Plymouth County

S/Sgt Joe Horkey





Remsen Bell-Enterprise:  For the second time Mr. and Mrs. Ferd Horkey and children have received disheartening news from their son and brother, S/Sgt. Joe Horkey, one of the original Company K men, saying he has been severely wounded in overseas battle action.

The first time was in April, 1943, when he was shot in the left foot while taking a Remsen buddy, Vincent Wilberding, to a hospital after the latter was wounded. This occurred on Hill 609 in Africa, where the Remsen boys took part in the entire campaign.

This time comes word from Italy in the form of a letter from another Remsen boy, Cpl. Orville Raveling. Orville writes under date of July 8, saying he visited Joe in the hospital for a short time and that the latter asked him to write his parents.

Cpl. Raveling writes: "Joe is a very sick boy but is in a safe place now. He will not be able to write to you for some time as his wounds are in his arms below the elbows, but they are not serious and he asks you not to worry."

Source: LeMars Sentinel, July 21, 1944

Our Neighbors in the Service


Mr. and Mrs. Ferd Horkey have received word that their son, S. Sgt. Joe Horkey, has been wounded in Italy. This is the second time he has been wounded. The first time was when he was shot in the left foot, while taking a Remsen buddy, Vincent Wilberding, to a hospital after the latter was wounded.

Source: The Sioux City Journal, July 26, 1944


The wars end

In recognition of its continual engagement in the major battles on the African continent and in Italy, the allied headquarters made provisions to make certain that the 34th Division would be one of the first returned to the States.

On July 16, 1945, 1st Sgt. Lew Treinen was erroneously credited with being the last man of Co. K. to return home. He was discharged July 10 with 118 points to his credit.

He had been engaged in battles in Tunisia, Rome, Foggia, Anzio, North Appennine and the Po Valley.

He reached home wearing his uniform decorated with the Middle East ribbon and five battle stars, the good conduct medal, American defense ribbon and the combat infantryman’s badge.

Then on Aug. 6, 1945, T-Sgt. Joe Horkey returned home.

The bodies of those killed in action would not be returned to Plymouth County for three more years. ~by Virgil Dorweiler

Source: LeMars Daily Sentinel, February 12, 1962