Plymouth County

Pfc. Thomas N. Holton




Mr. and Mrs. Nick Holton received a telegram from the War Department yesterday, informing them that their son, Pfc. Thomas N. Holton, is missing after action against the enemy in France, on January 23.

Pfc. Holton, former athlete and swimming instructor, entered the Army August 3, 1943, and was assigned to the infantry. He embarked for the European theater January 3, 1944. He is not married.

Soldiers reported missing in land areas frequently turn up later as prisoners of war, and members of the Holton family hope that they will have good news about Tommy by the time such reports can be made through international channels.

Source: LeMars Globe-Post, 
February 8, 1945


Pfc. Thomas Holton, 26-year-old infantryman, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Nick Holton of LeMars, was reported missing in action as of January 23 in Germany. He formerly resided in Sioux City and was employed by the Cusack laundry.

The soldier entered the service about a year ago and was trained in Maryland and Texas camps. He went overseas about six months ago. For a time he resided at the Jackson hotel.

Source: The Sioux City Journal, February 10, 1945

Pvt. Tom Holton Writes Parents
Had Been Reported Missing Since January

Mr. & Mrs. Nic J. Holton received two letters from their son, Pfc. Tom Holton, the first word they had from him since he was reported on February 7 missing in action since January 23. The letters were written in pencil on V-mail paper but bore neither post mark or censor stamp and gave no indication of where they were mailed. About all the information they conveyed was that he was well but thin and hoped to be home soon. The family have supposed he was a prisoner of war but had no word from the government about him since he was reported missing. They suppose he was a prisoner of war and either escaped or was released by our advancing armies.

Tom enlisted a year and four months ago and went overseas last fall. He was with the Seventh army on the south German front and his letters indicated he was doing reconnaissance intelligence work in advance of the Allied lines.

He said in his letter that if they would read the New York Times of April 4, they would learn what had happened to him.

Source: LeMars Semi-Weekly Sentinel, April 20, 1945