Woodbury County

Pvt. Ralph O. Munch



Sioux Cityan One of Seven Survivors Holding Bridgehead
Pvt. Munch Helps Fight Off Germans at Remagen

Pvt. Ralph O. Munch, of Sioux City, was one of seven survivors of an armored infantry platoon which held the Rhine bridgehead for the allies during the critical hours of the Remagen-Erpel crossing March 7, it was disclosed in the March 12 issue of Stars and Stripes.

Pvt. Munch, whose wife and children reside at 1636 W. Palmer street, entered the Army in April, 1944, and went overseas in October. He is the son of Mrs. F. D. Munch, 1633 W. Sixth street.

He was a member of the second platoon of Company A of the 27th Armored infantry which stayed east of the Rhine while the rest of the company pulled back to the western end of the Ludendorff bridge to reorganize after the initial crossing.

Rock Barrage
The bridgehead, christened Flak hill, was a large rock which towers several hundred feet above the eastern side of the Rhine at Erpel. The platoon stayed on the face of Flak hill and clung to crevices while the Germans shot at them and rolled rocks down on them. They were also the object of a Jerry four-gun flak wagon which opened up at them from the opposite side of the river.

Only seven me were uninjured when they were relieved after dark, and Pvt. Munch was one of them.

Sent by Sioux City Man
The last letter Mrs. Munch received from her husband was written February 25 and she was beginning to be very worried, she said. Pvt. Munch received his training at Camp Roberts and Fort Ord, Cal. He was a route salesman for the Chesterman company before he entered the service and at one time he was advertising manager for the company.

The issue of the Stars and Stripes which contained this story was sent to The Journal-Tribune by Capt. D. M. Renfro, who formerly lived at 4514 Manor circle.

Source: The Sioux City Journal, March 19, 1945