Larrabee
situated one mile east of the center of Cedar township, was platted
November 25, 1887, by A. H. Meservey and J. P. B. Primrose (“Alphabet”
Primrose), and is on the homestead of William Jordan, who later in the
same year, December 28, was made the town’s first postmaster. The first
office was in Mr. Jordan’s residence and later was moved into a corner
of Eddy Bros. store.
The first stock of goods was put in by W.
E. Libby and his sisters and was in their home. Later F. M. Ogle put in
a stock of groceries, selling out to H. L. Carnahan. Named After Governor
The
land on which the Presbyterian church is built, was deeded to the
church by William Jordan, as was also the land for the schoolhouse.
Gov. Larrabee, for whom the town was named, donated $100 towards the
purchase of the bell which was hung in the Presbyterian church steeple.
Postmasters
have been H. H. Carnahan, who was succeeded by his son, H. L. Carnahan,
now a resident of Cherokee, and at the present time H. Hocken is
presiding.
Business Development
A
grain elevator, erected in the fall of 1887, by Thomas Caswell, was the
first attempt at business in Larrabee. Mr. Caswell later sold to E.. L.
Ballou, who in turn sold to Weart and Lysaght. L. J. Button of Sheldon
operated a second elevator for some years, but both elevators are now
owned and operated by the Farmers Elevator company.
In April,
1888, Eddy Bros. put in general merchandise, O. W. Blanchard a stock of
hardware, and William Gifford handled agricultural implements and
conducted a hotel.
M. A. Stanford bought stock during the winter of 1887.
The first “village” blacksmith, ,1887, was William Dowd, later selling to A. Rolow, and opened a meat market.
Fire Disasters
Larrabee
has been unfortunate in regard to fire. The M. E. church has been
destroyed by fire twice. The Eddy Bros. store burned, and in October,
1925, the drug store, E. W. Meyers store and the I.O.O.F. hall were
burned. Then May 5, 1926, five buildings, Weimer’s meat market, the
City café, John Thompson’s office, a blacksmith shop and a garage were
burned and only a fierce struggle with the flames saved the whole
northeast section of the town.
One of the most tragic happenings
in the history of the town was the death by fire of Thomas Miller, who
was burned to death in the Thomas Jacobson store building. No one ever
knew how the fire star ted but it is generally supposed by the
overturning of a lamp. Mr. Miller was a blazing torch when first seen
by anyone. The contents of the building were not harmed.
Larrabee Had Newspapers
Larrabee
has had two newspapers in the past, the Larrabee Free Trader, a small
paper published for a short time in 1888, Thomas Caswell, editor, was
printed in The Democrat plant at Cherokee. The first edition of the
Larrabee Review, Charles Harris editor, is dated January 24, 1896. This
paper continued to flourish for a number of years and was finally
dropped sometime in 1906.
The first physician to practice in the
locality was Dr. E. W. Parker, who resided on his homestead in Spring
township. When the town of Larrabee was established Dr. McClain was the
first physician to locate. Others following, Dr. A. H. Eddy, Drs. E. H.
and H. L. Adams, Dr. F. A. Burrows and Dr. O. T. Jacobs.
(Source: The Cherokee Chief, Cherokee, IA, Mon, Sep 5, 1927, pg. 14)
History of Larrabee as told in the 1926 Issue of Cherokee County Information Book and Early History publication
| Nine
miles north of Cherokee lies the town of Larrabee, located on the
Illinois Central. The place was platted November 25, 1887, by A. H.
Meservey and J. P. B. Primrose. The first business place erected in
Larrabee was that of a grain elevator built by Thomas Caswell in
the fall of 1887. The capacity of the elevator was 8,000 bushels. F. M.
Ogle was the first dealer in groceries. The first general stock of
merchandise was placed on sale by Eddy Brothers in April, 1888. Wm.
Dawd operated a blacksmith shop in 1887 and soon after sold to A.
Bolow. Mr. Dawd then opened the first meat market in town. Larrabee has
maintained a high place among the towns of the county as a community
center. A consolidated school house, which was built in 1919 at a cost
of 4100,000, provides excellent quarters for both the school and
entertainments of the community. Larrabee suffered greatly from fire
loss on October 23, 1921. Fire which started in the Ed Meyers
general store, its cause being unknown, and had such a start that it
was difficult to overcome. The general store, a drug store, and the Odd
Fellows hall were completely destroyed. The loss estimated at more than
$20,000. Another fire on May 5, 1926, also done much damage. One entire
side of the street in the business district was destroyed. Six
buildings burned by a blaze started from the roof of the building in
which Railroad Agent Shoemaker conducted a restaurant. It consumed that
structure, the vacant blacksmith shop and garage, John Thompson's small
office building and Joseph Weimer's grocery, meat market and ice house.
Larrabee is without fire protection except that afforded by a small
chemical engine. |
|
|
Larrabee is in Cedar Township
Larrabee was named after Iowa's 13th Governor Wlm. Larrabee who served from 1886 - 1890
|
Larrabee Postmasters
The first postmaster was Wm. Goden

The
Larrabee Post Office was established Dec 28, 1887. The office was in
Wm. Goden's residence until April 1889 when he moved it into part of
the store occupied by Eddy Brothers.
|
Larrabee Railroad Depot

|
|