Although he is only twenty-eight years of age, Eugene Crandall, of Dow City, is well established as a farmer and bids fair as time advances to become known as one of the prominent men of Crawford county.
He is a native of Panama, Shelby county, Iowa, born July 24, 1883, a son of George and Jennett (Martin) Crandall. The father was born in Hancock county, Illinois, September 9, 1843, and was of English and German ancestry. He was reared to farm life and obtained his education in the district schools. He lived with his parents until he reached his majority, after which he worked at various occupations, finally purchasing a farm near Panama, Iowa.
At the time of the Civil war he responded to the call of his country and served as a private in Company I, Fifteenth Iowa Volunteers, under Lieutenant William W. Williams. He was in the field for nine months and was honorably discharged while at a hospital June 17, 1865.
On December 12, 1874, he was married to Miss Jennett Martin, who was born in Whiteside county, Illinois. Four children were born to this union: Maud, Lulu and Ada, all deceased; and Eugene. The father died at Dow City in 1905. He was a man of many admirable characteristics and aimed to perform his duty in everything he undertook. Politically he gave his support to the democratic party and while he never urged his claims for public position he served very acceptably in several township offices. He was a valued member of Pari an Lodge, No. 321, A. F. & A. M., and attended the Church of Latter Day Saints, his wife being a member of that organization.
The grandparents of our subject on the paternal side were Benjamin and Rebecca (Lemons) Crandall, who were among the very early settlers of Shelby county, Iowa, and there entered a tract of government land. There were seven children in their family, only one of whom survives. The grandparents on the maternal side were James and Alvira (Spencer) Martin. They were born in New York state and were early settlers of Illinois.
Eugene Crandall possessed good advantages of education in the district schools and continued his studies at the Panama high school, later taking a commercial course at the Normal School of Woodbine, Iowa. He lived with his parents near Panama until 1901, in which year the family removed to Woodbine and after six months to Dow City. He has lived on the farm where he now resides since 1902 and since the death of his father has had complete charge of the place. He has made a number of valuable improvements in the last four years, including an air pressure water system for the house and horse barn, there being natural spring water for the feed yards. He engages in general agriculture and has been especially successful in feeding stock for the market.
On May 6, 1908, at Dow City, Mr. Crandall was married to Miss Winnie L. Wiggins, a daughter of Milton G. and Sarah E. (Hayes) Wiggins. Two children have been born to this union, George Alvin and Evelyn Gertrude. The father of Mrs. Crandall was born at Nashville, Ohio, October 6, 1843, and moved to Iowa in 1860, at the time of the Lincoln and Douglas campaign. He served in the Civil war from September 9, 1861, until August 2, 1865, and was married March 23, 1871, at the residence of H. C. Laut, of Denison, Iowa, to Miss Sarah E. Hayes. She was born July 8, 1851, in Des Moines county, Iowa, and at three years of age moved with her parents to Monona county, the family taking up their residence at Denison in 1866.
Mr. Crandall has ever since he arrived at voting age been a supporter of the candidates and principles of the democratic party. He recognizes his responsibilities as a citizen and has served for six years as a member of the city council at Dow City. He became a member of Globe Lodge, No. 280, I. O. O. F., February 3, 1906, and has held the offices of keeper of records and seal, vice grand, noble grand and past noble grand in his lodge. He was made a Mason in September, 1907, and is a member of Ally Lodge, No. 578. He is not affiliated with any religious denomination, but is friendly toward them all, being an attendant generally of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has from his earliest recollection been identified with agriculture and stock-raising and the noble animal, the horse, has always been to him a source of delight. He loves his horses and their ready obedience to his slightest command indicates that they appreciate a real friend. He is a man of kindly temperament who seeks to add to the comfort and happiness of all with whom he is associated, being accorded a high place in the estimation of his friends and neighbors. On account of his acknowledged standing and his personal worth he is eminently worthy of mention in this work.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.