Kossuth County

S/Sgt. Cecil E. Peterson




New Year’s Day Telegrams Report Becker, Heetland and Koppen Safe and Alive

The year 1942 had a joyful beginning for a number of Kossuth families when telegrams from the government on New Year’s day brought word that two Lakota boys who had been reported killed in action in the Pearl Harbor attack were alive and safe.  They are:

Arnold Becker, 20, ward of Mr. and Mrs. Nick Koppen, previously reported killed in action at Pearl Harbor.

Merle Heetland, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Heetland, regarding whom there had been conflicting reports, although he had once been reported killed in action.

A third telegram advised Mr. and Mrs. Nick Koppen that their son Ferdinand, previously unreported, was alive and O.K.

Thought Becker Dead
As the Koppens had previously received two telegrams regarding Becker, they believed that he must not be alive, and he was reported as being the first Kossuth boy to be killed in action since the U. S.—Japanese war broke out. The boy had been in the Navy two years. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. August Becker have been dead for several years.

Becker has two brothers, Martin and Raymond, also a half-brother, Robert and a sister, Kathryn, all of Lakota. Uncles and Aunts are Mr. and Mrs. Nick Koppen, Mr. and Mrs. P. L. Koppen, Lakota, Mrs. Anna Caylor, Bancroft, and Mr. and Mrs. Martin Becker, Burt.  Rachel Becker of the Advance is a cousin.

Heetland Writes Card
Although Heetland was reported killed in action, his parents believed he was still alive because they received a card from him dated December 9, two days after the Pearl Harbor attack, saying that he was alive and for them not to worry.

Two other Lakota boys, still unreported are:  Cecil Peterson, in the Army, son of former superintendent and Mrs. C. O. Peterson and Harold Joos, in the Navy, son of Mrs. Rose Joos, Buffalo Center.

Source: Algona Upper Des Moines, January 6, 1942

In a letter to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. O. Peterson, Cecil Peterson said he is recovering from an attack of lead poisoning in a hospital at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii. The letter was written late in January.

Source: Algona Upper Des Moines, February 24, 1942

Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Ukena received an invitation last week to the wedding of S. Sgt. Cecil E. Peterson and Gwendolyn Margaret, daughter of Mrs. A. McGlone, Dec. 9, 1943, at St. David’s Presbyterian Church, but no place is give as Cecil is in the armed forces somewhere in the Pacific. He is the oldest son of the late C. O. and Mrs. Peterson and has been in the Navy many years.

Source:  Algona Upper Des Moines, January 11, 1944

Swea City Sergeant Wed In Honolulu

Swea City: Word has reached Swea City that S. Sgt. Cecil Peterson was married Dec. 9, in Honolulu to Miss Gwendolyn McGlone of that place. Cecil is the oldest son of the late Mr. and Mrs. C. O. Peterson. He entered the service in 1941 and has been stationed in the Hawaiian Islands as an Army cook.

Source: The Algona Upper Des Moines, January 25, 1944

Dinner Held For Returned Soldier

Swea-Eagle: Mr. and Mrs. Merton Roalson had 60 guests, relatives and friends, at Sunday dinner, Nov. 12, honoring Sgt. Cecil Peterson here on furlough after five years in the Pacific war theatre.  This was his first trip back. His wife, now in New Zealand, expects to come to the U.S. in the spring. The guests gave him a generous purse of money as a gift.  Among the guests were the sergeant’s brothers and their families, Jakie of Lakota, Wallace of Granada, Minn., and Charles and a sister Lois of Titonka, Ole Roalsons, J. P. Petersons, Art E. Andersons, Emil O’Greens, Andrew Larsons, Mrs. Rose Mitchell and Mrs. Christina Swanson and daughter, Joanne.

Source:  Algona Upper Des Moines, November 21, 1944