USGenWeb Cherokee County IAGenWeb
IAGenWeb


Village of Aurelia



Source: Noble Collection, U of I Digital Collection

Railroad Station, Aurelia, IA


November 29,  1909

 
Aurelia in 1878 The village of Aurelia is located nine miles east of the Sioux River, near a branch of the Maple, occupying a cheery site in the Maple Valley. The population of the adjoining township is more dense than elsewhere in the county. The farms are in a high state of cultivation and the face of the county wears the aspect of an old settlement, as compared with the west side of the county. The cause of this part of the county settling before the west is due to the fact that the townships of Pitcher and Afton had a great deal of land taken under the homestead law while the west part around Marcus was held almost solely by the railway company and by speculators. The homesteads being settled on naturally facilitated the sale of the railroad land adjoining, and thus these townships have become largely absorbed.

Aurelia is a lively, bustling little town. It has this fiscal year shipped about 200 cars of wheat, and very considerable consignments of live stock. The crops of the Maple Valley were luxuriant in 1877, the corn yield being altogether unprecedented. There trade has been very lively; and business received an impulse that will make 1877 a memorable year in the history of the village. The population will aggregate about 200, composted very largely of the business class. Aurelia is noted for her elevators, having three very substantial and commodious ones. R. R. Whitney, the pioneer of the place, has an elevator that can store away 18,000 bushels. The Miller Brothers have the first elevator built in the village, and Alex Frazer has a neat little gem of a building, run by improved machinery. The lumber business is represented by two yards, the pioneer one being that of the Miller Bros. and the other of T. W. D. Orswell, both well supplied. It contains a number of find business houses: dry goods, grocery, clothing, hardware, boots and shoes, shoe making shops, harness shops, etc. The post master J. W. Miller, has a large well furnished store. Mr. Enright has a large stock of drugs, Mr. Hinkle represents the clothing business. Mr. Orswell carries on an extensive building establishment, Harker & Whorton have a well selected stock of goods; the Marsh House is a popular resort for travelers and Ruden & Kenyon have facilities for adjusting the human barometer. The town has a harness shop, shoe shop, livery stable, blacksmith shop, and other business places. The health of the town is in charge of Dr. Quirk, and is in good hands. The people are enterprising, intelligent and refined. The lumber and coal trade is heavy; of the latter the Miller Bros. have a large share. It has a good school house, and three church organizations, viz: Dunkard, Methodist and Lutheran.

Source: History of Cherokee County published by Cherokee County Historical Society. ( Their source: Cherokee Times, January 1878) 


click image to enlarge

Originally, the town of Aurelia, like most of the towns built up in the seventies, along the Illinois Central lines west from Webster City, was of frame structures. These buildings in a dry season of the year were playthings for the angry flames that soon devoured them. One of the first large conflagrations here was that of April 21, 1883 at 1 o’clock in the morning. It originated in the basement of a drug store and swept many business houses on Main street. It was generally thought at the time of this fire that it was set to secure a $7,000 insurance on the property, which was really on a $3,000 stock of goods. The company settled with the owner for $1,500 and he soon left the country. The total loss by reason of this sweeping fire was about ninety-seven thousand dollars, and the insurance companies paid out 440,000 to the property owners.
The next spring, in March, another fire originated in the basement of the Frisbie building at about the same time in the night that the 1883 fire originated. This fire destroyed $20,000 worth of business property and crippled the interests of the business men for some time.
It may be of interest to those living in Aurelia today to know who conducted the various lines of business nearly a quarter of a century ago, hence the following list was compiled during the year 1889.

Grain dealers – R.R. Whitney, M.N. Dayton, J. C. Green, Dickey & Co. and the Farmers Stock Company.Stock Dealers – Whitney, Green and Alex Fraser
Lumber Dealers – Wisconsin Lumber Company, J. P. Dickey & Co.General Dealers – D. G. Tonges, Hibble & Parker, H. H. Luehrs, J. P. Malison
Hardware – Henry Bolte, William Natrass, C. S. PhelpsAgricultural implements – Felix O’Neal, J. H. Luehrs
Groceries – George Wharton, William DiceFurniture – Coddingham & Grew
Hotel – “Hotel Green” Green & Woodstock, proprietorsDrugs – B. R. Olds, Miller & Merrill
Millinery – Mrs. McMillen and Miss Coddingham; also Ellis SistersHarness Good – C. R. Kleeberger, Samuel St. John
Boots & Shoes – Henry Bischel, S. ChristiansenWagon Shop – D. J. Stockberger, Andy Yeager
Blacksmiths – Stockberger and Martin Colby and Connor
Physicians – Dr. W. F. Myers, Dr. Milo Avery
Attorneys – W. O. StrikerJewelry – G. W. Newcomb
Meat Markets – Herrick & Lindsay, John MiddletonNewspaper – the Aurelia Sentinel
(Source: History of Cherokee by Thos. McCulla 1915)


Main Street Aurelia - Looking South
(click image to enlarge)

More About Aurelia

Aurelia in Pitcher Township is a pleasant place. All through the year it has a sunny, open-to-new ideas look. Its people are active, and amiable. The streets are wide and smooth and the buildings substantial. The town, with its 700 people, lies 50 miles northeast of Sioux City on State Highway 5, and nine miles east of Cherokee.

Aurelia was named for a daughter of John I. Blair who promoted the railroads through the vicinity, established towns, and made money selling town lots, as fast as a new town had been laid out. He is said to have been an eccentric and a millionaire and was not very well liked. He came from Blairstown, New Jersey, and seems to have named several of the railroad towns of northwest Iowa.

The town serves an agricultural community and has developed accordingly. Public utilities include the Peoples Telephone Company, Western Union, American Railway Express, and Electric light plant and the waterworks.

The Aurelia consolidated school extends its influence over a wide area. The standard of education is high, students in dramatics, especially, making outstanding records in state and district contests. The average enrollment is 350 students.
(Source:  Compiled and written by The Iowa Writers’ Program of the Works Projects Administration For the State of Iowa.  1940)
Aurelia is in
Pitcher Township


The town was platted on
15 Feb 1873


Aurelia was incorporated as a town in 1880




click image to enlarge

World War I

Aurelia Men
 Answer The Call



115 men enlisted in the World War from the Aurelia community, 7 of whom lost their lives.

Early Day Recollections
by
Mrs. Dawson


Postmasters




Aurelia Schools



1887 School Report

Graduating Classes 1917 - 1923

Class of 1919 Photo


Town of Aurelia Cemeteries

St. Paul Lutheran Church Cemetery

Past & Present Aurelia Churches


Aurelia Congregational Church

Congregational United Church of Aurelia
St. Paul's German Lutheran Church
Aureila Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
Scandinavian Lutheran Church
Swedish Lutheran Church


Farmers Elevator
(click image to enlarge)



Aurelia Bandstand - 1987
(click image to enlarge)
Source: Library of Congress; Photo credit John Margolies


Return to History Index

Return to Home Page