USGenWeb Cherokee County IAGenweb
IAGenWeb

Cherokee County Churches


Cherokee

First Congregational Church


The Congregational Church at Cherokee was organized in 1870. Rev. J. R. Upton, one of the original seven ministers of this church faith, who came to Iowa at a very early date commenced missionary work and was better known as “Father Upton” of Spirit Lake, and was the first one to visit Cherokee county. He began work as a missionary in 1869 and June 5, 1870, he appointed a meeting of a preliminary nature at Hazard (now called Meriden). This meeting was held at Hazard because no room could be procured in Cherokee, the Presbyterian brethren having preempted the only available room for that day and for the same purpose of organizing a church at Cherokee. The meeting held at Hazard resulted in a determination to organize a church and the meeting was adjourned to meet June 12th at Cherokee in the old courthouse where the church was organized with the following as charter members of the “First Congregational Church of Cherokee, Iowa”: 


Calvin Bushnell, Mrs. Mary Bushnell, Henry Bushnell, Mrs. Sophia Bushnell, James A. Henderson, Mrs. Angelina Henderson, Mrs. E. E. Kellogg, and Dr. Royal L. Cleaves.

The following Sabbath, four more united with the newly formed church – Lyman Pierce, Mrs. Pheobe Pierce, James W. Coombs, and Mrs. Lucretia Coombs. Of the charter members, but one remains alive – Dr. R. L. Cleaves, who is still a resident of this city.


Calvin Bushnell was the first deacon; Dr. Cleaves was the first church clerk and William F. Rose, sent out by the Home Missionary Society, took charge as pastor of the new church, and continued as pastor of the new church, and continued as pastor for more than five years.

In the autumn of 1873, the congregation became weary of having no church building and it was determined to erect a house of worship of their own, so a frame building 34x50 feet was built at an expense of $ 4,000 which was dedicated March 22, 1874, by Rev. John Morley of Sioux City assisted by Rev. D. D. Frost of Le Mars and Rev. W. L. Coleman of Spencer. This edifice served the congregation until the erection of the present magnificent brick structure complete in 1900; the dedicatory services being h eld on Sunday, Feb. 25, 1900. The corner-stone was laid Sept. 26, 1899, showing a rapid work in the completion of a structure of this size.  A great crown witnessed this ceremony. An audience estimated at 1,200 assembled, filling, not only the main audience room and a large lecture room, but also the ladies parlors, and in fact, every nook where a person could gain standing room.

The pastors of this church have been as follows:
J. R. Tipton, 1869 – 1870

Wm. F. Rose, August 1870 – September 1875

Fayette Hurd, April 1876 – October 1878

T. M. Corley, October 1878 – October 1879

John Scott, December 1879 – April 1880

J. B. Chase, July 1880 – April 1884

Chas. Bissell, 1884 – 1883
W. A. Evans, 1885 – 1888

W. L. Ferris, July 1889 – April 1902

H. D. Hunter, October 1902 – March 1905

R. W. Purdue, September 1905 – September 1906

E. S. Carr, January 1907 – October 1909

W. L. Holly, June 1910 – March 1912

C. D. Moore, December 1912 –

At the time of the writing in 1913, the church had a membership of between two and three hundred.

(Source: for above information: History of Cherokee County, Iowa, by Thomas McCulla, 1915
)

Excerpts from an 1892 Church Historical Sketch

In the fall of 1873, having tired of holding services in all sorts of places, it was deemed best to build a house of worship of their own. So, a frame edifice, 34-50 feet, was built, at an expense of almost $4,000. This was dedicated March 22, 1874 by Rev. John Morley, of Sioux City, assisted by Rev. D. D. Frost, of LeMars, and Rev. W. L. Colman, of Spencer.

Later on, a lecture room was added and other improvements made, making the total cost of the present church and its furnishings about $6,000. The building still stands and is well preserved. It is indeed a monument to the faith and good works of a devoted Christian people, who are steadily aiding in the work of bettering man’s condition. The design of this church edifice is unique and somewhat attractive, having
beautifully stained windows, some of which are emblematic and memorial of those gone to the “church triumphant.” It is heated by furnace and nicely seated and carpeted. A bell weighing 1,300 pounds was placed in the belfry in Nov 1881. The church has a capacity for seating about 500 people.

In 1892, the membership was 231.  the officers were as follows: Pastor, Rev. W. L. Ferris; Clerk, F. E. Whitmore. Treasurer D. A. Wakefield. Finance committee, Mrs. A. B. Wakefield and F. E. Whitmore. Trustees, J. A. Risley, R. H. Scribner and J. H. Burlingame; Deacons, J P Dickey, J. A. Risley and L. S. Ferris. Ushers, O. C. Bechmann and John Chapman; Choir Leader, Mrs. R. A. Lewis; Organist, Mrs. O. C. Bechmann.
The society purchased a parsonage in July 1889.

A successful Sunday school was always fostered by the church. The auxiliary societies to this church were: Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor, Junior Society of Christian Endeavor. Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society. Ladies Aid Society. Ladies Home Missionary Society. (Source: Excerpts from The Cherokee Weekly Times, Frid, Aug 19, 1892, pg. 1.)

DEDICATED TO THE SERVICE OF GOD
No Finer House of Worship in the Northwest Part of the State

OPENING OF CHEROKEE’S MAGNIFICENT CHURCH
It was Dedicated Free of Debt On Sunday – Some Interesting Church History

DEDICATORY SERVICES
Probably the First Church of its Kind in Iowa Free of Debt

Last Sunday was a great day for the Congregationalist of Cherokee. It was in fact, a day to be remembered by all the people of Cherokee because the sinners and the saints of the town – the people who go to church and the people who do not go are one when it comes to anything in the shape of public improvements. We are all proud of our public buildings and our town full of splendid homes. And the addition of the magnificent new Congregational church is a thing to be proud of. It is indeed a beauty, within and without, and a credit to the community. And, best of all, it was dedicated on last Sunday, free of debt. As we understand it, there was money to pay every dollar before the church doors were opened.

Long before the hour for the beginning the services of the morning the edifice was crowded with an expectant throng. Aisles and side rooms were packed. The other churches gave up their services and united with the Congregationalists, the ministers occupying the pulpit platform, together with President Chas. A. Blanchard, Rev. Parsons of Primghar and Rev. Johnston of Oto. The singing of the Congregational choir was very fine. Their music had been carefully prepared and the work of the singers added much to the interest and pleasure of the occasion. Professor Storm’s solo was appreciated by the large audience as were the anthems, in which the voices so beautifully blended.

The scriptures were read by Rev. Southwell of this city, and Rev. Thompson led in prayer. Rev. Jas. Parsons asked for a thank offering. The pastor of the church then read a historical sketch of the church since its organization. The sermon was preached by President Charles A. Blanchard of Wheaton college. It was in every way, a masterpiece. President Blanchard is, without doubt, one of the strongest men in the pulpit of the west. His theme was, “The True Glory of the Church.” It was masterly setting forth of the things which go to make up an influential church in a community. It had an influence for good on all who had the privilege of hearing the message. The dedicatory prayer was then made by Rev. James Parsons of Primghar, and the morning service was brought to a close. Rev. Johnston pronouncing the benediction.

In the evening, the house was again comfortably filled, though there was a heavy snow falling at the time. The services were of unusual interest, the music being of a high order. Solos by Mrs. Roy Dickey and Mrs. John Chapman, and the duet by Mr. Maynard and Mrs. Chapman were features deserving of special mention. The addresses were able and thoughtful. Rev. Helms of Washta spoke on “the New Church and New Responsibilities.” Rev. Parsons spoke on “The Church in the Community.” His address was earnest and very practical, and was well received by the audience. President Blanchard, who preached in the morning, then addressed the congregation, his remarks being of a congratulatory nature. His remarks were humorous at times and at time pathetic aand eloquent. The choir sang an anthem and Rev. Helms led the people in an earnest prayer, and the audience disperse feeling that it had been an auspicious day indeed for the Congregationalist of this city.

HISTORICAL SKETCH
 - Given at the Dedicatory Services by Rev. Dr. Ferris -

I am asked to say a few words regarding the history of the Congregational church of this city. I shall endeavor to condense what I have to say, and occupy as little time as possible in so doing.

Rev. J. R. Upton is the first Congregational minister who is known to have visited this county. He began work here in the year 1860.  On June 12, 1870, the church was organized in the old court house and the following eight persons constituted the charter membership: Calvin Bushnell, Mrs. Mary Mushnell, Mrs. E. E. Kellogg, R. L. Cleaves, Henry Bushnell, Mrs. Sophia Bushnell, Jas. A. Henderson, Mrs. Angelina Henderson. The following Sunday, four more united. Calvin Bushnell was the first deacon elected. Rev. Wm. Rose was commissioned by the home missionary society to take charge of the new work. He remained with the people for five and a half years, during which time the old church was erected. On the 22nd day of March, 1874, the church was dedicated to the service of God. In 1876, Rev. Fayette Hurd was called to pastorate and remained two and a half years. He was followed by Rev. Cooley, who served the church with acceptance for the next three years. Rev. Scott was the next pastor, being followed in 1880 by Rev. Chase, now at the head of Hull academy. He remained with the church as a most efficient worker in the Lor’s vineyard for between five and six years. Rev. Charles Bissell was the next pastor. He was with the church a little more than a year and was succeeded by Rev. W. A. Evans, who was pastor until the latter part of 1888. In July, 1889, the present pastorate began. On June 12 of the year 1895, the church observed its quarter-centennial, it being exactly twenty-five years from the organization of the church in 1870. It was a very interesting and impressive occasion.

About a year ago, some of the friends began to “agitate” the question of the erection of a new church edifice, and in May we began the work of canvassing for the means whereby this desired end might be accomplished.  The church secured the services of James R. Taggart of Minneapolis, as architect, who drew the plans and specifications, which proved exceedingly satisfactory. He also placed a bid for the erection of the church and secured the contract. The building, in which we are this day gathered, speaks as to the wisdom of our choice. From the lowest foundation stone to the highest pinnacle, the work has been done on honor. The building committee and the workmen, and all who have had anything to do with the building, have learned to love him for his quiet, gentlemanly and Christian bearing while in our midst. We take pleasure in bearing this unsolicited testimony regarding the architect and contractor of this building.

The work done by our local workmen speaks for itself, for most of the work has been done by those who are connected with this church. We take pleasure in speaking of the work that has been done by the ladies of the church. They have been faithful in labors abundant. They assumed from the first, responsibilities, and took a deep interest in the project of building the new edifice. The building committee were faithful in their work. It would be unwise for me at this time to discriminate, but the loyalty, persistent, sacrificing efforts put forth by some of the men and women in connection with this work are known by all, and these same earnest efforts have made success possible. May God reward them. The response to the application for funds to carry on the work has been willing and hearty. We desire at this time to thank, not only the members of our own congregation, who have given so generously, but all outside our regular church and congregation, who have given of their means to assist in this good work God has seen fit to bless us in this enterprise and it is for us to be humble and true, it is for us to give God the glory. The Lord hath done great things for us whereof we are glad. And may he grant us strength and grace to come up to the measure of our responsibilities and opportunity.

(One item the pastor forgot in his historical sketch is the fact that Mrs. R. A. Lewis has been a member of the choir for more than twenty-five years. We think it is twenty-seven years since her first service was given. As “the other fellow” said, we don’t want to spoil a story for relations sake. In all these years there have been few Sundays when the rich and powerful voice of Mrs. R. A. Lewis has not been heard in the old church. We know it has been enjoyed by thousands and perhaps – well, we know, it has helped some people to be better. In this respect, N. T. Burroughs should also be mentioned, being one of the first and an almost continuous member – EDITOR.)



click image to enlarge

THE NEW FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

This new pride of the Congregationalists of Cherokee, dedicated on Sunday last, is complete in every detail. Whatever is new and modern in a church home will be found in this edifice. Chas. M. Maynard, the active member of the building committee, tells us that the entire cost, including carpets and five years insurance is $16,000. The audience room is 52 feet square and the seating capacity is about 400.  A careful estimate of the number of people in the church on Sunday places it at 1200, and the rooms are so arranged and the acoustic properties so perfect that everyone could hear distinctly every word that was spoken on the pulpit platform. The lecture room is 30x32 feet, from nearly every part of which the pulpit can be seen. Dropping doors divide the twelve apartments. There is a ladies parlor 13x22 feet a cozy pastor’s study, a nursery or mother’s room and closets galore. In the basement is the Sunday school room, large, airy and well lighted. A portion of this is divided off by poles and curtains and there are various rooms for classes. There is also a large dining room, about 25x32 feet, a good sized kitchen, two furnace rooms, fuel room, closets and everything to make it convenient for both devotional and social events. Whether you are a church goer or not it will do you good to inspect this magnificent church home and see how much the Congregationalist got for their money.


(Source: The Cherokee Democrat Semi-Weekly, Tues, Feb 27, 1900, pg. 1)

(Coordinators note: It could be that this church was disbanded about 1940 due to lack of membership.If you have information about its status, please let me know. Thank you!)



Reverend Walter L. Ferris

Link to Biographical Sketch

Reverend Norman Lambly

Link to Obituary




Return to Church Index

Return to Home Page

Page created 29 Dec 2025