|
|
| Meriden
has had three school buildings, the first, a frame building, stood on
the present school ground. It was replaced later by a two-story frame
building which some years later was doubled in size, making a four-room
building, only three rooms of which were used until about 1911, when a
fourth teacher was hired. The first building which was moved down on Main street, was remodeled into a store building for N. C. Buswell, the building now being the A. M. Buswell store. In 1915 the present brick building was erected and the other building sold to parties who removed it from the grounds. A few years later Meriden and the surrounding school district were consolidated, so that there is again a demand for a larger building and added equipment. One of the early successful teachers in Meriden was Mrs. Frank Wilson. Of her work here we are not specially informed, but a short time previous to her work here, the writer then a small child, had the good fortune to be a pupil of Mrs. Wilson, who then lived in the eastern part of the county. A word in regard to her work seems not a miss here as typical of many of the teachers of the early days. This woman, living on a homestead with her husband and four children, three of them being among her pupils, went one and one half miles to school each day, taking the smallest child also with her; found time not only to teach her pupils thoroughly in books, but also to give them practical lessons both by precept and example in right living and moral character building that was marvelous. She so maneuvered affairs both in school sessions and intermission that both work and play were so thoroughly supervised that t her hands her pupils received more preparation for their life work morally than is sometimes now received more preparation for their life work morally than is sometimes now received in a four year course. James Hogan is also recalled as one of Meriden’s successful school principals. W. O Dailey, present county auditor, was principal for many years in Meriden, also taking a heart interest in his pupils and he deserved and received the thorough appreciations of the community. He resigned in Dec. 1912, to take up his work at the court house in January 1913. His successors were Miss McCoy, of LeMars, John Laughlin of Cherokee, and principals Core and Superintendents Kessler, Erlandson, Gold and Wescoat, the latter now beginning his eighth year in Meriden. Of Meriden’s grade teachers Miss Ada Ashenfelter was the longest employed, being for many years teacher of the first and second grade room. She in reality taught three grades, there being what they called a preliminary or beginners grade, making three in all. Miss Ashenfelter was much beloved by her pupils and also trained them to good manners and her erstwhile pupils though grown up are heard to “yes ma’am,” “yes sir,” “no ma’am” “no sir” and “excuse me please” etc. to this day. Miss Ora Shefferd was for several years one of Meriden’s efficient primary teachers. She is now Mrs. Floyd Hamilton of Marcus. Source: Source: The Cherokee Chief, Cherokee, IA, Mon, Sep 5, 1927 |
Return to Schools Index
Return to Home Page