USGenWeb Cherokee County IAGenweb
IAGenWeb

Cherokee County Churches

Meriden

The Swedish Baptist Church


Meriden Swedish Baptist Church
Organized September 27, 1869

Rev. A. O. Malmberg was chosen pastor and served until 1887. The church had most of the time trouble within its ranks, yet it continued for fully 60 years. At certain periods it had revivals and additions to its membership. Some members moved to California.  Among them pastor Malmberg with family. Here they organized the Linne Baptist church in San Luis Obispo county. The organization has disbanded.

Some members moved to Orleans, S. Dak. Here they organized a Swedish Baptist church of eight members. That church prospered and grew in membership. Later it merged with two other Baptist churches at Norbeck.

When C. G. Nelson was pastor, the church erected a very 
fine house of worship and the writer was present at the dedication. There was usually good attendance at their public services, but at the very festival of the dedication it was a lack of harmony and soon there was trouble about the church debt and the young pastor moved away.

During its history many souls have been converted. This was especially the case when a great revival took place while Paul Johnson was State missionary.

Finally, the Baptist organization disbanded. The property was sold to the Free church which is doing good evangelistic work in the large Swedish settlement.

Rev. A. O. Malmberg is still living, having entered on the 99th year of his life.

(Source: 80 Years of Swedish Baptist Work in Iowa, 1853 - 1933, by L. J. Ahlstrom. pgs 266-267)



The Swedish Baptist Church in Meriden was organized on the 27th of September 1869 with five members. Brother A. O. Malmberg was the congregation's leader from its organization until the year 1887. The church joined the Iowa, Nebraska and Dakota conference in 1873. It was reorganized with 21 members on the 20th of September 1880.

Brother C. G. Nelson was called and was the church's pastor from 1887 until 1890. During that time the church building was erected and paid for. Brother L. E. Olson (Farell) served the church during the vacation of 1892. Brother Alfred Lindberg served during the vacation periods of 1894 and 1895. Brother P. G. Nelson came to Meriden in the spring of 1898 and served the church until the fall of 1899. After him, Brother Gust Hall was called and served the church for three years. During his period of service,the church built a parsonage. The number of members when Brother Hall left was 19. The church is without a pastor for the present.

(Source: Minnes-Album Over Svennska Baptisternas i Iowa...1883 - 1908, pg. 51)




Return to Church Index

Return to Home Page

Page created 4 Jun 2025