Sioux County

Sgt. George Embrock




Local Soldier In Battle of Java At Surrender
Is First Soldier from Hawarden to Be Officially Designated as in Action against Enemy

George Embrock was reported “missing in action” by the U. S. War Department in a letter received Wednesday by his mother, Mrs. Frieda Dauberman, here.

He is the first Hawarden soldier to be officially designated as in action against the enemy, and the first to be reported missing.

The letter said he was with the U.S. forces on the island of Java at the time of its capitulation and that his whereabouts since then are unknown.  The letter, signed by Major General J. A. Ulio of the office of the adjutant general in Washington, expressed regret that more information could not be told.

No Information.
Maj. Gen. Ulio said many casualties were suffered in the last days of fighting in Java which had not been reported, but also said that as yet the Japanese government had sent no information to the Swiss government at Geneva concerning the names of prisoners.

The letter went on to say that the Japs had, however, agreed to abide by the Geneva convention regarding the exchange of information about prisoners, so that information might be forthcoming soon.

George, 27 years old, was drafted into the Army May 9, of last year, and went to Camp Roberts, Calif.  He studied cooking there and became a mess sergeant.

Furlough in November.
He came home on a furlough in November of last year, but was recalled to his outfit before his leave was up.  He sailed, presumably for the Philippines, on Nov. 23.  The war broke out, however, while his contingent was on the high seas, and the convoy was re-routed to Australia.

Last word received from him was in March when his wife, Mrs. Velores Conway Embrock, got a letter.  Censorship, however, forbade him even telling her where he was.  In the letter, he promised to phone her long distance, but no call ever was received.

As to when he went to Java, or how long he fought there, none of his family here knows.

George was married but five days before he left for the Army.  His wife now lives with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Orville Conway, southwest of Hawarden.  Before his induction into the Army, he drove a poultry turck for the Tri-State Hatchery.

George’s brother, William Embrock was drafted into the Army last month.

Source:  Hawarden Independent, June 11, 1942

George Embrock Was Held By Japs Three Years
Word of Release is Received Through Red Cross; Is Reported To Be In Excellent Health

Word was received in Hawarden Tuesday afternoon that Mess Sergeant George Embrock, a Jap prisoner of war for more than three years, has been released and is in excellent health.

Word came through the Home Service National Headquarters, Washington, D.C., by telephone to Mrs. J. E. Tilgner, chairman of the home service of the Hawarden Red Cross chapter.

Mrs. Tilgner was asked to contact Embrock’s wife, who at present is employed as a nurse in the Hudson hospital.  In turn, Mrs. Embrock sent a message to her husband through the Red Cross.  It will be sent to Calcutta, Ind., where Mess Sergeant Embrock is stationed and he has undoubtedly received it by now. The Red Cross is anxious to have word from home of a recent date for released prisoners as soon as possible.

Embrock is the only Hawarden service man on record as having recently been a Jap prisoner.  Roger Taylor, another Hawarden boy, was a Jap prisoner, but was released on April 23, 1942.

His mother, Mrs. Frieda Dauberman and sister, Miss Mary Embrock, live in Hawarden.  His two brothers are in the service.  Pfc. Fred Embrock is in Germany and Pfc. William Embrock is in a rest camp in the Philippines after taking part in the Okinawa campaign.  The Red Cross also sent messages to these two men telling of their brother’s safety.

George Embrock entered the service on May 9, 1941. Five days before he went to the Army, he was married to Velores Conway. He came home on a furlough in November, 1941, but was called back to duty when he had been here but five days.  He was on the high seas when the Japs attacked Pearl Harbor.  When he left the United States, his convoy was presumably headed for the Philippines.  War broke out while they were at sea and they were re-routed to Australia.  It was while the convoy was sailing for Java that Embrock was taken prisoner.

Mrs. Embrock received word from the War Department on June 10, 1942, that her husband was reported missing in action.  No further information was received until Christmas Eve of that year, when a card was received from George stating that he was a prisoner of war. Mrs. Embrock heard only four or five times from her husband since that time. However, she learned that he was held prisoner in Burma, Singapore, and Indo-China.  According to reports, prison camps at these places were perhaps of the best—but none too good at that.

Source: Hawarden Independent, September 6, 1945


George Embrock of Hawarden, a prisoner of the Japs for more than three years, has been released and is reported to be in excellent health, according to word received by his family through the American Red Cross.

Embrock, who held the rank of mess sergeant when he was captured shortly after Pearl Harbor, entered the Army service on May 1, 1941.  He had been in Jap prison camps in Burma, Singapore and Indo-China.  On June 10, 1942, the War Department reported him missing in action.  On Christmas day of that year, a card was received from him.

Embrock’s wife is employed as a nurse at the hospital at Hudson, S.D. His mother, Mrs. Frieda Dauberman, and his sister, Mary, lived in Hawarden. His two brothers are in the service.  Pfc. Fred Embrock is in Germany and Pfc. William Embrock is in the Philippines.

Source:  The LeMars Globe-Post, September 10, 1945


Sgt. George Embrock, who returned to the states recently after having been a prisoner of the Japs for three years, arrived in Hawarden last Saturday afternoon.  He is enjoying a reunion with his wife, who lives at Hudson, and with his mother, Mrs. Freida Dauberman, and sister, Miss Mary Embrock, who live in Hawarden.  Although he lost considerable weight while in the Jap prison camps, he says he has now regained his normal health.

Source:  Hawarden Independent, October 4, 1945 (photo included)