Montgomery County





SS Red Oak Victory Ship

SS Red Oak was named after Red Oak, the little Iowa town which suffered the greatest rate of casualties during World War II. She was launched at the Kaiser Shipyards on November 9, 1944.

SS Red Oak saw service during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. She was the only ship operated by both military and civilian personnel throughout her service.

The ship was decommissioned in 1946 and used by the Luckenbach Steamship Company. From 1966 to 1968 she was operated by the American Mail Lines for military sea transport service, then put out of service in 1968.

SS Red Oak was saved from the scrap heap by a 1996 act of Congress which transferred her ownership to the Richmond Museum of History. Bedecked with colorful flags and buntings, she slowly came to a temporary berth at Ferry Point, Richmond, California on September 20, 1998. The mayor of Red Oak, Iowa, joined 400 other passengers and dignitaries during this voyage. They were met by a brass band, hundreds of well-wishers and veterans.

After she is restored to her former glory, the SS Red Oak will be outfitted as a museum. She is the only ship built by the Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond, California that is being restored.