Cerro Gordo County

S/Sgt. Everett E. Hanson





Everett E. Hanson, who is in the armored infantry battalion at Camp Polk, La., has been promoted to staff sergeant at Camp Carson, Colo. He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. O. C. Hanson, 1010 West State, Mason City, and has been in the service since March, 1942.

Source:  The Globe Gazette, Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, Tuesday, April 18, 1944, Page 6

Missing in Action

S/Sgt. Everett E. Hanson has been missing in action in Luxembourg since Dec. 18, according to a telegram received by his wife, who lives at 220 1/2 3rd N. E. S/Sgt. Hanson was a squad leader in the armored infantry and had been overseas since the first part of August. He entered the service in March, 1942.

A brother, Leonard L. Hanson, stationed with the army air force at Marana field, Ariz., is home on furlough at this time. They are the sons of Mr. and Mrs. O. C. Hanson, 1019 West State.

Source: The Globe Gazette, Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, Wednesday, January 24, 1945, Page 5  (photo included)



S. Sgt. Hanson Tells His Experiences

S/Sgt. Everett Hanson, who for 4 months was a prisoner of war in Germany, addressed more than 200 persons at Wesley Methodist church Sunday evening.

Sgt. Hanson stated that he was behind German lines for 10 days before being captured on December 22, 1944. The 1,000 prisoners taken at that time were marched for 2 days, walking about 25 kilometers a day. He described his Christmas dinner, comparing the dry rations issued to dig biscuit. A small sackful of those "dog biscuits" and a tablespoon of molasses constituted the prisoners' Christmas dinner. They slept in barns, shacks, any available vacant building with no protection from the severe cold weather.

Each prisoner was given half a pint of water a day during this time. The matter of food was the prime consideration of all the prisoners. Sometimes they were fed and told to make the ration last until the next occasion; sometimes they were not fed at all but always the food was inadequate.

Prisoners were abused, sometimes shot, for attempting to attain more food and water. Civilians sometimes seemed willing to help, but usually were restrained by fear, the sergeant stated.

The first Stalag was controlled by the British prisoner. The cam seemed to be constructed hastily, a fence was built around the group of buildings, and then the prisoners were left to their own devices inside. The prisoners were moved to another Stalag by being herded into a box car and locked inside for 3 days with no water.

In all Sgt. Hanson’s prison experience, water for drinking was a premium and never for personal use such as shaving, bathing, or washing clothing. When the allies began to approach, the prisoners were marched back and forth across Germany, even passing through one town 4 times in the same day. They were finally liberated by a reconnaissance patrol of the 3rd division, a spearhead of the 3rd army.
Mixed with their joy at liberation was a spirit of thanksgiving, and they all knelt in prayer.

Sgt. Hanson’s normal weight is about 160, and he weighed 118 when he was released after 4 months of imprisonment.
The government discards red tape and returns the prisoners of war to their homes in record time.

Sgt. Hanson is the son of Mr. and Mrs. O. C. Hanson, 1019 West State. He arrived in Mason City on May 17. After a 60-day furlough he will go to Hot Springs, Ark.

Source: The Globe Gazette, Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, June 05, 1945, Page 7


Members of the Zion Lutheran congregation will hold a family night event at the church Sunday evening at 8 o'clock. The Priscilla circle will serve. S/Sgt. Everett Hanson, who was a prisoner of war in Germany 4 months, will tell of his experiences.

Source:  The Globe Gazette, Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, June 12, 1945, Page 4