Pottawattamie County

Pfc. Donald E. Jones



Pvt. and Mrs. Donald E. Jones of Sioux Falls air base are visiting Pvt. Jones’ parents, the Rev. and Mrs. Roy E. Jones of Glendale Acres. Pvt. Jones is a technical instructor and Mrs. Jones is a code instructor at the radio school at the base. They will return to the base about August 10.

Source: The Council Bluffs Nonpareil, Council Bluffs, Monday, May 28, 1945, Page 8


A graduate of the only school of its kind in the army is Pfc. Donald E. Jones, son of the Rev. R. E. Jones and Mrs. Jones of Glendale. Pfc. Jones has successfully completed his six weeks course at the ferrying divisions, advanced radio training unit (Reno, Nevada army air base) where he learned to operate the radio on the C-46, largest two-engine cargo plane in the world. Since theC-46 is world-widely used by the air transport command, Pfc. Jones’ future assignments will probably include radio operation on missions in which the huge transport carries vitally needed supplies to air bases all over the world.

Source: The Council Bluffs Nonpareil, Council Bluffs, Monday, May 28, 1945, Page 8


Donald E. Jones, pfc., radioman aboard an army transport plane was reported missing by the war department on Nov. 27, according to his parents, the Rev. and Mrs. Roy E. Jones. The Rev. Mr. Jones said Wednesday that he had hope that his son was safe in or around Singapore, and that he had been on flights carrying foodstuff for the holidays, that his headquarters were in Calcutta, India, and that his last flight was from Rangoon to Singapore.

Source: The Council Bluffs Nonpareil, Council Bluffs, Wednesday, December 12, 1945, Page

Radio Operator Is Declared Dead

Pfc. Donald E. Jones, 24, son of the Rev. and Mrs. Roy E. Jones, route 4, has officially been declared dead, the war department informed his parents Saturday.

A radio operator aboard a C-47 transport aircraft, he had been missing since Nov. 27, 1945. The other two crew members also were lost.

Maj. Gen. Edward Witsell informed the parents that Pfc. Jones’ ship was lost between Singapore and Butterworth, a city situated on the northwestern coast of the Malay states, about 375 miles from Singapore. The plane was last contacted by radio while in the vicinity of Malacca, Malay states, about 125 miles northwest of Singapore, war department reports revealed. When the plane failed to arrive at Butterworth, an immediate air search was instituted by the Air Transport Command and British aircraft. The search continued for two weeks, but proved fruitless.

Although a death certificate has been issued, Gen. Witsell said a search will still be conducted by the graves registration service unit.

Pfc. Jones’ widow is now residing in Hartford, Conn.

Source: The Council Bluffs Nonpareil, Council Bluffs, Sunday, January 05, 1947, Page 3