USGenWeb Cherokee County, Iowa
IAGenWeb

Cherokee County Biographies

Orange Scott Wight

O.S. WIGHT, PIONEER

Orange Scott Wight was born September 16, 1828 in Milan, New Hampshire. When he was five years old, his parents moved to New York state. In 1845, the family moved again, this time to Keokuk County, Iowa. I 1854, in that county, he married Tillitha Osborn. In 1856, the young couple moved to Crawford County, Iowa. In 1857 he was made a leader in the Methodist church and was granted a license to preach.

In 1858 the newly ordained minister immigrated to Cherokee County which then had less than 60 people.
George Brown who was then a mere lad recalled many years later that the arrival of O. S. Wight was an event of importance for the whole county. Wight was a Methodist preacher whose circuit reached from Spirit Lake through Peterson to Cherokee. After the arrival of Wight, for the first time, the settlement was able to have regular religious services. At first, the new preacher held services in homes, but after the building of the courthouse (1863) they were held there.

One of the remarkable things about Mr. Wight was his ability to walk. On the Sundays that church services were held in Cherokee, Mr. Wight held his morning service at ten in the morning in Peterson, then he walked eighteen miles and held the afternoon service at Cherokee at four in the afternoon.

Amelia Parkhurst, one of the Milford colonists, recalled those early days in her later years. She wrote: “Sabbath days we listened to a pious man from a lower settlement. He sometimes came barefooted, sometimes his shoes did not match and stockings as well. We knew he was anxious for our spiritual welfare and gave him due respect.”

In 1859, he was elected superintendent of schools, an elected post he held continuously to 1864 being re-elected annually.

The 1860 census records Orange S . Wight as a 31 year old married male. A man born in New Hampshire who was a farmer. He lived in Pilot Township with his wife Tibitha, aged 31, who was born in Ohio. They had one son, John W. who was 1 year old and had been born in Iowa.

That same year (1860), he was elected County Judge, which then was the chief executive legislative and judicial office in the county. There as yet being no board of supervisors, the county judge had the powers since vested in that body, along with many others. He served simultaneously as County Judge and Superintendent of Schools. In 1861, he was re-elected to the same two offices.

The year 1862 brought formidable Indian outbreaks and most of the inhabitants of the county fled to other and more protected places. In the fall of that year, Carleton Corbett, the county treasurer, returned to the county. He was followed by O.S. Wight, J. A. Brown and Robert Perry, all of whom were accompanied by their families.

In 1862, the office of County Judge was abolished by the state legislature. It was replaced by the Board of Supervisors’ as chief executive and legislative body of the county. Wight served out his term of office as County Judge. He had been elected to the Board of Supervisors as well as County Superintendent of Schools. He was one of two members of the original Board of Supervisors, the other being James Brown.

It is said that during the Civil War he held four county offices at the same time, and filled them all admirably.
In 1864 he was elected Clerk of Courts and in 1865 County Coroner. He does not seem to have held an elective county office after his term as coroner was over in 1866.

When he came to the county in 1858, he and his family settled on Section 16 of Pilot township. In 1865 he took up a homestead on Section 28 of Pilot township. Here lived until 1873. In his home on Section 28, the first post office in Pilot township was begun with Wight as the postmaster. He served as postmaster until the post office was moved to Roger’s Mills, a term that lasted from 5 October 1865 to 15 March 1871.

In 1873, he sold the homestead he had taken up and bought a farm of one hundred and twenty acres where he resided with his wife.
 
When old ae made it difficult for him to continue farming, he moved with his wife to Cherokee and lived in the city until his wife’s death, about 1903.

With the demise of his wife, he went to live with his daughter, Mrs. Sam Shook, where he resided until his death.
Orange S. Wight, early in life devoted himself to the ministry. When he ceased being an active minister and took up farming as a vocation, he maintained his ties to the church. He was one of the trustees of Pilot Rock Church, a Wesleyan Methodist church in Pilot Township. It is said that he preached the first Methodist sermon in the county.
Orange S. Wight died August 7, 1912 in the home of his daughter. He was 84 years old, and had lived in Cherokee county for fifty-four years, being but 30 years old when he immigrated here.

His son, John, did not survive him; his descendants at his death being two daughters, Mrs. Samuel Shook and Mrs. M. S. Draper and a number of grandchildren.

(Source: Former Cherokee County Historical Society Newsletter, Vol 13, Number 3, March 1978, pg. 6)

****
On August 18, 1858, two years after the settlers had arrived in Cherokee County, O. S. Wight, his wife and 18 month old daughter crossed the Little Sioux River on a small ferry boat. With Wight's arrival on the west side of the river, the first chapter of the history of the Methodist Church in Cherokee County could be written.

When Wight was 17 years old, he and his parents left the state of New York and settled in Keokuk County in southeastern Iowa. He was licensed to preach in Crawford County, Iowa on May 30, 1857.

Eleven days after his arrival, Wight preached the first Methodist sermon in Cherokee County. He organized the first Methodist class of six members at a cabin four miles north of Cherokee a few years later. The Wights lived for two years near the town of Cherokee and later took a homestead in Pilot Township where they lived  for many years.

During his circuit-riding years, he had charge of both the Cherokee and Spirit Lake Circuits. These circuits reached from Smithland, which is south of Correctionille, to Larrabee and on to Spirit Lake. This was a total distance of 160 miles. He followed the Little Sioux River, making his rounds by ox team or on foot.

Wight was a civic-minded man who in addition to farming pursued various areas of interest and employment. He was millwright at ----- Mill and the last postmaster of the town of Pilot Rock.

An early history of Cherokee County carries this .... "Mr. Wight has represented his township offices many years as clerk and justice of the ..... was elected county ..... 1868, serving three years and was also a member of the Board of County Supervisors discharging his duties much credit to himself and the best interests of the public. He is a worthy and ... member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has been a zealous worker in cause of his Master, and he won the confidence and esteem of all who know him."  (Source: Former Cherokee County Historical Society scrapbook)

See also...

Obituary for O. S. WightCHEROKEE IN EARLY DAYS 
- REMINESINCES OF AN OLD SETTLER
-

by: Orange S. Wight


Return to Biography Index

Return to Home Page