Sioux County


M/Sgt. Lawrence H. Miller


Master Sgt. Miller left for overseas last October. He was a mechanic serving with the Field Artillery in the 99th Division with Lt. Gen. Courtney Hodges, First Army. Since his duties did not take him to the front, it is possible that the huge German push which began the very day he was reported missing, moved so fast that he may not have been able to escape capture—or escaping became lost from his outfit, and has not to this time been able to get back.

He has been in the service four years, leaving October 16 before the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. He was stationed at Camp Maxey, Tex., up to the time he went overseas.

On March 6, 1944, he was married to the former Bertha VandeVegte, and he has a baby daughter he has not yet seen. She will be three months old February 5, and is named Lorna Jane. Mrs. Miller sent pictures of herself and the baby at Christmas time but Sgt. Miller was already missing in action then.

The Bee
joins his family and many friends here in the prayer that he will be found unharmed.

Sgt. Miller is 33 years old. He attended the Rock Valley schools.

Source: Rock Valley Bee, Friday, January 26, 1945

Mrs. Lawrence Miller received a telegram Thursday evening informing here that her husband, M/Sgt. Lawrence Miller, is now a prisoner of war. He was missing in action in Belgium since December 17. He has been in the Army since October, 1941, and is a mechanic.

Source: Sioux County Capital, March 8, 1945

Our Neighbors in Service.

Rock Valley, Ia.—Word was received by his wife that M. Sgt. Lawrence H. Miller is now a prisoner of war.  She had received word January 12 that he was missing in action in Belgium, December 17.  He was a mechanic serving with the field artillery in the 99th division of the First army.  His duties did not take him to the front, but it is thought the German push of that day was too quick for his group.  He has been in service since October, 1941, and left for overseas duty in October.  He married Miss Bertha Vande Vegte March 6, 1944. They have a daughter, Lorna Jane, whom he has never seen.  He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred A. Miller.

Source: The Sioux City Journal, March 9, 1945

M. Sgt. Lawrence Miller Is Home For Sixty Days

Master Sergeant Lawrence H. Miller arrived here Monday, May 28, for a joyful reunion with his wife and baby daughter, whom he had never seen, after a long term of overseas duty, during which he had become a prisoner of war of the Germans. A month ago he was liberated by the same outfit which he had been with at the time of his capture. He went from Germany to France by plane and from France he came to the United States by ship, landing in Boston. He is home on a sixty-day furlough before reporting to Hot Springs, Arkansas, for reassignment.

Sgt. Miller was captured last December in Belgium, being caught with his outfit in the “Belgium hump,” at that time when the Germans won back a great deal of Belgian territory, trapping American troops. He had been serving as a mechanic with a Field Artillery unit up to that time. He has been in two different German prison camps since.

When they got back, the first thing they got to eat was beef steak, Sgt. Miller said. He thought it was pretty swell to be back home again, and everyone seems to agree that it’s just as grand to have him back. He is the son of Fred A. Miller.

Source: Rock Valley Bee, June 1, 1945

Lawrence Miller, Men from Morrell, Speak to Rotary

M. Sgt. Lawrence Miller, who was a prisoner of war of the Germans for some months, shared the spotlight at the Rotary luncheon Monday, with two gentlemen and a movie from Morrell’s packing plant in Sioux Falls.

Sgt. Miller said that his first experience with his German captors was that they gave him a bowl of soup to eat after he had been a prisoner for ten days. Then, on Christmas, the Germans didn’t give them any water to drink, and the prisoners got as much water as they could from eaves-drippings and melted snow.

He said that there it was a common sight to see a prisoner exchanging a sixty-dollar watch for a piece of bread an inch thick, or fifty dollars for a package of cigarettes. The Germans, Sgt. Miller went on, seemed to have plenty of food, Spam, and canned foods and also American brands of cigarettes. He said he thought that the Germans raided the Red Cross boxes, though they said that these boxes had been destroyed by the air raids.

It was a very short talk, but very interesting to every one of the members. Gerrit DeBruin, owner of the Home Meat Market, was also a guest at this meeting.

Source: Rock Valley Bee, June 22, 1945