manning, Iowa, but on August 17, 1897, located in Denison, where he has built up a large and lucrative business. He is a member of the Iowa State Dental Society.
On the 1st of June, 1899, Dr. Robinson was united in marriage to Miss Emilie Gloe, a native of Clinton, Iowa, and they have one child, Maxine Gloe Josephine.
Dr. Robinson owes his success to conscientious application to his profession, having first made thorough preparation by study under some of the most competent instructors in America. He keeps fully informed as to the latest discoveries and methods and is recognized by his brother practitioners as one of the most skilled dentists in the state. Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order and has taken the thirty-second degree in Scottish Rite Masonry, being a member of Sylvan Lodge, No. 507, A. F. & A. M., and the Des Moines Consistory. He also belongs to Za-Ga-Zig Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and to the Knights of Pythias. Politically, he adheres to the republican party but has never cared for the honors or emoluments of office as he prefers to devote his time and attention to his profession.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.