Greene County

Sgt. Verl M. Langford



Personnel of Jefferson Company with Boys Now “Missing in Action”

Here is the national guard company which left Jefferson in March, 1941, taken in the Jefferson armory just a few days before starting its trip to Camp Claiborne, La. The company has been in the thick of the battle in Tunisia and reports of “missing in action” have been received this week by many families.

Source: Jefferson Herald, March 11, 1943 (includes photograph of National Guard group)

News Has Come Recently
24 In Germany

Messages from men who have been held prisoners of war by the German government since their capture Feb. 17, 1943, at Faid pass, North Africa, continue to come to their relatives at home. The first came Monday evening, May 14, and each day more are received.

Two other men held prisoners by the Germans, Staff Sgt. Malcolm Bishop of Churdan and Pfc. Alvin Schilling of Jefferson, who were not members of the guard company, also have been liberated.

Yesterday and today, word has come of the liberation of Sgt. Verl M. Langford and Sgt. Jack R. Langford in a Red Cross message to their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Langford: of T-5 Franklin Tate by way of a story in the daily paper this morning: of Cpl. Lyle Leonard by way of a letter last night: of First Sgt. Don Hanson who wrote a letter received this morning.

The usual form of the Red Cross telegram, “Sgt. Verl M. Lanford and Sgt. Jack R. Langford request that their mother, Esther Langford, be notified of their liberation,” was the first word received by Mr. and Mrs. Langford about their sons. It was received late Wednesday afternoon.

The Langfords this afternoon received a letter from their son, Verl, who said that another man who went with the company, Hugh Berry now of Mt. Etna, had also been freed. The letter, written May 11 said they were liberated April 21 by the Russians but he had to remain there until May 7 because there had been some heavy fighting in the area.

He said that both he and Jack were in good health. Jack and Berry left May 1, but he remained in camp for duty with the local organization. They were to leave that day for LeHavre by plane, and he would then meet Jack and Berry, and they would go home for 60-day furloughs. Don Hanson was with him, and they expected to get home together.

Source: Jefferson Herald, May 24, 1945