Dickinson County

Lt. Edward H. Stauffer


Our Men and Women In Uniform

Milford friends received word Saturday from Capt. and Mrs. Wayne C. Stauffer that their son, Edward, was missing in action. He was a lieutenant in the U. S. marine corps, stationed on the Indianapolis, which was sunk by Japanese torpedoes. Little or no hope was entertained that he might be alive. Edward, who was 24 years old, was well known among the younger set in Milford as he was a popular student when the family resided here when his father was pastor of the Federated church. Capt. Stauffer is a chaplain in the army, stationed at Kelly Field, Texas, where he and Mrs. Stauffer reside. The daughter, Lila Lee, is a cadet nurse at the Methodist hospital in Sioux City and will graduate Sept. 10 this year. Two other sons are in service: Leland, a lieutenant in the medical corps, stationed in this country, and Glen, taking specialized training at Austin, Texas.

Source: The Milford Mail, Milford, Iowa, Thursday, August 23, 1945, Page 1

Lt. Edward Stauffer Killed in Action July 30th

Word was received in Milford Saturday evening from the government that Lt. Edward H. Stauffer, son of Capt. and Mrs. W. C. Stauffer of San Antonio, Texas, had been killed in action on July 30, 1945. Word had been received earlier that he was missing following the sinking of the Indianapolis.

Edward came to Milford with his parents when he was 11 years old, attended school here where he was popular with schoolmates and teachers. He took an active part in all activities of the school and church. He moved with his parents to Onawa in 1937 and graduated from the high school there. He attended the state University of Iowa and completed the four year liberal arts course in three and one-half years and graduated in February 1942, with the highest scholastic record in the class. He was awarded the Lydia Roberts fellowship to Columbia University to further his education in psychology. Later he resigned the fellowship to enlist in the United States marine corps. It was while awaiting his call to report for training that he last visited in Milford. He reported at Parris Island on Dec. 18, 1942. He attended the officers’ training school at Quantico, Va., where he was commissioned second lieutenant and sailed on the Indianapolis in December, 1943. He was advanced to first lieutenant in October, 1944.

Lt. Stauffer visited his parents at San Antonio in May, 1945, while the Indianapolis was in dry dock on the west coast for repairs after being struck by a Japanese suicide plane. Later his father spent three days with him at the port where his ship was docked. He was with a detachment of marines who had charge of the anti-aircraft on the Indianapolis which was struck by torpedoes from a Japanese submarine and sunk on July 30, 1934, in the Philippine Sea between Guam and Leyte. Lt. Stauffer had taken active part in six major engagements in the Pacific.

His father is a chaplain at W. D. Personnel Center, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas; the older brother, Leland, is a first lieutenant on the staff at ASF Regional hospital, Fort Benning, Ga.; the younger brother, Glenn, is in the navy V-12 ROTC at Austin, Texas; and his sister, Lila Lea, graduated Sept. 10, 1945, from the Methodist school of nursing at Sioux City.

Source: The Milford Mail, Milford, Iowa, Thursday, September 20, 1945, Page 1