Johnson County

Capt. Allard & Sgt. Tuffy


Top Sarge Murphy and His C.O.
by Wendell Weed

Life is a series of ups and downs for Sgt. Tuffy Murphy of the U. S. army airforce, recently stationed at Fairbanks, Alaska. His specific assignment is to keep an ever watchful eye on Capt. Winston Allard, former University of Iowa school of journalism instructor and now a personnel and morale officer with the air corps. The two are flying from Alaska to New York, where Allard has been transferred.

It's a dog's life, the sergeant would tell you if he could talk, so you'll just have to take his growl for it. Since he lacks a birth certificate, his ancestry is uncertain.

However, he is a quick, intelligent canine of the terrier type, who doesn't really need the stripes on his old gold sweater to prove his rank and authority.

Tuffy attended a journalism class lecture Thursday morning, but shown no inclination toward becoming a newshound. After making certain that Captain Allard was in no danger, the sergeant yawned and went to sleep.

Living in a civilian world has certain disadvantages for the air corps dog. While in Alaska he developed a one-sided meat diet. On his cross-country trip with Allard he has had to eat a standard dog ration which he doesn't care for too much.

While attending a luncheon Thursday noon in honor of Captain Allard in the home of Prof. and Mrs. Edward F. Mason, 818 North Linn street, the sergeant proved his winning way with women. Before Allard knew it, Tuffy had wandered into the kitchen and used his irresistible charm to wrangle a choice dish of roast beef from the hostess.

The records show that only once has the sergeant neglected the captain's safety. Even then it wasn't his fault, for Allard took a plane flight without the dog. The plane crashed and Allard was in the hospital for six weeks. He is still stiff and the extra 20 pounds he's carrying shows he isn't yet back into his normal swing of activity.

If Tuffy is homesick for Alaska, he doesn't show it, for like a typical soldier, he makes himself at home wherever he is. There is a good chance that he will eventually return to Alaska, for Allard homesteaded a 160-acre claim while stationed there. Already he has erected living quarters on the land, but after the war he must return to live a period of five months to finally own the property.

Mrs. Allard, now attending the University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, plans to move to New York if the captain and the sergeant can find a home there.

Source: Iowa City Press Citizen, Iowa City, Iowa, November 05, 1943