Historical Sketches of Iowa Baptists, 1886
submitted by: Constance Diamond - dusters34@frontier.com


Pages 383-386
Historical Sketches of Iowa Baptists, 1886
S. H. Mitchell
Published by Burdette Co., Burlington, Iowa

East Nodaway Association Organized 1874.
Between the Southwestern and East
Grand River 1875 to 1886
AT the meeting of the Southwestern Association held at Bedford, Iowa, in 1874, a committee reported in favor of the formation of a new Association between that Association and East Grand River, on the east of it; and a meeting was appointed to be held at Corning, in November of that year for the purpose of organization. In 1875 we find a record, accordingly, of the East Nodaway Association, with 15 churches, 9 pastors, 45 baptisms during the year, and 694 members. Ten of the churches were from the East Grand River Association, and only three from the Southwestern. The names of the churches, with their pastors and the number of members in each, were as follows: Adams County 1st Church, D. C. Ellis, 80; Bedford, G. W. Robey, 118; Buchanan, I. M. Seay, 35; Corning, P. Andrews, 65; Goshen, E. Ellis, 44; Hayden Grove, I. M. Seay, 50; Hickory Grove, M. M. Case, 17; Memory, I. M. Seay, 29; Mormontown, Wm. Golding, 28; Mount Zion, E. Otis, 20; New Hope, E. Otis, 20; Platte Prairie, D. T. Smith, 23; Platteville, E. Otis, 26; Prescott, Wm. Golding, 30, and Union, E. Otis, 47. The first clerk of the new Association was J. A. Marley of Memory.

1876 ... The Second Anniversary was held at Prescott, in 1876. J. A. Marley, clerk, then of Clarinda. Hickory Grove and Platte Prairie were dropped from the record, but 1876 three new churches were added, viz: Grant Center, Kent and Lennox. D. T. Smith is pastor of the first two and Wm. Golding of the last. Eighty-three baptisms are reported and 746 members. The East Nodaway Association may be said to have sprung into being full-grown, to have been launched on its voyage of usefulness under favorable winds, and possessing elements of strength and vitality. In 1877 it met at Bedford. Brother Marley still acts as clerk. The Conway Church was received with 9 members, J. B. Ritner, pastor, and Hopkins, Missouri, 27 members, Joseph Yates, pastor. Rev. J. D. Burr is pastor at Corning. The First Church Adams county entertained the Association in 1878. One hundred and seven baptisms were reported and 1,029 members. Bedford Church, Brother Robey still pastor, reports 75 baptized and 80 by letter, and a total membership of 278.

1878 ... This church, in 1878, ranked third in the State in members, Davenport being first with 372 members and Waterloo second with 342. Rev. J. D. Adams appeared as pastor at Mt. Zion and J. W. Hough at Prescott. The anniversary of the State Convention was held at Bedford in 1878. The first and only time it has ever been held southwest of Des Moines. The Association met in 1879 at Lennox. The Hopkins Church was dropped and Creston received from the East Grand River Association. Buchanan also disappears and Carbon comes from the Southwestern. Carbon enjoyed a revival in 1878, in which 17 were baptized and the membership raised to 91.

1880 ... In 1880 the anniversary was at Carbon. The Summerset Church was received with 21 members, H. S. Cloud pastor. W. K. Miller is preaching; at Corning; E. J. Lockwood at Hayden Grove, and J. L. Blakely at Union Church. Conway entertained the anniversary in 1881, J. D. Burr clerk. Brother Marley had served as clerk up to 1880. Rev. G. W. Robey closed his honored pastorate of six years at Bedford, and removed to Moberly, Mo. Rev. C. E. Taylor, recently of Grinnell, Iowa, is his successor. Rev. T. K. Tyson appears as pastor at Conway, Grant Center and Lenox. Rev. William Carpenter is supplying Prescott in connection with Alton in the Murray Association. Brother Andrews is preaching at Goshen, and R. Bosisto at Summerset. Every pastor dates the beginning of work on his present field this year, 1881, except two. H. S. Cloud at Bethel dates back to 1879, and E. Otis at Hayden Grove to 1880. The latter is a return to an old field where Brother Otis preached for many years. Bedford was the place of meeting in 1882, T. K. Tyson clerk. Rev. G. T. Colvin is preaching at Carbon and Corning. Clearfield is added to the list of churches. There are now 20 churches, 9 pastors, 88 baptisms reported, and 911 members. Rev. A. B. White succeeded a little later to the work at Corning and some other points. Brother White was a man of considerable ability who came from Springfield, Ohio, and after securing recognition and honors, and doing some good work among our churches in Southwestern Iowa, discovered that he was not in sympathy with the teachings and practices of our denomination, and withdrew from us.

1883 ... In 1883 the Association met at Creston. The former clerk. Brother J. A. Marley, returned to his post. Rev. James M. Smith returned from Indiana, where he had been for several years, and is living at Bedford. Rev. Edward Otis, for seventeen years pastor of the Hayden Grove Church, died, September 1, 1882. He preached his last sermon only the Sunday before his death. The meeting in 1884 was with the Adams County First Church. Rev. I. M. Seay was moderator. Rev. A. Jacobs had succeeded C. E. Taylor at Bedford. Revs. W. C. Shepherd and A. B. Buckner were ordained at Mormontown on April 5, 1884, and Rev. H. C. Nash came from Marley, Illinois, and succeeded G. A. Hertzog at Creston. Brother Hertzog settled in Creston in 1883. The eleventh annual meeting was held with the Mount Zion Church in 1885. I. M. Seay Moderator, H. C. Nash clerk. The names of five churches. Carbon, Clearfield, Grant Center, Lenox and Platteville, are erased from the list. The Delphos, Gay Street and Mount Pleasant churches were added. Rev. W. G. Howard was ordained at New Market, February 21, 1885.

1886 ... The report for 1886 brings inspiring news with which to close this sketch. Number of baptisms reported 129; members 900. The number of members is less than in the recent years, but the number of baptisms shows a good degree of spiritual life. Thirteen of the 20 churches are represented in the baptisms, in numbers ranging from one to 45. The larger sharers are Mt. Zion, 45; Mormontown, 25; Delphos, 12; Creston 11 and Gay Street 10. Rev. A. Stott is pastor at Bedford, George E. Eldridge at Gravity and New Market, Samuel Meacham at Pleasant Hill and W. J. Howard at Corning. Other pastors are H. S. Cloud, W. C. Shepherd, H. C. Nash, Wm. Golding and J. M. Smith. The East Nodaway Association bids fair to be a growing force in the field which it is to till for the Master.

Pages 41 - 46Historical Sketches of Iowa Baptists, 1886
S. H. Mitchell
Published by Burdette Co., Burlington, Iowa


Acknowledgement - Rapid Growth - Boundries
Associations Multiple Great Revivals
Baptisms - Home Mission Society 1859

FOR many of the facts contained in the last chapter, I am very largely indebted to a paper written by Rev. J. F. Childs, and read before the State Convention in 1874, and which has never been published. From his connection with the Secretaryship of the Convention for so many years, and his energy and zeal in gathering documents and facts, there probably is, or has been, no man in Iowa whose facilities for historical accuracy in these matters are equal to those of Bro. Childs.

In the present chapter we shall note the rapid growth of the general work in the decade from 1852 to 1862. In 1852 there were yet but three Associations, 50 Churches, and 1,996 members; one Baptist to 115 of the population. There were then 30 ministers. A year later, 1853, there are four Associations, 65 Churches, 36 ministers, 299 baptisms and 2,385 members. The border line of Baptists at this time might be drawn from Decatur county on the south, through "Fort Des Moines,"' bending to the eastward till it touches Marion, in Linn county, thence northward to West Point, in Fayette county, thence to Rossville, in Allamakee. It does not appear that there was an organization of Baptists west or north of this supposed line. Marshalltown, Waterloo, Cedar Falls and points north on the Cedar River, had then not been heard of as regards Baptists. The same is true of the territory stretching away westward towards the setting sun.

I can hardly forbear to pause and let imagination make her utmost effort to take in the situation. The standard, our great denominational paper for the northwest, under its present management, was about beginning its career of untold usefulness for this vast domain. That "Kansas-Nebraska Bill," which, by its repeal of the "Missouri Compromise" — thus seeking to open up to slavery the territories west to the Rocky Mountains — inaugurated the new "irrepressible conflict" which put an end to slavery in the United States, had not yet passed through Congress. It was indeed the beginning of a new era in many respects, and we shall find it the beginning of a new era with the Baptists of Iowa. We have seen that, for the ten years previous, growth had been slow; from 463 to 2,385, or an average of 192 2-10 per year. We may anticipate the next ten years' growth, from 1853 to 1863, by pointing out, here, that it is to be 10,208 or an average of 1,020 8-10 per year. We will take a bird's-eye view of this growth of Associations and Churches, mentioning the names only of such Churches as are, for geographical or other reasons, central or typical.

Turning over two years to 1855 we find three new Associations had been added, the Eden in 1853, and the Dubuque in 1855, while the Fox River Association, though organized several years earlier, does not appear in our records till about this time, and is not counted in the list previous to this date. The Central and Oskaloosa Associations had both been organized in 1852, making five at that date if Fox River had been counted. As near as I can get at the facts now, the Fox River Association was organized in 1849 as an Old-School Baptist Association, and came into our ranks about 1855. At this date there are unassociated Churches at Waterloo, at Oskaloosa, at Ottumwa, at Bedford, and at several other places. A year later at Council Bluffs and Red Oak Grove. These are picket posts. Others follow soon at Denison, with Rev. J. W. Denison on guard, and at Webster City, with Rev. O. A. Holmes, who had for several years previously held the fort at Maquoketa. Several of these unassociated Churches remained in that condition for a number of years — we speak now of these as central points — because they were too remote from other Churches to find association. We can understand by this something of what it cost to occupy these frontier posts. To name the noble brethren who did it, and many of whose names have run through all the subsequent history of our State, while
some have gone hence to stand on guard here no more, would be to lengthen these Sketches beyond the publisher's, if not the reader's, patience. Indeed, we can begin nowhere and end nowhere in the mention of names without the fear of omitting many just as worthy of mention as those named.

Turning now to the records as they stand in 1860, and looking back over the decade, what do we see of the growth of this active period? Here is the Bedford Association organized in 1856. It had in 1860 twenty-five Churches and 1,116 members. All of these churches except one had been organized within the ten years. The Cedar Valley Association, organized in 1856, has in 1860 nineteen Churches and 593 members, and every church organized since 1850. The Iowa Valley Association, organized in 1858, has seven Churches and 220 members, not a Church more than five years old, in 1860. The Linn Association, organized in 1857, has eighteen Churches and 617 members, and only two Churches that were organized prior to 1850. Fairview in 1848 and Marion in 1843. The Western Association, organized in 1859, has in 1860 ten Churches and 206 members, all the Churches organized within three years. The Dubuque Association, organized in 1855, has in 1860 eighteen Churches and 724 members. This Association was drawn largely from the Davenport and contains some of the older Churches of the State; nevertheless, of the eighteen Churches in 1860, twelve have been organized within the decade. Thus we have, leaving out the growth during the same period in the old Associations, added within this decade five new Associations (from 1858 to 1860) containing at the latter date eighty-seven Churches and 8,270 members. But the growth had been chiefly in the last half of the decade. Of the eighty-seven Churches only fifteen having been organized prior to 1855.

The Upper Des Moines, the English River, and the Turkey River Associations followed quickly in 1860, and the work has spread itself over the settled parts of the State; keeping pace, and more than keeping pace, with the rapid settlement of the State itself. In eight years the ratio of Baptists to the population has risen from one in 115 in 1852 to one in less than fifty-nine in 1860. The population of the State in the eight years has increased from 230,888 to 676,485, or nearly as multiplied by three. The period under review was not only one of growth by immigration, the rapid filling up of the State bringing in many energetic Baptists with the tide. It was evidently a period of great revival and spiritual activity among the Churches. The former period of seed sowing and slow growth was succeeded by one of ripening grain and Joyful reaping. It is refreshing to study the records of those years, and witness the evidence of God's gracious presence. It causes the prayer to rise up in my own heart as I write, "O Lord revive thy work." "Wilt thou not revive us again?" and "Restore unto us the joy of thy salvation?'' that we "may teach transgressors thv ways and that sinners may be converted to thee!" May I not pause here to ask that the Iowa readers of these imperfect sketches, when they read these lines, will join the writer in this fervent prayer?

The number of baptisms reported in 1853 was 299. This was the largest number that had ever been reported in any one year. The whole number reported for the ten years ending with 1853 was 1,513; an average of 151 per year. The whole number of baptisms for the ten years ending with 1863 was 8,998, an average of 899 per year. The great revival continued through the years 1858, 1859 and 1860; the baptisms were respectively 1,890, 1,173 and 1,324.

In our next chapter we shall give attention to the missionary activity of Iowa Baptists, and the origin and progress of the strictly Missionary History of the State Convention, with other features of Missionary growth. It will be proper to close this chapter with a notice of the Home Mission Society's work in Iowa during the period we have had under review. During the decade, 1852 to 1861, inclusive, the Society issued to missionaries in Iowa 194 commissions, an average of over nineteen per year. Their reports summarize as follows: Weeks of labor, 7,426 number of baptisms, 1,860; amount of appropriations, 138,917; amount of receipts, $4,990.

We will take the year 1859 as the period of high-tide. We find the Society's work for the year represented by the following weeks of labor: James Schofield, Hardin, 26; A. Chapin, Vinton, 13; J. Woodward, Cedar Rapids, 52 L. M. Newell, Waukon, 18; Thomas M. Ind, Burlington, 52; George Scott, Strawberry Point, 26; Charles E. Brown, Vernon Springs, 26; P. P. Shirley, Le Claire, 13; J. M. Coggshall, Wapello, 46; G. G. Edwards, Toledo, 39; J. F. Childs, Oskaloosa, 52; O. A. Holmes, Webster City, 52 A. G. Eberhart, Waterloo, 52; S. H. Worcester, Ottumwa, 52; J. Currier, Central Association, 29; Alvah Bush, Strawberry Point, 26; A. H. Starkweather, Lyons, 39; John Fulton, Independence, 26; A. W. Russell, Winterset, 26; F. D. Rickerson, Grinnell, 13; L. L. Frisk, Swede Bend, 26; Morgan Edwards, Burlington, 26; Wm. A. Eggleston, Denmark, 26; I. Butterfield, Davenport, 26; U. R. Walton, Cedar Falls, 13; T. S. Griffith, Keokuk, 26: L. Yarnell, Adel, 26. Of the above, eight are known to have discharged their last commission and gone over the river. Some are waiting at its borders and several are still in the harness in this and other States.

The present writer is privileged to acknowledge his own baptism by one of the missionaries, as one of the fruits of that same year, 1859.

Pages 267-275Historical Sketches of Iowa Baptists, 1886
S. H. Mitchell
Published by Burdette Co., Burlington, Iowa


The Iowa Valley Association—
The Edwards Brothers and Other Pioneers Toledo in 1855.
Association Organized in 1858.
Unfruitful for a Time but not Abandoned—1858 TO 1886.

RECORD was made in a former chapter of a Church organized in Toledo, Tama county, Iowa, in 1855. The next year it was found in the Cedar Valley Association. Rev. G.G. Edwards pastor, 18 baptisms and 58 members. In 1857 a Church was organized in Hardin county, called the Eldora Church, though most likely not in the town of Eldora. Churches were soon afterwards founded at Cedar Creek, Green Mountain, Grinnell, Redman, and Richland. For two or three years the only pastors were Brother G. G. Edwards, his brother E. S. Edwards and A. Dwight.

1858 ... In September 1858 pursuant to a call of the Toledo Church, a Convention met in that place to organize the Iowa Valley Association. Churches represented were Eldora, Green Mountain, Grinnell, Redman, Richland and Toledo. A sermon was preached by Rev. G.G. Edwards. Dr. Jarvis was Moderator, and H. S. Cloud clerk. The territory of the new organization was in Tama, Hardin, Marshall, Poweshiek, and later, Grundy counties with parts of Benton and Iowa. In 1859 the first anniversary was held at Green Mountain. Deacon John Higgins was chosen Moderator and F. D. Rickerson clerk. Brother Rickerson was preaching at Grinnell. The name Eldora disappears and Cedar Creek is added. It may be but a change of name of the same church. The membership is now 163 in five churches. Already four Sabbath Schools are reported with 32 teachers and 135 scholars. Rev. J. C. Miles of Brooklyn was preacher. Rev. G. G. Edwards read an earnest Circular letter on "Present efforts and responsibilities."

1860 ... Met in 1860 at Grinnell. Brother Rickerson preached the sermon, Moderator Higgins, clerk. Rev. Robert Turner. Columbia and Marietta Churches were received. Grinnell reports 15 baptisms and Toledo 12. Rev. Dexter P. Smith represented the State Convention, and Thomas M. Ind of Burlington was present. Brother Rickerson read a Circular letter on the "The importance of studying and applying the laws of efficiency and success in religious and Church work." In 1861 met at Marietta. Deacon Higgins Moderator, C. D. Kelsey clerk, and in 1862 at Toledo. Same chairman with Joshua Burley clerk. It seems a little remarkable that in this central part of the State the growth should, these early years, have been so slow, and that so little notice should have been taken of this rich valley by the State Convention. From 1857 to 1860, however, Rev. G. G. Edwards was under appointment of the Home Mission Society, and in 1859 and '60 Brother F.D. Rickerson. About this time —1862— Rev. A.A. Sawin removed from Marion, Iowa, and settled at West Irving, Benton county, where he began with much zeal the establishment of an Institution of Learning called "Addison Collegiate Institute."

1863 ... Green Mountain was the place of meeting again in 1863. R. Turner preacher and Moderator, Spencer Day clerk. The Edwards Brothers, G.G. and E.S. are both in the Union Army. The Marshalltown Church had just been organized and reported 16 members. Rev. W.H. Bibb is preaching at Honey Creek Church which comes in this year, though said to have been organized in 1860; H. S. Cloud at Green Mountain, and A. A. Sawin at Toledo, Not a baptism reported. It is, we believe, the only instance in the history of the State where an Association came together and held its anniversary and there was not a single baptism to report for a whole year. Here there was but one in two years. Five years history have added but one to the number of churches, and 30 to the number of members.

1864 ... In 1864 met in Marshalltown. Rev. John Cauch (?) preached the sermon. Deacon Higgins Moderator, Spencer Day clerk. Rev. A. A. Sawin died of small pox at West Irving during the year. Rev. R. D. Hartshorn at Grinnell, and W. H. Bibb at Honey Creek, are the only pastor. One solitary baptism. The outlook was truely discouraging enough, yet this field was not abandoned nor the existence and future of the Iowa Valley Association despaired of. In 1875 the Association met again at Grinnell. Rev. A. D. Lowe preached the sermon,
officers the same as last year. This meeting at Grinnell was a very inspiring one. The West Irving and Helena
churches were received. Also the Xenia Church, Hardin county. Rev. A.D. Lowe is pastor at Toledo, and Rev. A.F. Willey, late of Burlington, at Marshalltown. Rev. J.C. Miles, Helena, J. C. Corey, Honey Creek, P. S Whitman, West Irving, and Brother Dunbar and H. H. Half at Xenia make up the increased ministerial force. Rev, P. S. Whitman and his accomplished wife are in charge of the school at West Irving. The rebellion has been suppressed and Rev. G. G. Edwards has returned from the south with his heart all aglow in the interest of the Freedmen. He preached and took a collection amounting in money and pledges to $110.73. At 3 p. m. on Sabbath the congregation repaired to the water side and Pastor Hartshorn baptized three persons into the fellowship of the Grinnell Church.

1866 ... The meeting in 1866 was at West Irving. Rev. L. S. Livermore., who is preaching at Grinnell, delivers the
annual sermon. Officers unchanged. Grinnell have improved their meeting house and Marshalltown are building. The Grinnell meeting house was at first unfortunately located, and had afterwards to be removed to a more eligible site. Rev. A.F. Willey has been compelled, by feeble healthy to resign at Marshalltown. Rev. G.G. Edwards is again preaching at Toledo, Rev, B. W. Stilson has labored part of the year as missionary in a new and neglected field in Franklin county. The anniversary in 1867 was at Xenia. Rev. P. S. Whitman preached the sermon, O. A. Holmes, Moderator, Spencer Day, clerk. Brother Holmes, after" nine years of pioneer work at Webster City and other points, takes up the work laid down by Brother Willey, at Marshall town. Rev. A. Carpenter is pastor at Xenia. This meeting was made interesting by the presence of Rev. Dr. Kincaid, long a missionary in India.

1868 ... Toledo entertained the Association in 1868, Brother Holmes preached and presided. L. A. Scott, clerk. The
Friendship Baptist Church, of Timber Creek, and the Grundy Center Church were received. A. B. Masterson and A. C. Brockway, delegates. Rev. Thomas Brand has become pastor at Grinnell. Brother Brand spent a short time with the church in its earliest years. Marshalltown has been greatly blessed, 74 having been baptized and they now number 170. A church was reported at Orford this year and last, E.G O. Groat, pastor. The annual meeting in 1869 was at Marshalltown. Thomas Brand preacher and Moderator, H. A. Brown, clerk. A church has appeared at Eldora, E. P. Barker, pastor. Rev. H. A. Brown is preaching at Toledo. It has been a prosperous year, especially in the Marshalltown Church. Brother Holmes has baptized 61 and Brother Brown, at Toledo, 33. One hundred and twelve baptisms are reported in all and 610 members in 10 churches with 6 pastors. Growth has begun in this region as it had not been seen before. The largest number of baptisms in one year previous to 1868 was 31. Rev. A. Carpenter has begun work at Grundy Center.

1870 ... Met in 1870 at Grinnell. Rev. H. Brown preached the sermon, O.A. Holmes Moderator, Spencer Day clerk. Tama City Church is received, L.L. Gage, pastor. Rev. Myron Root is pastor at Eldora. Marshalltown has 238 members, and her church property is valued at $18,000. Tama City already has a $7,000 house, Grinnell a $6,500, and Toledo a $2,500. In 1871 Grundy Center was the entertaining church. Rev. T. Brand preached the introductory sermon. Officers unchanged. Steamboat Rock has been organized with 14 members, M. Root pastor. W. L. Cook is preaching at Eldora and A.V. Bloodgood at Irving. Rev. T.W. Powell with enfeebled health has resigned at Davenport and takes up lighter work at Tama City. Seventy baptisms are reported and 691 members. Union Church is received.

1872 ... Met in 1872 at Tama City. Rev. A. Carpenter preached and presided. Spencer Day clerk. The Point Pleasant Church was received. Brother Holmes has closed a very successful pastorate of five or six years at Marshalltown and goes to Tama City. He is succeeded at Marshalltown by Rev L.J. Fisher. The annual meeting in 1873 was at West Irving. A. Carpenter Moderator, H.A. Brown clerk. The Brooklyn Church was received from the English River Association. O.M. Merrick pastor. There is a new organization called Oakwood Church, C. Spragg, pastor. The name of the village and church of Orford is changed to Montour. Rev. A. Orcott is preaching at Xenia. The Association is now having a healthy growth; 70 baptisms are reported against 17 last year.

1874 ... In 1874 the meeting was at Steamboat Rock. Rev. D.N. Mason has succeeded Brother Fisher at Marshalltown. The Union Church after reporting only a year or two disappears. Many churches have very brief history. Officers, O.A. Holmes Moderator, H.A. Brown clerk. Brother Brown preached the introductory sermon. In 1875 Marshalltown again entertained the Association. Rev. E.P. Barker preached the sermon, W.L. Cook Moderator, H.A. Brown still clerk. Rev. J.C. Bywater is preaching at Brooklyn and Rev. E. Wood at Irving. Grundy Center dedicated a good and commodious meeting house in December, 1875. This church has shown a healthy though not rapid growth. Brother Carpenter has been its only pastor since its organization in 1868.

1876 ... In 1876 the Anniversary was at Grundy Center, Rev. J.C. Hurd Moderator. E.P. Barker clerk. Rev. W.L. Cook preached the sermon. Rev. A.H, Post is preaching at Brooklyn and Gifford. The latter is a new organization with 27 members, 9 of whom were received by baptism. Rev. J.C. Hurd has become pastor at Marshalltown, succeeding Brother Mason who removes to Marion and becomes pastor there and secretary of the State Convention. Brother Hurd at Marshalltown reports 24 baptisms, Pastor Holmes at Tama City 53, Carpenter at Grundy Center 11, and Cook at Pt. Pleasant 10. Whole number of baptisms 130. The largest in the history of the Association. Rev. J.C. Bywater of Brooklyn died during the year. In 1877 the Association met at Tama City. Rev. J.C. Hurd preached the annual sermon, O. A. Holmes Moderator, S. H. Mitchell clerk. Rev. A. Carpenter has resigned his long and successful pastorate at Grundy Center, and S.H. Mitchell has succeeded him. Brother Brand has served nine years as pastor at Grinnell, H. A. Brown eight at Toledo, and O. A. Holmes five at Tama City. These with Brother Carpenter's eight years of service just closed make an encouraging record for pastoral permanency.

1878 ... In 1878 Grinnell was the place of meeting. Sermon by S. H. Mitchell. Officers the same as in 1877. The Marengo Church transfers its connection from the English River Association to this body. Rev. George E. Eldridge is pastor. This is really a restoration of the Marengo Church which was dropped from the records of its Association some years ago. Marengo is a hard field for a Baptist church, but Brother Eldridge is doing a good work for the time being, and be will have his reward. Rev. J. C. Hurd has resigned at Marshalltown and become pastor of the 1st Church of Burlington. Marshalltown reports 23 baptisms but no pastor. Rev. George Houghton is preaching at Eldora and has led the church in a movement to secure a church home. In 1879 the Association met at Eldora, in their new church home. Brother Houghton, who was ordained here last April, has resigned and Rev. T. F. Babcock is on the ground read}' to enter the vacant place. Rev. O. A. Holmes preached the sermon and was Moderator, and S. H. Mitchell still clerk. Rev. Thomas Brand has resigned after eleven years constant service at Grinnell, and Rev. H. C. Leland is pastor. Rev. H. A. Brown, in addition to his pastoral work at Toledo, has for a number of years been county superintendent of schools in Tama county. He has now resigned at Toledo and they are without a pastor. Rev. T. W. Powell has become pastor at Marshalltown, and has set about the arduous task of freeing the church from a $4,000 debt.

In 1880 the Association met at Marshalltown. The time of meeting has been changed to the middle of the week. . Rev. I. W. Reed, who seems to have been a visitor, preached the sermon. Hon. Delos Arnold was Moderator. Clerk the same as for the three years previous. Baptisms 125, members 927. This is the third time in the history of the organization that the number of baptisms has exceeded 100. Grinnell reports 69; but Bro. Leland, after this great ingathering, has resigned and removed to Chicago. Rev. C. E. Taylor, late of Illinois is his successor. Brother Powell, having accomplished the work at Marshalltown for which his faith and tact so well fitted him, the entire removal of their troublesome church debt, has removed and become pastor of the Grand Avenue Church, Milwaukee. Rev. J. C. Johnson is preaching at Toledo. Rev. A. Carpenter has been preaching at Oakwood and Point Pleasant since 1878. The church at Grundy Center, twelve years old, is receiving missionary aid for the first time in its history; the occasion now being a debt of 'S500, caused by the failure to collect pledges made at the dedication of its meeting house in December, 1875. The 'debt when the pastor Mitchell first took charge of the church in 1877 was considerably larger.

The Anniversary in 1881 was at Toledo. Rev. T. F. Babcock preached the sermon, S. H. Mitchell Moderator, Spencer Day, after an interval of eight years, is again clerk. Rev. A. C. Wilkins has settled as pastor at Marshalltown. The Gifford Church, virtually extinct for a number of years, has been reorganized, and recognized by a Council, but with limited prospect of durability as a church. Brother Taylor has resigned at Grinnell and gone to Bedford, Iowa. Rev. A. J. Delano labored a part of the year at Marengo, but the field does not give promise of success. In 1882 Grundy Center again entertains the Association. Rev. J. L. Coppoc is the preacher A. Carpenter Moderator, Spencer Day clerk. Brother Coppoc is preaching at Toledo. S. H. Mitchell closes a pastorate of five and-a-fourth years at Grundy Center and goes to take charge of the church at Danville, Iowa. The Grundy Center Church have been regularly paying the interest and $100 a year on the principal of their debt.

1883 ... Tama City has the Association in 1883. Rev. H. B. Foskett, who has become pastor at Marshalltown, preached the sermon. Rev. T. Brand Moderator, S. Day clerk. Rev. Thomas Anderson is ordained pastor at Grundy Center. Harry Woodson is preaching at Eldora, Rev. C. H. DeWolf at Grinnell, and Rev. D. T. Richards succeeds pastor Holmes after eleven years of labor at Tama City. Brother Holmes goes to Nebraska. Few men in Iowa could be more reluctantly spared. Rev. H. L. Steele is preaching at Marengo. A church has been organized at Ferguson. In 1884 Grinnell entertained the Association for the 5th time. H. B. Foskett Moderator, Spencer Day clerk. In the 27 years' history of the body up to 1884 Brother Day has been its clerk 12 years. Rev. C. H. DeWolf, after a brief stay at Grinnell, becomes pastor of the First Baptist Church, Cedar Rapids, and Rev. E. English has removed from Vinton to Grinnell. Rev. A. F. Howell is preaching at Toledo in connection with Belle Plain. Rev. H. H. Clouse of Van Home is supplying Ferguson. Brother Harry Woodson was ordained at Eldora in April.

1885 ... The Association in 1885 convened at Marshalltown. Elder Brand again serving as Moderator, Thomas Anderson clerk. Brother Anderson was the preacher of the 1885. annual sermon. Baptisms reported 71, members 759. This Association has changed but little in territory. It has never had a thousand members, and for several years the number has been diminishing. But it has an honorable record. In one respect it seems to have excelled. That is in its long pastorates. 1886 exhibits increased diminution. Only 11 baptisms and 673 members. Brother Anderson has resigned at Grundy Center.