Kossuth County

Lt. Mary P. Kain

 

Kossuth Nurse Part of North Africa Big General Hospital

First Lieutenant Mary P. Kain, daughter of Mrs. Mary Kain, Plum Creek township, is serving in one of the North African “Medical Centers,” the 46th General Hospital, which has handled more than 6,000 patients since it landed in North Africa in August of 1942, wounded soldiers from the Italian front as well as the sick men from the local areas. Of these patients 30 per cent have been returned to full duty, 28 per cent to limited duty and the balance returned to the United States for further treatment. Although the hospital was designed as a 1750 bed unit, it is claimed they can take in as many sick and wounded as there are tents and beds available. It is one of the largest medical centers in any of the European areas.

Source: Algona Upper Des Moines, June 13, 1944