Polk County

Link Ford

 

 

Personnel of Jefferson Company with Boys Now “Missing in Action”

Here is the national guard company which left Jefferson in March, 1941, taken in the Jefferson armory just a few days before starting its trip to Camp Claiborne, La. The company has been in the thick of the battle in Tunisia and reports of “missing in action” have been received this week by many families.

Source: Jefferson Herald, March 11, 1943 (includes photograph of National Guard group)

NEWS COMES FROM FREED PRISONERS 15 MESSAGES ARE RECEIVED FAMILES GET LONG-AWAITED GOOD TIDINGS FROM BOYS IN GERMANY; TEN STILL TO COME

Word continues to come of the liberation of Greene county men who were taken prisoners of war February 17, 1943, in North Africa. These were in the national guard and left Jefferson early in 1941 for training at Camp Claiborne, La., and after being in Ireland, Scotland and England, participated in landings in North Africa.

Thus far, 15 men of the approximate 25 who were taken prisoner, have sent word home either in letters, Red Cross telegrams, personal telegrams, or by word sent through friends.

Indications are that after the invasion of Europe, the men who had been together in prison camps, were separated in moved to other camps. Delay in the messages is attributed to the fact that the camps were largely liberated by the Russians, and communication with the United States has had to wait until the men could get to territory held by the Americans.

Word previously has been received of the liberation of Link Ford, of Des Moines, who was a member of the local company.

Source: Jefferson Bee, May 22, 1945

MORE MESSAGES FROM PRISONERS
News Has Come Recently
24 In Germany


Messages from men who have been held prisoners of war by the German government since their capture Feb. 17, 1943, at Faid pass, North Africa, continue to come to their relatives at home. The first came Monday evening, May 14, and each day more are received.

To date, word has come of the liberation of …….Link Ford, of Des Moines.

Source: Jefferson Herald, May 24, 1945