The Victorians of Clarion

Early Houses in Clarion, Iowa

The E. A. Alexander Home

119 Third Avenue N.E.

This beautiful example of Victorian Architecture was completed in 1884 by Duane Young, Sr. The home had been commissioned by Young for his daughter and son-in-law, the E.A. Alexanders. With its two-story veranda and gingerbread trim, the house themed a fairytale appearance as it eloquently adorned a double-lot parcel. With the intent to further accent the home, each of the two lots were then garnished with manicured trees as well as immaculate rose gardens. As per the Houses on the Prairie, 1976 , the entrance hall to the home was stately, having a high ceiling and a parquetry floor. From this main hall, a large, open staircase gave way to an open balcony on the second floor, giving a bird's eye view to the beautiful entryway below. Likewise, another proud element of the domicile were two embellished parlors, both also having high ceilings, extensive woodwork, as well as elaborate furnishings. Though most of the ornate Victorian decor, trim, veranda, and porch have been removed, the house still stands today across the street from the United Methodist Church in Clarion.

Wright County Monitor, Clarion, Iowa   ----    May 17, 2012

THE BERGEN HOME

119 Fourth Ave NW

 In 1891 Henry B. Bergen, a farmer, bought the lot and built the house which is now the DeWayne Knoshaug home. Apparently the Bergens lived in the house for a very short time for Mr. Bergen died in Chicago in 1900. The widow, Elizabeth A. Bergen, sold the property to R. J. Soults who owned a farm in Lake Township which is now the Clarion Municipal Airport. He also owned the land directly across the road. Mrs. T. T. Roosevelt of Clarion is the daughter of R. J. Soults and lived in the house at that time. She associates the house with the dramatic news of President McKinley's assasination in 1901. EE L The Soults moved to Kansas in 1903 and sold to W. E. Henely, another Wright County farmer. He and his wife, Mary, and family resided there until November of 1919 when they sold it to James Buchan. The Buchans had farmed north of Clarion. Mr. Buchan died in 1932 and his widow, Fannie, lived in the home until 1938 when she sold it to Charles and Stanley Shupe. The upstairs was made into an apartment for Charles Shupe, the father, and his wife Julia. The downstairs became the home of Electa and Stanley Shupe who lived there for 28 years. A new kitchen and back stairway was added to the back of the house by the Shupes and they, also, removed a large front porch. Charles Shupe started his business career selling lightning rods at Lacona, lowa and then owned a hardware store there. In 1913 he came to Clarion and established a hardware business and was joined, as a partner, by his son Stanley after World War I. Eldred C. Shupe of Clarion is a son and LeRoy Shupe a third son is no longer living. The business is still in existence today and owned by Arlan Urness of Clarion. The property was sold in 1967 to the present owner, DeWayne Knoshaug, and his wife, Mary who have four children. The house has been changed to fit their family needs. It has five bedrooms and two baths, a family room and a living room, dining room and kitchen. From the original house built by Henry Bergen there remains the open stairway in the front hall of beautiful oak; the solid oak woodwork throughout the house; the leaded and stained glass windows in the front hall and living room. Also, the diagonally placed fireplace with its original tile in the living room, typical of the fireplaces of the period. The post for tying horses stands in the front of the house as a reminder of the past. Dows Addition, Block 6, Lots 5 & 6.

 B. P. BIRDSALL, Sr. HOME

203 Second Ave. N.E.

The stately house on the corner one block north of the court-house square was the home of Mrs. Benjamin Birdsall, Sr., mother of Judge B. P. Birdsall. 

In a spacious yard with maple and spruce trees the house faces south. It is of Victorian architecture with some hand turned trim on the porches and windows but is more restrained than many houses of the 1896 era. It sets upon a hand hewn limestone foundation with a full basement of six rooms, all of the same limestone.

The front hall has ornamental leaded glass windows and a lovely open stairway with a bookcase window seat on the landing. Upstairs there are four bedrooms and a bath. A full attic is finished and floored.  Downstairs the living room and dining room, with a large bay, are on the west side of the house. The dining room has a fireplace which has been converted to a gas log heater. A remodeled kitchen, bedroom and half bath make up the rest of the downstairs.

The house was sold to Lyman and Louesa Spencer in 1926 when they retired from their Grant Township farm. They owned the house for over thirty years. Mr. Spencer died in 1953 while Mrs. Spencer lived to be over 100 years old and died in 1968. Their daughter, Mrs. Carroll Voohrees, and her husband, lived with Mrs. Spencer for a number of years. It was during that time that the house was remodeled inside.

The B. P. Birdsalls, Sr. lived in Wall Lake Township on a farm bought in 1871. Their son, Judge B. P. Birdsall, went to school in Alden and, later, to the University of lowa at lowa City. He read law with C. M. Nagle, a prominent attorney of Alden, and was admitted to the bar in 1878. After practicing law in Alden he moved to Clarion in 1884 and established a law firm which is still in existence and now known as Archerd & Johnson. He was elevated to district judge and served in that capacity until 1900. In 1902 he was elected to Congress to serve the district and served two terms.

Judge Birdsall's first wife was Bertha Shultz who died in 1886. There were two children from this marriage, Maurice Fred, who was in partnership with his father in their law firm, and, Lotta, Mrs. L. M. Hartsock, who lives in Clarion.  In 1888 he married Belle Johnson of Clarion and their children were June, Charles J., Esther and Agnes. The family lived across the street in, what is now, the Dale Hardy home. Later they lived in the Benjamin Birdsall, Sr. home.  In 1971 the house was sold to Donald and Alice Rector who have four children. 
 

 

A.D BOX HOME

221 Central Ave East

 

When the original town of Clarion was platted (July of 1869) Block 15, Lots 9 and 10 were the property of Wright County. Ninety-nine years later Russell and Roberta Melhus bought Lot 9 and we know it as 221 Central Avenue East-the house with the turret shaped cupola. The present house was built after 1901 when A. D. Box bought Lot 9 and 10 and came to Clarion from a farm near Rowan to establish a livery business here. He obtained the services of Matt Goslin to be contractor for this unique ten room house. The fancy curved front porch had laminated boards from the front door, extending to the dining room door. (It was removed in 1970 because the elements had rotted many boards and it was too costly to be repaired.) The foundation was hand cut blocks of stone, a feature few houses can boast, and the basement cistern is also solid stone. The entrance hall displays handsome parquet floors and an open staircase. The entire house has oak woodwork. The parlor fireplace is covered with buff-red colored glass brick and there is a lovely mirror across the mantle. Rumor had it that the house cost "the equal of a farm" to build, for it was designed for entertaining; it could be open and spacious, or each room closed for privacy. The third floor was intended to be a ballroom but never used as such. An upright square grand piano from the home was sold to Mr. & Mrs. Jay Lewis in 1940. The unusual round cupola was the focal point of the house. Beveled glass windows were installed on each floor of the south front to fit the curve. Some of the windows have leaded glass across the top. In 1906 A. J. Lamm and wife, Nancy, bought Lots 9 and 10. They were in the hotel business and had many roomers. Lena Lamm Johnson later sold the east 30 feet of property to Dan Collins. It continued to be used as a rooming house when Florence Smith Parris bought it in 1940. Original Town, Block 15, Lot 9 

 CLARION HOUSE (HOTEL)

North of Courthouse

(no longer there)
 

Clarion House was built by Duane C. Young in 1871 as accommodations for the new settlers coming into the growing town of Clarion. Since housing was so scarce, the county supervisors offered the entire block north of the court-house square to anyone who would construct a hotel and it was Mr. Young who took up their offer.

In 1912, Mr. Moore wanted to build the present hotel and the city moved the front part of the old hotel to its location at 602 First Ave. SE and it was made into a duplex for housing.

The original Clarion House had a long two story annex to the east of the three story front, which housed the kitchen and dining room for boarders. Many early Clarion residents had housekeeping facilities there while they built homes or found places to live. It was a hotel, restaurant, apartment house and hospitality center for the new town

It has had many owners through the years. The last Clarion owner was R. B. Comstock but it now belongs to a loan company of Webster City. The original woodwork is still in the apartments with doors and transoms of the old hotel. A huge attic was once the 3rd floor of the Clarion House.  (The house has since been torn down.)


B. CLARK HOME

222 1st Ave SW


 The United States transfered the original tract of land to Wright County on September 10, 1862.

In 1867 this land was sold by the Wright County Board of Supervisors to George A. McKay, who was Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, with the intent it was to be developed and houses built on it. He paid $150 for NW of Section 6, 91-24, which is 40 acres.  The W12 of lots 13 and 14 were sold by McKay to Stephen L. Dows in 1880. The land changed hands 4 times that year with the final owner being a Railroad Line with C. J. Ives, President, and E. S. Elsworth, Secretary. Elsworth in turn purchased it in 1893 and later transfered it to the Elsworth Trust of which he was President.

The W12 of 15 was owned by the Railroad in 1880 and from then until 1887 it changed hands 10 times at which time Jesse Hill, who was single, purchased it. Finally in 1900, Bert C. Clark bought the W12 of 15. He was able to purchase the W12 of 13 and 14 in December, 1904, from the Elsworth Trust. So it was at this time in 1905 that Bert Clark built the home that presently stands on the site of the W12 of lots 13, 14, 15 of Block 2, Railroad Addition in Clarion.  At the time it was built it was "known as one of the houses in Clarion".

The three story brick structure stands today in much the original state. Several leaded glass windows were included along with three bay windows, one on the first floor and two on the second floor. Three wooden dormers are used on the third floor. There are two stairways in the home, both going up to the third floor. Beautiful hardwood floors are used throughout. There is a full basement under the home. The first floor consists of living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, central hallway and alcove between the kitchen and dining room. There are four bedrooms and a bath on the second floor and three bedrooms on the third floor. A curved driveway approached the delivery door from 2nd St. Large cement urns graced the front and many beautiful trees and shrubs were planted by the Clarks. In recent years much of this growth has been cleared away. The stucco sun porches on the south side of the home plus the stucco carriage house used later as a garage were built later. There have been no major improvements made in the home in the past 30 years.

Bert Clark was a traveling shoe salesman in the Midwestern states of lowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota and Illinois. He traveled by train with large trunks of his wares, "similar to the scenes in Music Man". Mr. Clark's first wife was a Callendar. Her father ran the Rock Island Depot and built the house at 117 2nd St. SW, were Marvin R. McAllister, teacher in the Clarion School System, now resides. Mrs. Clark died and Bert Clark later married Mildred Humphrey. In later years Mr. Clark traveled by car with his second wife driving, as his eye sight was failing.  The Clark's had two children, a son, Gerald, and a daughter, Esther. Gerald graduated from Clarion High School. Mr. F. L. Porter, who was a fellow classmate of his said, "Gerald was an instigator of projects and ideas." After school a group of high school boys would meet in the basement of their home and have "Sir Arthur of the Round Table" meetings. It was one of the few homes of that time that had a recreation room! Gerald later served in World War I. Their daughter, Esther, married Charles Birdsall, who was a banker in Clarion. Bert Clark also built the house at 403 2nd Ave. NE. The stone wall beside it is a result of rocks picked up on his travels as a shoe salesman. Each rock had a special story. Later he moved across the street to 408 2nd Ave. NE, which he remodeled extensively before retiring in California.

On February 28, 1921, the Clarks sold their large brick home to E. A. Morling, who was a widower, for $5000. On November 9, 1921, some 8 months later Mr. Morling sold the house to J. L. Sinclair and his wife, Mable. Mr. Sinclair moved to Clarion from Rowan. He ran a grocery store at the site which is now Karen's Style Shop. In later years he sold real estate and insurance. The Sinclairs had one son, Russell, who resided in Olwein, and was employed by the Great-Western Railroad. Russell was married to the Former Mammie Knutson. On December 19, 1937, John L. Sinclair passed away at the age of 70. On November 27, 1943, Mabel Sinclair sold the home to William A. Gray and his wife, Catherine A. Mr. and Mrs. Gray farmed the second place north of Florence from 1922 till 1944, when they retired in Clarion. They came to Wright Co. from Hancock Co. where they had farmed northwest of Kanawha. The Grays had twelve children, ten of whom are still living: George, of Corwith; Verle Darrah, Kanawha; Florence Lynch, Waterloo; Lila Spangler, Corwith; Elwood L., Eagle Grove; Elery J., Grand Rapids, Michigan; Ruth Tveit, Eagle Grove; Harold C., Mason City; Richard B., Thor; and Mildred Armatis, Rockwell. Edward was killed by a bull in 1918, and Eugene died of pneumonia at 9 months in 1921. Mr. and Mrs. Gray were married in 1899, and enjoyed 61 years of wedded bliss.

The house was fondly termed, "Grandma Gray's". Mrs. Gray is remembered as enjoying having good time but raising her large family with firm discipline. For approximately 15 years she ran a ooming house, even renting out the third floor a couple of times. But this was not so successful because people did not like climbing so many stairs.  In later years all the daughters and daughters-in- aw would come home for two or three days and clean the entire house. This was always a favorite time for Mrs. Gray.  Mr. Gray passed away on March 18, 1960, and Mrs. Gray and her son, Richard, continued to live in the house until she died, October 23, 1970. At the time of her death the property was valued at $12,000. In 1971, the home was sold to Donald R. Martin and his wife, Marlene M. They looked forward to using it as a home to raise their five children. Mr. Martin runs the Gulf Station. Railroad Addition, Block 2, West 2 of lots 13, 14 & 15.

THE THOMAS H. CROWE HOME

120 Fourth Avenue, NW

              

The Thomas H. Crowe residence was constructed back in 1883. As such, this early date places this beautiful work of art as one of the first homes of the Victorian genre to ornament the streets of Clarion. Thomas, an orphan who was raised in Davenport, Iowa, settled in Clarion and purchased the parcel of land which lies on the southeast corner of what is now Main Street and Central Avenue. Originally the parcel was used as an implement business only to eventually be converted into a men's clothing store, that of which was called Crowe & Son. For those of us who remember, it was his son, C.H. Crowe, that would so fondly greet youngsters with candy whenever they visited his store to purchase Cub Scout gear. The Thomas H. Crowe house is an immaculately preserved example of Victorian architecture, with its customary steeply-pitched roofs and ornamental trim. The gazebo found in the front of the residence compliments the home's Gothic silhouette, taking us back to an idyllic time when worries were few and far between. Unfortunately, the house sat in disarray for many years, having had experienced many owners.  However, the Richard Stockwell family purchased the property in the 1970's and spent considerable time reviving the structure. Since then, David and Colette Johnson have taken on the responsibility of maintaining the home's Victorian integrity; in turn preserving one of Clarion's proud treasures. 

Thomas H. Crowe was an orphan and as a child lived in the Annie Whittenmeyer Home in Davenport. When he reached the age of twenty-one the family, with whom he was living at the time, gave him a team of horses which he sold to buy a railroad ticket and try his fortune other places. He finally ended in Clarion and had used the money well for he was able to establish an implement business and in 1882 bought the property where the Crowe Building stands today. The next year he built a large Victorian home on the corner of Second Strmckeet and 4th Ave. NW. He had married Mary Speight of West Branch, lowa, who was a schoolmate of Herbert Hoover there. Her brother, Charley Speight, sold part of his land for the site of the Herbert Hoover Memorial Library. It was in 1911 that Thomas Crowe started the present men's clothing business that is known as Crowe & Son and is in the building which he constructed on the corner where his implement store was located. His son, C. H. Crowe, owns the business today. There was a younger son, Arthur, who lived in California until his death. Thomas Crowe died in 1940 and his widow died in 1951. Both were eighty-four when they died. accross from Ludt Cheendly The home is undoubtedly the best preserved Victorian exterior of any of those early edifices. Though it is elaborate, it is compact enough to be dignified. With steep pitched roofs, it combines the Gothic style of the period with gingerbread trim, and classic columns on spacious porches. A gazebo incorporated into the front porch speaks of the leisure of yesteryear. Inside, the house has been remodeled by each of its three owners since the estate was sold in 1951. The first owner was Wesley J. Phillips, who had bought Starks Style Shop, now Karens, which is a women's wear store. He had the store several years but died in 1965. Doris Phillips, his wife, was a musician and played the organ in the Congregational United Church of Christ for over twenty years. She also taught music in the Dow's schools. They had twochildren John and Bonnie. The property was sold to Dick and Harriet Robson of Clarion. Dick Robson has a Clarion insurance agency but lives in their lake home at Clear Lake. They sold it to John Wassner who in turn sold it to Marlin Chaplin who is with the Hormel Company. He and his wife, Marilyn, have four children. None of the original interior features are recognizable today. It is a roomy, comfortable family home that is completely modern.

Wright County Monitor, Clarion, Iowa  ----  June 7, 2012
 

THE JEREMIAH FAIRBANKS HOME

120 First Avenue, S.E.

 


The elegant home of the first lumber yard owner in Clarion is located at 120 1st Ave. S.E., and at present is owned by James Jerde and rented as apartments. (1975).  The land was originally owned by Helen and George A. McKay. In October 1890 Helen McKay sold Block 4 to J. Fairbanks who built the home.  
 

After his death the property went to Esther Yearous Walster, administrator, and then was sold to Jacqueline M. Brown. George B. Sheffield and later his widow were the next owners and the land and house was sold to James Jerde, owner and manager of the New Home Cafe in Clarion. Although the verandas and porches, all in the Queen Anne style with many vergeboards and lacy woodwork, have been removed, this house retains its elegant air, for the northeast corner has a three story tower which is accessible from all three floors. Inside there is a distinct air of grandeur and splendor in its large rooms, high ceilings and fancy portieres, wooden grill work arched over the two living rooms and dining room. The front entrance hall opened into the living room, the dining room and kitchen. Along the west wall of the long entrance hall an open stairway traveled up to end in a spacious upstairs hallway leading to bedrooms and bath. Every room was finished in a different wood; oak, walnut, mahogany and cherry. All the floors were parquetry flooring. The second living room featured a corner fireplace and a key hold leaded stained glass window. The dining room had cherry wainscoting and a built-in china closet. There were three sets of sliding doors. The spacious kitchen had cupboards to the ceiling. The lovely leaded glass windows in the front removed. of the house, upstairs and downstairs, have been The original outside of the house had the following features, a small second story balcony on the southeast corner which opened into a bedroom. A long veranda wound around the east and north sides of the house offering freshening breezes in the summer and shelter from the blowing snows in winter. There were small porches on the east side sheltering the back door and another on the west side protecting the entry door there. Lattice work, vergeboards and railings decorated the porches and veranda. All of the bedrooms had closets, high ceilings and large windows. The bathroom was at the end of the long upstairs hallway. The original stained and leaded glass window lighting the first landing on the stairway still exists. At present there are three apartments in the house. The downstairs is one large apartment and two apartments are upstairs. Jim Jerde, the present owner, said that in the future the downstairs will be made into two apartments.

Jeremiah Fairbanks was the son of William and Rachel (McCay) Fairbanks. He was born in New York, September 17, 1848. His education was limited and he farmed with his father and continued as a farm laborer after he reached the age of twenty-one. After three years as a farm laborer, he handled freight on the Hudson river until 1873, then he headed west and located on a farm near Fond due Lac, Wisconsin. In the spring of 1878, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres near Emmetsburg, lowa, where he farmed for three seasons. Then he discovered the lumber business and established the first lumber yard in Clarion, which at that time had less than one hundred people in its population. He retired from active work in 1909. Besides owning this lumber yard for twenty-nine years, he bought and sold land. He built and owned the Fairbanks apartments which are still standing on the west end of Block 4, McKay's Addition. He married Minnie Weber, daughter of Mrs. Sophia Weber, in 1882. The children were: Maude, (Mrs. Charles A. Neubecker), Ethel, Lela, (Mrs. Joseph Anderson), Grace (Mrs. Harry McMurry) and Mack. Fairbanks was a member of the city council for seven years and also served on the school board. He was a Mason and a Republican. Mr. & Mrs. Fairbanks were active members of the Congregational church. Both contributed to the social and religious life of Clarion. · Mr. Fairbanks was said to be "a man of kindly disposition, charitable impulses, strict integrity and public spirited to a marked degree." McKay Addition, Block 4, Part of lot 7 & all of lots 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  

 

THE A.S. FOX HOME

221 First Ave SE

 

The first record in the Court-house ledger of the property on which Austin S. Fox built was in 1880 when that part of the McKay addition was made into lots.

Austin S. Fox was wounded while serving in the Civil War, losing a leg and having a bullet wound in one hand. When he came to Clarion, he had married the widow of his friend, Lewis G. Kinson, of Springfield, Illinois, who was killed in 1862 in the same war. It seems that Mr. Fox had money for he had no occupation in the years he lived in Clarion and where he lived until he died in 1926. 

Julia Kinson Fox was the mother of George T. Kinson who married Lorinda Mabbott of Webster City. They made their home with the Fox family as the couple became elderly, and eventually, the home went to George Kinson who was the grandfather of Fern Perry of Clarion. She inherited the property in 1944 from her mother, Alice Kinson Barker Banks. Fern Perry recalls spending much time in the house when she was small for she was a frail childand her grandmother was wise in the ways of health care so she feels she owes her life to that care.

She also recalls the house with its original ornate exterior which has been changed so that today its appearance is quite contemporary. The yard had a pump which furnished "the best drinking water in town" and a barn and coal shed were also in the yard.

Inside, the house was large with eight rooms and a buttery with a sunken cooler for food storage. Upstairs there were four bedrooms.
Fern Barker married Shirley Perry in 1920 and they lived for thirty-five years one block south of the grandparental home and where Mrs. Perry lives to this day. Her husband was with the Chicago and Great Western Railroad and also did some farming. There are two sons, Robert Perry of Clarion, and Jack Perry of Massachussets.

Fern Perry sold the Fox home to Luther A. Yarger and Bert and Alice McMorris bought it from them in 1958. The McMorrises have a beauty shop in the house and they both work there as well as making it their home. They have two married children, Scott and Lana.

W. J. FRENCH HOME

504 6th Ave NE

This large Victorian home has seen many prominent families move in and out of its walls and has endured a move itself. The house was originally located on Central Avenue on two lots in the 700 block where the Pro Gas Station and the Laundromat now do business. At this site it was a town landmark set off with two large butternut and a number of walnut trees. The house was built in 1901 by W. J. French, who was a banker. It consisted of 4 rooms downstairs and 4 bedrooms and a bath upstairs. Oak woodwork was used throughout with many detailed carvings. Between the doorways oak work hung down in a beading effect which was a part of the Gingerbread era. A large open stairway graced the side of the living room as well as a fireplace with a mirrored mantel and a hearth that could even be used for cooking. There was also a back stairway from the maid's room to the kitchen. Three stained glass windows were used, one at the entrance way, one at the bottom of the stairway, and one in the dining room. In addition there were a number of leaded glass windows. All windows were made of plate glass. The door knobs were made of brass. An open gazebo on the corner. The house was built on a porch extended around two sides of the house with a limestone foundation. In 1904, the house was sold to L. D. Knight and ten months later in 1905, the Thomas Sturgeon family moved in. They had 12 children. The attic served as a dormitory for the boys in the family. Imagine the cold winter mornings, since it was not heated! In 1909, the house was sold to the James B. Jackson's. Mr. Jackson was a traveling salesman. They are remembered for always having lots of people coming and going, lots of parties and lots of children. It is believed that while they lived in the house, the Clarion High School Junior and Senior Proms were held there. Henry and Marie Miller purchased the house in 1916. Mr. Miller was an engineer with the Northwestern Railroad. His wife, Marie, is 90 years old and still lives in Clarion. In 1920, the Jacob Thuls moved into the house upon retirement from their farm north of Clarion on County K. The Thul's were the parents of 13 children: John, Anna, Edward, Peter, Kate, Elizabeth, Mike, Casper, Margaret, Rose, Mary, Lillian and Agnes, with Lillian (Mrs. Shirley Parks) the only surviving child. At the time they moved there, there were only two children still living at home. The Thul's enjoyed a large garden and caring for their chickens in the coop where the Laundromat now sets. In 1934, Jacob and Angeline Mersch Thul celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary with an Open House at their home. Mrs. Thul passed away December 22, 1938, and her husband continued to live in the house with his children until his death, September 17, 1942.

 It was now World War II. Housing was in short supply. Edith Whitman Severson bought the house and her parents lived with her and her family. In addition, her brother Howard and his wife Birgil, and their family lived with her upon returning from the service until housing became available. Dr. George Daniels and his wife, Florence, purchased the home in 1949, upon the birth of their third child, Dennis. Along with their children, John and Karen, a larger home was necessitated. The house was extensively remodeled while the Daniels lived there. The large porches and gazebo were removed due to their poor condition. The carbon lights that were originally put in but had previously been wired for electricity were removed at this time along with the chandelier from the living room. The kitchen was modernized with the addition of built-in cupboards and the porch area was enclosed for a dining area in the kitchen. A half bath and laundry room were built in one corner of the original kitchen and pantry. An archway was opened between the kitchen and former front parlor, now dining room. A brick addition was attached to serve as a garage and office for Dr. Daniel's veterinarian practice. This is the present laundromat. A lighted basketball court in the back yard was a favorite gathering spot for teenagers during the time Clarion's basketball team went to the state tournament. In 1959, Daniel's sold the house to Roy and Jean Menke. Mr. Menke is a life insurance underwriter and his wife works for Austin Abstract Co. They have 2 children, Marilyn and Mark. It was at this time that the house was moved to its present location at 504 6th Ave. NE. The mover estimated the house weighed 125 tons. Since the house was back plastered with horse hair plaster there wasn't even a single crack in the plaster from the move. The stability of the house is illustrated by the fact that a shot gun shell left on the ledge of one of the doorways remained there throughout the move. This house has always been known for being one of the coolest in the summer and one of the warmest in the winter. The original boiler and heating system is still in use. While the Menkes lived there they added a breezeway and garage as well as redecorating. In 1975, with the Menke's children pursuing their own careers, the house was again put up for sale and was purchased by Mrs. Dorothy Collins, as a future home to retire. It is presently rented to Dr. & Mrs. Daniels, who are enjoying reliving many of the memories of earlier years when they were raising their family there. 

  HAMILTON HOME 

127 Fourth Ave NE

The two story white house with black shutters and red door at 127 4th Ave. N.E. has an inviting appearance since Loren and Pat Lickei moved here in 1973. Lickeis own and operate Loren's Jewelry store in Clarion. They occupy this spacious family home with their children Elizabeth 11, Tricia 9, Phillip 72, English bulldog Sir Reginald Winston 11⁄2 years, French poodle Jacque 7 years, and three gerbils. The original entry for the lot on which this home rests was issued from the United States to George A. McKay, Clerk of the Board of Supervisors for the benefit of the county in 1863. The land has then transferred ownership as follows: S. D. Pierce Chairman of Board of Supervisors to D. C. Young in 1871 D. C. Young and wife to Charles C. Charnock in 1871 Charles C. Charnock to John J. Charnock in 1878 John J. Charnock to Stephen L. Dows and wife in 1880 Dows and wife to Cedar Rapids, Iowa Falls and Northwestern Land and Town Lot Co. in 1886 I. F. Woodman to L. C. Woodman in 1886 Between 1871 - 1886 a one story home was erected on this lot. It consisted of two bedrooms, a living room, and kitchen. (This represents the downstairs of the existing two story dwelling.) On December 7, 1889 this one story house was sold by the sheriff at public auction for $356.39 and the deed was transferred to the Loughlin Brothers on August 15, 1891. In 1892 James H. Loughlin and his wife Kate sold the home to George W. Mason and his wife Abbie. In 1892 the home was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Lester C. Hamilton, a local druggist and his wife. According to a conversation with Mrs. L. M. Hartsock (a longtime resident of Clarion) the Hamiltons added the second story to the one story home. Mrs. Hartsock believes this was done around 1900. In 1941 Mr. and Mrs. Ward B. Hamilton took possession of the house. Mr. Hamilton worked for lowa Public Service here in Clarion. In 1944 the home was sold to Corydon J. and Sarah Nagle. Mr. Nagle was in partnership with the Birdsall, Archerd, and Nagle law firm. In 1970 the ownership was transferred from Nagles to Arnold and Rosmarie Wilson who moved to town from the country. They occupied the home for a short time until it was sold to Kenneth and Hazel Lester of Clarion. Lickeis have then occupied the home since they moved from Lincoln, Nebraska in 1973. As one enters the cheerful red door of the Lickei home, you walk through a colorful wallpapered vestibule. To the right of this entry is a large living room which was originally two bedrooms of the one story home. There is a small half bath off the living room, which was originally a closet. To the left of the vestibule is the family room. North of the family room is the dining room, which was probably the kitchen of the original home. Off the dining room is a lovely newly remodelled kitchen. This kitchen was most likely added while the Hamiltons or Nagles resided here. A laundry room is conveniently located off the kitchen. On the west side of the family room is an open stairway which takes one to the second story. The upstairs has four bedrooms, a bath, and cheerful solarium, which Mrs. Lickei uses as a sewing and ironing room. There is a back stairway from the laundry room to the sunroom. The home also has a full attic which has several stained glass windows! It is difficult to determine exactly when the first story of this home was built, but it certainly was constructed between 1871 - 1886. The first story represents one of Clarion's older homes. Many changes and additions have altered the original dwelling, but Lickeis have found it a well constructed house, well worth restoring and making into a very liveable and tastefully decorated family home. Section 31, Outlot South 1501⁄2 of outlot 12, Township 92-Range 24


HARWOOD HOME

502 First St. N.W

 

B. HARWOOD HOUSE, the Methodist Parsonage was built by the Burt Harwood Family in 1908.

The home was located in the original town of Clarion and the architect was J. H. Albright of Fort Dodge, lowa. Structurally there have been no changes in the house.

In 1942, the original Methodist parsonage was severely burned. The Hardwood home was purchased by the Methodists in 1943 for $5,000. Mr. the north of the current Methodist parsonage, and Harwood had previously built the house directly to returned to it upon selling his home to the Methodists.

The contract between Mr. Harwood and architect Albright was extremely exact on specifications for the two-story frame house, and upon the personnel who would do the work. The following are quotes taken from the contract; "The contractor will be required to keep a competent foreman on the work at all times during working hours. He shall keep the premises cleaned up from rubbish from time to time as the case may demand. The work to be commenced upon awarding of the contract and rushed to completion with as large a force of men as can be employed." When referring to the foundation plans, and many other parts of the house, this statement was frequently used, "This all must be done in a careful manner.

Upon entering the home today one is impressed by the beautiful woodwork. According to the contract, floors and trim of the vestibule, reception hall, living and dining rooms were to be "13/16 x 14 inch thoroughly kiln dried quartered sawed red oak. It shall be put down in the very best manner, all end joints must be solid. The same shall be nailed with eight penny nails and the flooring must be laid close to the plastering.

In the reception hall, which today is a music area for Mrs. Brockmeyer, there are colonnades on either side of an area that must have been used for Mr. Harwood's newspaper work. This area has built-in wooden benches.  Perhaps tables were put between these benches so that the newspaper work could be  completed at home.

Leading off the hall area is the oak stairway with a stained glass window facing north on the landing. Besides a porch, vestibule and reception hall, the downstairs also has a large living room, dining room and kitchen. In the living room is a large Franklin fireplace decorated with wooden colonnades on either side and a black iron door for the wood. In this downstairs area is wood ceiling trim and high wooden baseboards. In the dining room there is a built-in china cupboard with big brass hinges and leaded glass doors. Below this there is more built-in storage. The kitchen area was remodeled upon purchase by the Methodists. A pantry and porch area were removed to enlarge the eating area. Outside a concrete patio was added.

Upstairs there are three bedrooms with large walk-in closets. Adjoining fourth room, used as a sitting room, is a balcony with a railing around it. Also upstairs is the bathroom with a large walk-in linen closet with drawers and shelves. The third floor open attic is complete with large windows on all four sides. It is over the entire house. The basement area is under the entire house and today is divided into eight rooms. On the outside the home appears stately-with distinctive windows and hipped-roof overhangs. Perhaps this was one reason many years ago young ladies used to get all dressed up after church on Sundays and go and watch new homes being built or tour new ones.

Ministers making the parsonage their home have taken very good care of this well-planned home. Those ministers have been: Rev. Preul, Rev. Schuldt, Rev. Travis, Rev. Barron, Rev. Allen, Rev. Haigh, and Rev. Carl O. Jensen. Burt Harwoods father, J. C. Harwood, who owned the paper at Forest City purchased the Monitor in 1879. He sold his interest to his son in 1892. Burt Harwood continued as the editor until 1940 when it was sold to Jacqua Printing Co. He was married to Elenor Wells in 1902. There were two children, Helen Weber Worth, now of Forest City, and Burt Harwood Jr. who died. Helen and her first husband, Jack Weber, now dead, edited the paper for a few years and lived in the Methodist parsonage before it was sold. Dows Addition, Block 5, Lots 4 & South 3 of Lot 5

HURD HOME

520 First Ave NE 

W. C. Tyrell owned approximately twenty blocks in east Clarion and in 1884 some of those lots were sold to L. P. Davis. One lot was sold in 1891 to Melvina Hurd who had a restaurant and bakery in those early days. She built a home there and must have rented it some of the time for Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Draheim lived there in 1909. Mrs. Hurd died in 1916 and the property went to her daughter, Nettie B. Butterfield, who then sold it to Agatha Anderson for $2800 in 1924. Marinus Anderson, husband of Agatha Ander- son, had a grocery store in Clarion. The Andersons were both born in Denmark. They were avid gardners and they had their yard planned by the landscape architecture department of lowa State University which included a rock garden. They also raised canaries to sell and had them in the basement of the house or in an aviary in the yard in the summertime. The aviary is still there and has been converted into a storage building. The exterior design of the house is timeless and belongs to no period. Of frame construction, it has many gables allowing three upstairs bedrooms in what appears to be a small house. When the Andersons lived there, the interior was decorated with many things from Denmark and had a somber, old world atmosphere. It was always considered a very interesting and lovely home. Marinus Anderson is now dead but Agatha Anderson lives in a Mankato, Minnesota nursing home. The house was owned by Max Titus and Roger Oldson in 1968 and 1969 and sold in May of 1970 to Lester C. and Margaret Johnson who came to Clarion from Newton, Iowa. Lester Johnson is in the law firm of Archerd and Johnson. There are two high school age children, Leslie, a daughter, and a son, Robert. The Johnsons have added a family room to the south but have preserved the early features as much as possible and it is still an interesting and lovely home.


LADD HOME

205 Fifth Ave NW


A. R. LADD HOUSE Bernice Payne - 205 Fifth Ave. N.W. The apartment house owned by Bernice Payne at 205 5th Avenue N. W. bears but slight resemblance to the home built there by A. R. Ladd. The front apartments of the building are part of the original home. Bernice occupies the one on first floor. A. R. Ladd, who built the house in the 1880's was an attorney in the law firm of Rogers and Ladd. He was born in Wisconsin and located in Clarion in 1872. The Ladd's had four daughters; Clare, unmarried, who was not well, possibly had TB from which she died, Edna, Gladys and Bertha, who became Mrs. Tabor. The O. E. McGahey family lived in the house in the 1920's. Mr. McGahey owned a hardware store on North Main. In 1929 Roberta Castor Wilson bought the house after her husband "Lefty" went into train- ing camp with the Chicago Cubs. Roberta's mother, Mrs. Castor Matson who was employed by the Chicago Great Western, helped with the purchase and also lived in the house. She moved there from the house now owned by Charles Bunn, where she had run a hospital for Dr. Bernard. Her first husband was Rev. Castor and they had two children, Roberta and Leon. Roberta made a neighborhood grocery store from the southwest part of the house, directly north of the porch. C. H. "Noisy" Payne bought the house and store in 1942. Roberta was working in a bookstore in the Chicago Loop when she was informed that her son, Wendell, who was in the Air Force, was killed in a plane crash. Her daughter, Phyllis (Mrs. Kendall Jacobson) was with her in Chicago at the time. Noisy and Bernice Payne had the house converted to apartments and they moved into the apartment now occupied by Bill and Carolyn Trowbridge in 1943. Bernice enjoyed running the store until an auto accident took the lives of her son and daughter. Her husband had died prior to that. She then had the store section made into the apartment which she now occupies.

Lockwood Home

Central Ave  E.    

 

 They called it the "Lockwood House" and it originally stood where the B & W grocery store parking lot is today, but is now east of town on Highway #3 where the old Thorpe Hatchery is located. The land was purchased from Wright County in 1872 by Edmond Gould. J. R. Lockwood built the house about 1887. Mr. Lockwood operated Clarion's first hardware store which was where Skogmos is now. His son, Ed, was in business with him and later the store was known as Lockwood & Stewart. The house had a good view of the first court-house, a small white frame building, to the west. Cottonwood trees were planted around the square as a windbreak against the winds which swept across the bare prairie. In 1893, when the new court-house was to be built, the little frame building was moved across the street to the north of the present court-house and across the street to the west of the Lockwood place. It was made into a hotel, called Park House, and in later years, it burned down. The Lockwood's daughter Minnie who never married was known for the beautiful hemstitching that she did for the ladies of the town. In 1924 she became owner of the house. According to Wright County's historian, Mrs. Hazel Draheim, Minnie Lockwood was the inspiration for a maple lane being planted along the street. In 1934 twelve neighbors living on the street purchased twenty-four Norway maple saplings and cooperatively planted them on a spring evening, with two trees to a lot. These were: J. W. Herring, H. P. Walker, A. E. Weber, Wm. Butler, L. G. Focht, H. O. Salisbury, R. C. Fawcett, E. O. Turk, Henry Wason, Charles Claude, Ben Butterfield and G. E. Glendy. It was the hope of those who planted and cared for the trees that within a few years it would be the loveliest sight in town, especially in the fall when the trees turned to gold. B. A. Samson bought the home from Miss Lockwood in 1942 and the Samson family lived there until 1947 when they moved to another residence and made the house into two apartments. Mr. Samson was Clarion's Ford dealer for many years and his business was in the building now used for the B & W grocery store. In 1960 Ray Thorpe bought the house and moved it onto the property of their hatchery. The Thorpe's daughter, Ruth Williamson lived there several years. It now belongs to James Erickson. The various owners have made many changes in the place but the original Lockwood house had high ceilings, ornate oak woodwork, parquetry floors downstairs and it was heated by steam heat.

 MARIETTA HOME

404 North Main Street

Dr. G. A. Marrietta, the original owner of the home that now houses the Mueller Studio at 404 N. Main, would probably not recognize the home he built in the 1880's. With its large open porch on the south and east, dormer windows on the second floor, mansard roof, and distinctive Victorian cupola. Now, with the old porch gone and replaced on the east by a modern porch with grillwork, the place has a formal look, perhaps like a small slice of a French chateau. As you approach the house, you will notice especially the dormer windows on the second story, and you will see how the cupola on the southeast corner is balanced by the high-peaked double dormer on the northeast. You will see two entrances and between them, two windows, one of glass blocks and the other an old fashioned round one like a porthole. Another larger window is corniced, as are the others on the ground floor of the house. The entrance at the left is the original one; the other was added later for convenience. Dr. Marrietta would find even more changes within. The original house had a parlor or living room, dining room, a kitchen and a small bedroom on the ground floor. There were four bedrooms and a bathroom on the second floor. You will find that these rooms have been changed into a labyrinth of rooms to fit the special needs of a photography studio. The new entrance at the right will lead you into a small carpeted reception room and order room. Beyond these the original kitchen is now a waiting room and dressing room with a half bath. The other rooms have become storage rooms, frame rooms, another bathroom, a dark room, and a small coffee room. At one point, you will notice a bit of the original oak flooring.

You will see two additions at the back. The Muellers built one on the northwest for a family room with a corner fireplace. It is now used as a camera room. The other is a large, pleasant workroom on the southwest. The approach to the original stairway was from the old entrance at the left. But you will go upstairs from the reception room and find that the bedrooms, which were made into an apartment at one point in the history of the house, are now storerooms.  In the cool of the basement you will find two more dark rooms and a spraying room. 

It will be exactly one hundred years next April since the property, which now comprises lot 7 and part of lot 8 of block 3 of the original town, was acquired by George McKay from James H. Stevenson. In December of 1876 he sold it to Mark Harvey, who sold it to the builder of the house, Dr. Marrietta, in September, 1882. Other owners in the late 1890's and early 1900's were M. R. Sturgeon, Annie Bennett, and John W. Ulrich, who acquired it in June of 1910 and kept it until March of 1936. About a year later his wife Mary sold it to Jesse Granville Smith. After it was sold to C. M. Frizell in 1953 Richard and Jean Mueller purchased it in July, 1954. Dr. G. A. Marrietta came to Clarion in 1881. He was born in Ohio and was a graduate of the University of Michigan. Mrs. T. T. Roosevelt, who first came to Clarion in the late 1890's, remembers that when the Sturgeons lived in the house with their twelve children there was a large barn and corral at the back of the property. She sometimes stayed overnight with her friend Nina Sturgeon and often rode in one of the pony carts. One of the Sturgeon boys, John, was the star of the Clarion football team. Mrs. Roosevelt also remembers that Earl Sturgeon had to have a leg amputated after he was injured while trying to catch a ride on a meat truck. There was tragedy, too, for Clarion and for Annie Bennett, the young wife of C. S. Bennett, for she was drowned at Elm Lake along with two friends when the wash of a motor boat capsized the rowboat in which she was being towed with several young people. John Ulrich was born in Clayton County, lowa, in 1859. After farming successfully in Wright County he moved to Clarion in 1911. Jesse Granville Smith is the grandson of Jesse Smith, a pioneer furniture dealer and undertaker who came to Clarion in 1883. When he lived in Clarion he carried on his grandfather's and father's business and in 1960 sold it to Jack Eyler. He now lives in Marion, lowa, and is with Collins Radio Co. in Cedar Rapids. The Muellers made their home in the studio until 1968. In 1969 they moved to Lake Cornelia.

 MCKAY HOME

315 Central Ave East

(first house and second, no longer there)

The name of George A. McKay appears on many of Clarion's abstracts for he was its first resident and also owned a realty, loan and banking business in the town.

In 1857 he came to Belmond from the state of New York as a surveyor and was made Wright County Surveyor the following year. By the time that Clarion (or Grant) was chosen the county seat, he had been made County Clerk and had also married Helen Eastman, daughter of R. K. Eastman, an early settler and County Treasurer. The two families lived in the new court-house that first winter of 1866. In the spring the McKays built a home on the land east of the court-house square which was Clarion's first house.

 Some twenty-five years later that house was moved to East Central Ave. and 2nd St. SE where it is today and the McKays built a fine new home on the property. Mr. McKay died during the construction of the house and his widow later sold it to Fred Hartshorn.  George A. McKay, according to Judge B. P. Birdsall's History of Wright County, was considered a very wealthy man. He also was known for the fine horses he bred.

 There was one daughter, Jessie Horn who was born in 1872. A young son died in 1870 of diptheria and it was the first recorded death in the town. There was no cemetery so the child was buried in the yard of the home.


MRS. MCKAY HOME

403 First Ave N.E.

Dr. Hawkin's home, although not the oldest, is one of the largest in town. It was originally built east of the court-house square where the Post Office is today. There was a large yard which was enclosed by an iron fence. Hitching posts were on the west side for public use when people drove horses and buggies. The house had one of the first telephones in Clarion since Mr. Hartshorn, one of the owners, was the president of the first telephone company. There were only 36 telephones available to the community. George McKay, builder of the house, died during the time it was being built but his widow lived there for a while. She sold it to Fred Hartshorn and he and his family resided in the house until the death of both Mr. and Mrs. Hartshorn in 1938.

Fred Hartshorn was born in Ohio. He graduated from the law school of, what was then, lowa State University in 1879. He practiced law in Clarion for two years and then bought 750 acres of land near Belmond. He farmed the land until 1892 when he was elected County Treasurer. In order to devote more time to his duties as treasurer he moved back to Clarion and it was at this time he purchased the McKay home.

He was married to Clara Hills in 1877. There were six children, Mae, June, Lila, Grace, Hugh and Carl. Mrs. Eugene (Wilma), Allen's mother, was Lila Hartshorn Wakefield and both mother and daughter were married in the big Hartshorn home. After the death of Mrs. Wakefield's husband, the second floor of the house was converted into an apartment where Wilma and her mother lived while Wilma taught in the rural schools. Later, after Wilma married Eugene Allen they lived in that apartment and Mrs. Wakefield devoted her time to caring for the elderly parents who both died the following year.

The Hartshorn estate sold the property to the federal government as a site for the new post office. The house was bought by the Wallace brothers from south of town who moved it with horses to its present location. It was then sold to Alfred Andersonwho converted it into a funeral home.  In 1948, Cliff Evans bought the house for rental purposes, but in 1951 he decided to put it up for sale. Dr. and Mrs. Hawkins bought the house in 1952 and have raised seven of their nine children there.

The original house had a large porch which was cut down and enclosed when the house was moved, and the balcony above it removed. The front entrance was moved to the south side of the porch, and double doors were installed. The large entrance hall and open stairway now extend off the L shaped living room. The living room was originally two rooms, with a fireplace on the east side, which still is in working condition, and the large bay window area on the south east corner. Just off the hall area is a room that was a library but is now an office. The original dining room is now a kitchen-dining room, and the original kitchen is now a utility room. There was a "dumb-waiter" in the kitchen which decended to the cellar, and was the main food-storage- preservation area used before the popular use of iceboxes, and later, refrigerators.

The house has four upstairs bedrooms, a large basement bedroom, and two and one-half baths. It is furnished in such a way that twenty people could sleep in the house comfortably if the need arises. When Dr. Hawkins was working with the many storm windows for the first time, he put 27 storm windows on the 26 windows. Upon investigating, it was discovered that part of the large bathroom had been closed off completely when it was remodeled. This area is now a large storage closet just off one of the bedrooms. Another bedroom still has the kitchen cabinets and sink present, which were installed when the original dressing room was converted to a kitchenette. The Hawkins children look forward to moving into the single bedroom at the head of the stairs, with the children's phone present, which is reserved for the oldest child living at home. The fourth bedroom is the master bedroom with the beautiful bay-window area directly above that of the living room.


There are three layers of oak floor on the main floor. The first floor was damaged by vandalism during the construction period, so a second floor was laid. It was plain and not liked, so a third floor with parquetry border was added. This third floor gave much character and charm to the home along with the sculptered wood ceiling borders. The triple floor created a somewhat "haunting" effect, making its own peculiar noise when all else is quiet. Because of the work involved with its upkeep, it is now carpeted.

Dr. Hawkins believes the present site of his home could have been the original site for early medicine-shows and carnivals because of the interesting bottles and such that he digs up when he does his gardening.


MORTON HOME

506 Central Ave E.

In 1891 the property at 506 Central Ave. E. was transfered from George McKay, one of the original settlers of Clarion, to Isaac H. and Mary King. P. S. Morton purchased the property on September 5, 1894. In 1896, he built the large three story wooden frame house. Included was oak woodwork, hard- wood narrow flooring, an open stairway, a stained glass window at the bottom of the stairs, and leaded glass windows throughout. There were swinging doors between the kitchen and dining room and French doors between the dining room and living room. Large round pillars and dividers separated the two parlors. A fire place with mirrors and shelves making up the mantle graced the rear parlor. A trap door was included in the hearth for the removal of ashes. A leaded glass china closet was built into the dining room with a mirrored alcove and drawers below, one lined with tarnish resistant fabric for silver storage. A plate rail went around the dining room walls, in the basement was a trap door that opened to a hole for keeping foods cold. Philo Sample Morton's obituary read that he was "engaged in the hardware and coal business, owned several farms and amassed a large fortune." He died October 31, 1900, at the home of one of his daughters whom he was visiting in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Prior to coming to Clarion, Mr. Morton had served as Superintendent of Schools in Scott County. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Morton, along with his four daughters, moved to a farm 5 miles from Clarion. In 1886 he married Miss Salina B. Blackburn, Superintendent of Schools in Benton County. Mrs. Salina Morton was a member of the Charitauqua Club, the Laniers, in Clarion. Quoting the newspaper at that time, it was "an organization from 1894-1898 of outstanding and prominent women of Clarion." P. S. Morton joined the Odd Fellows of Clarion in 1897. In 1895 the C.H.S. Alumni Reunion was held at the Morton residence. Every indication leads to the social prominence of the Morton's in the Clarion community. At the time of Mr. Morton’s Death, his daughterswere: Olivia M. Morton, Ella M. Kearney, Jesse H. Mechem, and Francis B. Morton. Miss Olivia Morton graduated from lowa State College and taught a "Musical Kindergarten" at the University of New Mexico. She married H. J. Stone in 1905. Mrs. Ella M. Kearney had her wedding in her parents' home in Clarion. Her husband was a bank vice-president. Mrs. Kearney became "one of the city's (Milwaukee) most active civic workers and philanthropist." When she died at the age of 69, she left $83,500 to charitable organizations. Miss Francis Morton was an accomplished vocalist and sang concerts in lowa, Wisconsin and New Mexico. She was appointed Deputy Co. Recorder in Wright Co. on January 6, 1897. The property was transfered to Jessie H. Mechem in 1901 after the death of her father, by the remainder of the heirs. Jessie Hannah Morton married George Lewis Mechem, Sept. 11, 1893. George Lewis Mechem taught in country schools and attended college at Columbus Junction and Ames. He studied Civil Engineering and successfully followed the profession. He was Wright County's first county engineer or surveyor as they were called at that time. Jessie and George Mechem had three children, Mary Malinda Mechem Hoyt, Jessie Elizabeth Mechem Goslin, and Lewis Morton Mechem. While the Mechem's resided in the house, funeral services were held there for Miss Mary Curry, a cousin of Mrs. Mechem's whom she had cared for for over a year during her illness. In 1936, Jessie Mechem, now widowed, sold the house to J. A. Winskell and Alma A. Latham. They and their spouses sold the house to Albert and Pauline Bierl on August 31, 1940, for $3,800. The Bierl's came from Cascade where they had previously farmed and ran the Gamble store for one year. They bought and operated the Gamble store in Clarion upon moving to Clarion. The Bierl's had three sons and one adopted daughter; Don, Vernus, Duane and Mary Ann. Donald H. and Darlene M. Bierl bought the house from his parents on August 8, 1960. They are the present owners and residents. Two weeks after they moved in, their third child, Michelle, was born. Other children in the family include Micheal, Ramona, Steven and James. A family room was added in 1970 and the original fireplace was removed due to it's faulty chimney and poor location near the thermostat. It has been stored away in the attic, perhaps some day to be relocated. Over the years the pillars, French doors, swinging doors etc. have been removed. But the lovely china cabinet, woodwork, stairway and windows remain.

 OVERBAUGH HOME

802 Second St. NW 

 The house at 802 2nd St. NW was built in 1909 by J. M. Overbaugh, a lumber merchant. When the house was built it consisted of twelve large rooms. The front door opened into a large hall with an open winding stairway leading to the second floor. One could enter one of the parlors through French doors, which are still being used today. Continuing down the hall there was a study and a dining room on the north side and another parlor and living room on the south side. Floors in the study and dining room were parquetry inlay rosewood and oak. All other floors were oak, and still in use. Wainscoting in the front hall and what was formerly the largest parlor is still in use. At the west end of the house was a kitchen with back porch. At the top of the stairs was a hall running the full length of the house. The large master bedroom was at the front of the house with two bedrooms on each side of the hall, making five bedrooms, a large storage room and a back stairs going to the kitchen. Circular porches were around the house on the entire east and south sides, supported by wooden cylindrical columns. The east porch was later enclosed with screen. The upper story siding consists of decorative design and scroll work. The roof has eight gables. This house was built with the best of lumber and always well cared for. The J. M. Overbaughs had four children- Edward, a lawyer; Oliver and Louise, who are now deceased; and Maybelle Overbaugh Huntley, who is still living with a daughter in Kanawha at the age of 87. D. B. and Gertrude Gilligan bought the house in 1916. Later, when Mr. Gilligan died, Mrs. Gilligan made her home into three apartments. Mrs. Gilligan came to the Midwest from Copenhagen, Denmark, as a young lady and still has the beautiful china dishes she brought with her. They are now at the home of her daughter, Marianne Gaulke. Mrs. Gilligan is now living at the Rotary Ann home in Eagle Grove at the age of 88. One thing Marianne remembers is the big Christmas tree which was always in the front hall morning. behind the locked French doors until Christmas  morning.  Gilligans owned the house until August 1975 when  G. Saarie pruchased it. J. M. Overbaugh was associated with Henry Eyler in business for many years. Henry Eyler was the father of Clarion's John H. Eyler, longtime funeral home owner who was named for John Overbaugh and his father Henry. The father of John Overbaugh was Charles Overbaugh, early Boone Township farmer. John, who came with his father to Wright County in 1858, recalled many of the hardships of those first settlers. He and his brother William also farmed in Boone Township before moving into Clarion


PETERSON HOME

Corner 6th Ave & 2nd St.

The large white 2-1/2 story house on the northwest corner of Sixth Ave and Second St. Had been home to only two families, though it will be a century old in just a few years. The November 12, 1879, issue of the Wright County Monitor tells us: "C. F. Peterson has purchased of G. A. McKay the premises he has been occupying for the past six months. (This is the 8 lots). It is a fine location and affords Charley every opportunity for a good home by and by, and we understand that he intends starting the boom by building a new house next season. The builder of the house, Charles F. Peterson, was born in the state of New York. His parents moved to a Vernon Township farm in Wright County in 1869. He went to high school at Alden, graduated from the University of Iowa in law in 1878, and became a member of the Wright County Bar. In October 1878 the firm of N. F. Weber - C. F. Peterson was formed in Clarion. He was also associated with A. R. Ladd in the practice of law and, later, with W. T. R. Humphrey, another Clarion lawyer. In 1912 Mr. Peterson associated himself with the law firm of McGrath & Archerd of Eagle Grove, but still maintaining his office in Clarion. In 1879, Mr. Peterson was elected County Superintendent of Schools and served two, two year terms. He served as County Attorney for Wright County for two terms and for several years was the legal advisor to the Wright County Board of Supervisors in all drainage proceedings, of which he was recognized as an authority. His experience, both as an attorney and as a surveyor, proved to be of great value when he served as State Senator during the 33rd and 34th General Assemblies of lowa. He is considered as the "father of the lowa Drainage Law" which he wrote and saw passed while serving as State Senator. The Petersons had twin sons who died in infancy. They also had a daughter and two sons. In 1915 they sold their home to Leslie Archerd and moved to their lake home at Lake Okoboji. The floor plan of the house remains the same as it was in 1915 when the Archerds bought it. Even then there was indoor plumbing and central hot water heat, using radiators. Through the years the Archerds have added a fireplace in the dining area; hardwood floors were installed; the coal fired furnace converted to gas; and a porch at the south side enclosed. Doors from the entryway enter into a parlor or to the living room. Here each of the Archerd daughters, Elizabeth and Jessie, were married standing in the bay window area. Up steep stairs are found three bedrooms and still more steep stairs lead to the attic. High ceilings throughout the house give a feeling of spaciousness. The high ceilings and the extra attic room have made the exterior an elongated gothic style of that Victorian period. The outside is unusually decorated with carpentry detail and a great amount of hand labor went into its finishing. A large picture window faces the street to the east; the other windows are mainly double. Walking up the sidewalk to the front door and glancing upwards one notes a lovely round colored and patterned stained glass window at the attic level. Other attic windows are of plain stained glass. To the south is a window with vari-colored stained glass pieces surrounding a plain glass in the entryway; a bay of windows is also on the south side. The yard is an integral part of the home for all the Archerds have enjoyed planting, caring and watching plants grow thru these sixty years. A pump, well, and a coal shed are in the back yard-reminders of an earlier time. The garage is the same one that was there when the Archerds moved into the house. Leslie N. Archerd was born in Marshall County, lowa. His parents moved to Eagle Grove where he attended high School. He was a student at Cornell College for one year but came down with typhoid fever and was unable to finish. After recovering, he studied law under and in the office of John W. McGrath of Eagle Grove also serving as Mr. McGrath's law clerk. In 1905 he passed the bar exam. The year 1905 was a very special year for Mr. Archerd, besides taking and taking and passing the bar examination, he married Lacy Warnes in November, and became a member of the Masonic Lodge. Mr. Archerd became a partner with Mr. McGrath in the practice of law and this relationship continued even after moving to Clarion in May of 1912. He served as County Attorney for two, two year terms. The family first lived one block east of their present home in the Nina Courson house. The house has countless memories. Besides having the daughters married in the home, some of the grandchildren were born there. Eastman Addition, Block 12, Lots 5 & 6
 

SMITH HOME

314 First St. NW

 

JESSE SMITH HOUSE 314 First St. N.W. This large rambling house was built by Jesse Smith who was born April 26, 1856 in Pennsylvania and was one of seven children. The parents, John and Caroline Rummel Smith, were both natives of Germany. John Smith owned a grist-mill in Fort Dodge, lowa and drowned in the Des Moines River in 1885. His wife died five years later. Jesse Smith was educated in Pennsylvania and in Fort Dodge and was a cabinet maker. He worked in Fort Dodge, Marshalltown and Ackley. In 1883 he moved to Clarion where he established a furniture and undertaking business. He married Lula Abrams, daughter of John Abrams. They had five children, two of which died in infancy. The other three children were: Granville who married Mildred Sturgeon; Claude, who married J. C. Carman, and Minnie who married Dan Collins. After the death of his first wife Jesse Smith married Lena Leininger, daughter of John Leininger. The size of the house is imposing with its concrete porches and many jogs. The front veranda was known as the coolest place in town and for years Mrs. Smith and two of her best friends could be seen sitting in rockers on the porch in the summer time. Golden oak is used throughout the house. The entry hall is large and an open stairway is on the south wall, which is lighted by a leaded glass keyhole window at the first landing and by a large window on the second landing. Carved and beaded woodwork is used and it has a beautifully carved newel post and supporting verge-boards. The downstairs rooms have golden oak flooring with parquerty corners. The entry hall could be shut off by sliding doors leading to the front parlor and a paneled door leading to the second parlor. The second parlor has a tiled fireplace with an ornate cast iron fire-screen. A mirror and two shelves was above the fireplace but this has been removed to the attic. A trio of windows, with colored glass panes at the top, allow the sun's rays to fall in rainbow hues on the floor and furnishings. Curved and ornate wooden buffers protect each protruding corner. The large dining room features a golden oak beamed ceiling in squares, embossed wainscoting, a built-in china closet and a bay window. A door to the balcony. outside leads to a small porch and above it is an open The kitchen is almost in its original state with only a modern sink added. A bathroom was also added to the northwest corner of the kitchen and the claw-legged tub is still there.

Upstairs are five bedrooms, one which has the original wallpaper. The front bedroom has a small dressing room and all bedrooms have transoms for ventilation. A well was once on the north side of the house close to where the Vic Uker home now stands. A the Hermie Knutsen backyard, of today, and there circular driveway led north between the lot line of was an easement arrangement with the Schwartzen- druber sisters who owned the property at the time. The barn which housed the hearse, horses and dray were torn down and a three-part garage was built for the hearse, furniture truck and family car. Original Town, Block 5, South 1⁄2 of lots 1, 2 &7 and North 33 ft. of lots 7 & 8


SAM HOME

602 North Main St.

DR. J. H. SAMS HOUSE Eyler Funeral Home - 602 North Main St. The Eyler Funeral home was built and designed by Dr. and Mrs. J. H. Sams in 1909. McManus, a contractor in Clarion built the home. Dr. Herbert Walker and George Linebarger did all the finishing work and painting. Frank Porter did th0. The entire home is back-plastered. Walls were canvassed and then painted. The foundation and steps are made of sandstone which was hauled in by wagon from Lake Cornelia when it was dry. A special feature was a gas generator in the basement. This provided light for the house. Hot water heat with zone wiring was installed. The water was pumped from a cistern under the front porch. The floors on the first two stories are solid oak. The original finish still exists on most of the solid, white quartered oak woodwork. There is a brick fireplace and bookcases in the living and dining rooms. These have been painted to lighten the rooms. The ceramic tile front porch floor is original, as well as the stained glass above the front door. The windows are also original; however, combination storms have been added. On the west side of the house was a grape arbor; on the north a horse stable, which was later made into a garage. Here you also found a rock and flower garden as well as a fish pond. On the south lawn was also a flower garden. 9 Dr. Sams, a family physician and surgeon, retired and sold his home to Granville Smith a furniture merchant and funeral director in 1936. Jack Eyler, who worked for Smith as a funeral director moved into the home where he continued his profession. In 1940, Jack bought the home from Granville Smith. In 1956, the Eylers' added the chapel and enlarged the garage and drive-way. In 1969, Jack sold his home to the present owners, Rodney and Bonnie Moller. Dr. Sams passed away in 1958, and Mrs. Sams in 1962. The Sam's had four children, two of whom are still living. Daughter Marjorie, Mrs. Harry Huddleson, lives in Des Moines and son Lynn, in California. Jack and Caroline Eyler have retired to a home they built in Clarion in 1959. The Eylers' have one daughter, Shirley. Shirley and Ed Baker and their three children are presently living in Denver, Colorado.

Dr. O. H. SOSSAMAN HOME

821 South Main St.

Clarion's first dentist, Dr. Oliver Sossaman, built a home on south main street which was in the earliest residential area of Clarion. The town had seven doctors at the time but only the one dentist. He was described in the 1896 souvenir book as "Foremost in his profession, having had several years of experience and being thoroughly qualified." He graduated from State University of Iowa. The lot he purchased was part of the Dan Leonard Tract. It had been sold to County Clerk, McKay, in 1878 and his widow Helen sold it to Dr. Sossaman and his wife Sula in 1893. Little is known about Dr. Sossaman but he apparently lost the property in 1903 and several owners followed, Jerry Fairbanks, A. E. Weber and an Ole Olson of Eagle Grove. In 1931 John (Gus) Dahlgren retired from his Wall Lake Township farm and bought the house from Ole Olson. He and his wife, Hulda, lived there until 1971 when Mrs. Dahlgren died. Gus preceded her in death by ten years. Gus Dahlgren and Hulda Anderson were both born in Sweden and were married in 1904 after Gus began farming in Wall Lake Township. There were two sons, Elmer, who died in 1961 and, Harold, who farmed his father's farm until 1968 when he retired and moved into Clarion. Harold Dahlgren owns the house today as a rental property. It has been remodeled and modernized through the years but the exterior is quite recognizable from an old picture with a diagonal bay window to the southwest, a front porch with the original trim and two back porches to the east. two sons, Elmer, who died in 1961 and, Harold, who farmed his father's farm until 1968 when he retired and moved into Clarion. Harold Dahlgren owns the house today as a rental property. It has been remodeled and modernized through the years but the exterior is quite recognizable from an old picture with a diagonal bay window to the southwest, a front porch with the original trim and two back porches to the east.

W. A. STARK HOUSE

518 First St NW

W. A. STARK HOUSES Fred Osier - 620 First Ave. N.W. Jerde Apartments - 518 First Ave. N.W. The large dignified Victorian home that has been an apartment house for many years is on the site of the first W. A. Stark home. J. E. Glendy built the smaller house for Mr. Stark in 1886 and it was moved in 1899 one block north to 620 First Ave. NW to make room for the fine new home which exemplifies the prosperity of that time. Mr. & Mrs. Fred Osier live in the smaller house today and it has been their home for 68 years. Born on a farm at Lake Cornelia, Mr. Osier is 94 years old, and recalls much of the very early history of Clarion. He did many things for a living in those days, including serving as County Auditor for a time, he worked in the post office, and built county roads but finally opened a neighborhood grocery store in his home. This store was in operation for thirty-two years. Mrs. Osier is the former Mina Biggs. Construction on the new W. A. Stark house began in 1899. It was hoped to be completed by New Year's Eve for a turn-of-the-century party but this was not accomplished. The Stark family moved into the house in April of 1900. Mr. Stark and his brother owned three general merchandising stores in the state, one of which was in Clarion. They also had land holdings in Wright County. William Stark was born in 1862 and came to Clarion from Grundy County in 1884. He was married to Doris Raff and they had five children, Anna, Hazel, Leon, Milo and Dean. His new home featured gas lights, its own water system, parquetry floors, leaded glass windows in a double front entry, a corner fireplace in one parlor, a handsome open stairway with a mural on the wall of angels and cherubs. One cherub represented an expected Stark baby, Dean. Art work adorned much of the house and in the living room there was an ornate canvas painting which was suspended 15 inches from the ceiling with a circle of roses and gold leaf. The foundation of native granite is 18 inches thick and is an integral part of the imposing exterior. The Ernest Schroeder family purchased the home in 1919 from the Starks and owned it until 1945 when the Ray V. Baileys bought it from the Schroeder estate. Maxine Bailey is the daughter of the Guy Sheldons of Rowan and Clarion, and granddaughter of the Schroeders. The house was completely remodeled by the Baileys in 1950-51 making the 34 rooms into seven apartments. The original features of the downstairs were carefully  preserved in the remodeling process. In 1973 the house was sold to James Jerde and the Baileys made their residence at a Lake Okoboji home. Until that time, in its 76 years of history, only three families have owned the house; the Stark family for 19 years, the Schroeders for 27 years and the Baileys for 28 years.


F.W. UMBRIET HOME

608 South Main St.

The land on which this home stands was originally owned by A. C. Ripley and wife and the deed was filed June 12, 1893 at the Wright County Court-house. The property exchanged hands several times and was owned by James Sturgeon, George E. Waln and George Schumacher who sold it to F. W. Umbreit in 1902. The heirs of F. W. Umbreit: Lucy Umbreit, Lydia Hanson, Rose Lehman, Cecile Hamilton and Fred Umbreit, received the house in December of 1933. Between the years of 1934 to 1937 each heir sold their share to Lucy so that in 1937 she was the sole owner. In 1949 Wayne and Margaret Ebert purchased the house and lot. The house has the charm and elegance of the early 1900's and, fortunately very little has been changed. An ornamental feature on the east side of the house is a tower which is accessible from the attic. There are three porches that are reminders of the gracious living of the period. A full basement has thick walls. There are two stairways inside the house both with leaded glass windows on the landings. The front stairway has a balcony which gives a view of the entry hall and front living room. All the woodwork downstairs is of cypress wood and the entry hall is paneled in squares of cypress. As with most of the houses of that period, there were two living rooms which were separated by large sliding doors and a sliding door also separates the dining room and second living room. The original fireplace decorated with wood and tile is still in use in the second living room which also has a large square bay window to the south. Another interesting and distinctive feature is the sliding serving door in the back of the built-in buffet which enables dishes to be passed from the kitchen to the dining room. Mr. Umbreit was a progressive man and when he built the house he put in such modern conveniences as closets in every upstairs room and an attic stairway from the large bathroom. The house is heated by steam heat with a furnace which uses gas today but coal was used originally. The light fixtures in the living room and dining room are the ones installed by the Umbreits when the house was built. Fredrick William Umbreit was a livestock farmer and through hard work and diligent application of his skills he acquired a large estate. He was born in Germany, April 19, 1851, the son of John and Rosena Wagner Umbreit. His father, John, was a shoemaker and violinist until the family moved to the United States where he settled in Columbia County, Wisconsin. Fredrick W. Umbreit was educated in Wisconsin and after farming with his father he moved to Franklin County, lowa and farmed for one year. In 1875 he came to Wall Lake Township of $5.00 an acre. The place at the time of his arrival was Wright County and purchased a farm of 240 acres at haul lumber from Blairsburg to build his first home. wild and unimproved and it was necessary for him to He married Mary Kaufman, daughter of August and Christena Butzer Kaufman. They had seven children: Lydia, Lucy, Benjamin, Fred, Rose, Cecile and Walter. Lucy Umbreit never married but left her mark as an educator on many Clarion residents who had her as either a public school or church school teacher. She taught in the rural schools as well as in Galt and Clarion for more than 25 years. Wayne Ebert, the present owner, came to Clarion as a teacher and both he and his wife Margaret are active in community affairs. Sturgeon Addition, Block 6, lot 2

G. W. YOUNG HOUSE

318 First St. NE


George W. Young built a house of later Victorian style at 318 First St. NE, now the Frank Middleton Apartments. It was a style which developed in the last years of the century and evolved into a true midwest type of architecture which was adapted to the climate and mode of life and was also an expres- sion of the affluence of the times. Generally of frame construction, the houses were large and roomy with wide porches and unpretentious decoration. Clarion physician and Dr. R. G. Bird, a obstetrician, owned the house for a number of years. He and his wife, Martha, lived on the third floor with the first floor used for offices and the second floor as a hospital. Many a new born arrived into the world at the Bird Hospital. In later years the Birds built the house next door to the west as their home. It is now owned by Jack and Beth Row. Frank and Jane Middleton bought the George Young house from the Birds. George W. Young married Elma Yarnell in 1890 and they had five children, June, Margaret, Mabel, George W., and Duane.

W.F. YOUNG HOUSE

109 2ND AVE NE (TORN DOWN)

Duane C. Young was a merchant in Alden, lowa as early as 1856. His business reached out from Alden as far as Clarion and had an impact on the new town's growth. In 1871 the Wright County Board of Supervisors offered the entire block north of the courthouse square to anyone who would erect a hotel to accommodate people moVving into Clarion. Itwas D. C. Young who took advantage of the offer and built the Clarion House. The lumber was brought by wagon from Alden and a wet spring and muddy roads made it a challenge but when it was completed it was a very fine hotel. After the hotel was built, his two sons, George W. and William F. Young, opened a store across the street and were in partnership there for fifteen years. In 1881 Duane Young established a bank in Clarion known as the Bank of Clarion. His son-in-law, A. E. Alexander, was cashier in the bank and Mr. Young built a fine home for his daughter, Mabel, and her husband. The A. E. Alexander home now belongs to C. H. Crowe. George W. Young became president of his father's bank in 1907 after he and his brother dissolved their partnership as merchants. The brother, William F. Young moved to California. In Clarion, Wm. F. Young built the house at 109 Second Ave. NE which is typical of the Italian influence in early Victorian architecture. It is classic in design with a flat roof which has iron grill work as a touch of elegance. The elongated windows and bays were popular in the period. Dr. Sams, a Clarion physician, owned the house before he built, what is now, Eyler Funeral Home. The Whiteside family who owned a restaurant in Clarion bought it from Dr. Sams and sold it to Charles Bunn in 1952. The two apartments in the house today are rented by Mr. Bunn.

Information from Wright County Monitor and 1976 "Houses on the Prairie" by American Association of University Women, Clarion Branch.  Every effort has been made to check for accuracy.  Any errors should be reported to coordinator.