Woodbury County

Pfc. Paul A. Greig



Private Paul Greig, marine, recently sent word of his safe arrival somewhere in the Pacific.  His wife resides with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Greig, 2469 Boies street.  Previous to his transfer, Private Greig was stationed at Oceanside.

Source: The Sioux City Journal, April 15, 1943

Spirit of Boys Fighting Over There Unbeatable, Says Marine
Pfc. Paul Greig, Home from South Pacific, Saw Much Action

“You can’t beat the spirit of the boys over there!”

And with those words, Pfc. Paul A. Greig, 21-year-old Marine veteran of Guadalcanal and Bougainville, picked up his crutches and hobbled out of The Journal building after renewing acquaintanceships with his former workers in the composing department.

The young marine is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Dan A. Greig, 2469 Boies street. His wife, who makes her home with his parents, is the former Patricia Mae Reilly.

A blouse decked with stars and service bars, and the crutches tell little of Pfc. Greig’s life during two of the war’s major campaigns.  Few persons might know that one bar stands for the presidential citation.  None of the stars is able to show how he was seriously injured when a Japanese gasoline dump exploded, burning his legs so badly he still has not regained their full use.

Fought on Guadalcanal.
After completing his basic training at San Diego, Cal., the Sioux Cityan embarked for foreign shores.  For five months he fought with his buddies on Guadalcanal.  Then in November of 1943 the marines went in on Bougainville.  Two months of fighting, in the front lines most of the time, was his task there.

Then one night, “about the first of the year of 1944,” said Paul, “we began moving up.”  Routing the Jap forces, they neared an enemy gasoline dump.  A stray shell did the rest.  Many of the marines were injured in the explosion.  Paul himself was unconscious for three days.  It was several days more before he was even able to realize what had happened.

The men were removed to a hospital on New Hebrides in the South Pacific.  On July 19, 1944, Paul returned to the United States via clipper and since has been hospitalized in a Navy hospital at Oakland, Cal.  He arrived in Sioux City a week ago and will return to the hospital January 21 for further treatment.

Will Get Discharge.
After his complete recovery the young veteran will receive a medical discharge from the Marine Corps in which he had so faithfully served.

“The Japs are very fanatical fighters,” declared Paul.  “You never know what they are going to do next.” For his and his buddies outstanding work against the Japs on Bougainville, they received the high award of the presidential unit citation.  In addition, Paul wears bars for the American theater of war and the Asiatic-Pacific theater.  Three stars signifying major engagements also are among his awards.

Paul also wears several bars for his accomplishments during Marine basic training.  He owns the sharpshooter medal—he missed the expert rating by two points—and bars for hand grenade, machine gun, small bore and bayonet work.

A native Sioux Cityan, Paul attended Central high school before joining The Journal composing room staff. Shortly before entering the armed forces, he was employed at Albertson’s where he helped in the manufacture of war materials that he himself may have used while serving his country.

“There’s no plans for the future,” he said, “just so I’m back home, that’s all!”

Source: The Sioux City Journal, January 5, 1945 (photos included)