USGenWeb Cherokee County IAGenWeb
IAGenWeb



Town of Meriden



 
Meriden  The town of Meriden was first platted under the name of Hazard, by J. I. Blair, railroad builder, in December, 1870, and in 1889 the population had reached 300. It is said that Mr. Blair was unpopular with the people and that the name hazard was too suggestive of trouble so the inhabitants petitioned the department at Washington to rename the town and the Illinois Central was asked to change the name to Meriden, and no doubt it was a “merry-den” in days of past when there were many young people and life was not as strenuous as at the present time, in the good old days of spelling bees, quilting bees, school exhibitions, sleighing, coasting and skating parties, and family select square dancing parties.

Meriden, being the nearest town in the county to the county seat has suffered consequently in business enterprises and correspondingly in population.

Territory is Reduced

Since the removal the past year of several pieces of farm land which were within the corporate limits, the town of Meriden is left with a population of 188, these including seven bachelors, four widowers and eight widows.

Pioneer Business

The first store in Meriden was started by Smith & Griffith in 1869, which was known as a wet grocery. Later the citizens emptied out the damp goods and F. K. Prescott bought the grocery stock for $80. Mr. Prescott later added merchandise to his stock and in 1873 was joined by his father, G. W. Prescott. Later F. K. Prescott went out of the business and the firm was known as Prescott and Upton.

The first grain buyers were F. K. Prescott and Co., who also became the first lumber dealers.

The first hotel called the Earl house and built by Hiram Reynolds for $1500 was a part of the building now occupied by A. L. Waldron as a residence.
Mrs. Mary Williams, still living in Meriden, was the latest one to use the building as a hotel. The next hotel built by A. H. Albee in 1882, was operated until 1889.
Mr. Albee was the father of Mrs. Terryberry of Cherokee. The A. M. Buswell family now use the building as a residence.

C. Boles was the first furniture dealer in 1881.

The first exclusive hardware store was conducted by N. C. Buswell, father of A. M. Buswell, our present merchant. A. M. Buswell, we believe is the only one of the pioneers, born within the city limits, who has held continuous residence and is still in business in Meriden.

The first harness shop was run by P. H. Weintz in 1884. Mr. Weintz, who has removed to another state, was renewing acquaintances in Meriden not long ago.
Lon Fuller, our present townsman, and John Dull, uncle of Emery Dull, handled the first farm machinery in Meriden, in 1885.

J. B. Ingels opened the first drug store in 1879. Patrick Tobin, who in 1874 was Meriden’s first village blacksmith was still wielding the sledge in the nineties.
In 1878, a steam-burr flouring mill was built by a joint stock company, but later fell into the hands of Upton and Wilcox, but lay idle for many years. About 17 or 18 years ago it was moved to the corner of Cedar and Second streets and was built over into the M. W. A. hall.

Mrs. Charley White was Meriden’s first milliner and Mrs. A. L. Waldron was the latest Meriden milliner.

The Cherokee County State bank was organized in 1886 by Hills and Striker, a brick building being erected for the purpose a nd which was torn down about 1920 and the present building, which would do credit to a much larger town, was erected. The present cashier is L. A. Ferrin and L. H. Sangwin is president.

Meriden’s first newspaper, The Ledger, was started in 1882, lasted one year and afterward became the Journal, which was last edited by F. Lane, who to make ends meet started a shoe and harness repairing shop in the same building, but the newspaper finally blinked out.

Present Business

Meriden’s present business lines are as follows: R. C. Wixon, implements and hardware; A. M. Buswell, general merchandise; Roy Lamont, drugs and confectionery; Enockson’s Grocery and meats, L. A. Enockson having bought out the Floyd Dailey store a year ago; Ronald Rice, barber shop; Edward DeMars, pool hall and barber shop; Cherokee County State bank; Emil Nesiba, blacksmith; Farmers’ Cooperative Elevator, Mark Johnson, manager; Quaker Oats Co. elevator, W. H. Runnings, manager; Albert Hurd, hog buyer; Hanford’s cream station, W. H. Lamont, manager; J. E. Wiese Lumber Co.; Dahlgren’s garage; Chas. Lochner, who buys eggs, cream and chickens; Walter Wiese, farm machinery; Everhart’s dining hall; Lochner’s restaurant. Elias Ingersoll, now retired because of failing health, was for many years in the cement and masonry business.

Meriden physicians have been Dr. J. B. Ingels, who commenced his practice in 1883; Dr. C. F. Quinn, now of Cherokee, who began practice in Meriden in 1894, remaining until January 1913, when he removed to Cherokee; Dr. Geo. A. Mauer, who came in 1913, removing to LeMars in February, 1926; thus leaving Meriden without a resident doctor.

No Bad Fires

Meriden is lighted by electricity installed in 1920. There have never been any disastrous fires in the business section, although one was threatened when the Wiese Lumber company’s coal sheds burned in 1922. (Source: The Cherokee Chief, published in Cherokee, IA, Monday, Sept 5, 1927)

Source: The Cherokee Chief published in Cherokee, IA, Mon, Sep 5, 1927







Return to History Index

Return to Home Page


Meriden was first named HAZARD
 in December 1870


The town's name changed to Meriden in 1874

It became incorporated in 1882

Meriden is in
 Sheridan Township





Meriden Mayors

N. C. Buswell
George Cline
James Taitt
C. White
P. H. Weintz
G. W. Prescott
C. F. Quinn
D. W. Christy
L. H. Munson
W. H. Runnings
J. E. Wiese
E. L. Francois
L. Wixon
A. B. Knox
Floyd Dailey
W. H. Arrasmith.


Meridan...Fills need as a Railroad Town



Meriden Postmasters




Meriden Schools



History of Meriden Schools

Meriden High School Class of 1923

Meridan High School Class of 1940 Reunion




Meriden Churches
Past & Present


Methodist Church


Presbyterian Church


The Christian Church

Evangelical Free Church


Swedish Baptist Church