Plymouth County

T-5 Marvin W. Day




Mrs. Harry Bonneman, Sr., has received a letter from her son, Harry Bonnema Jr., saying:

Another big move from one country to another. Have seen quite a bit of shooting but things are pretty quiet around here now. Just got some mail, but no letter from you: one from Dick and one from Rita H.

The weather here is hot and dry, just like Africa, but the people seem to be a little better off than those in Africa. Boy! And were the people glad to see the Americans every time we took a town and walked in. They clomb (climbed) all over the Jeeps every time they stopped.

Dick Osterbuhr said his mail was getting to him OK and he knew about the big boy. I saw Marvin Day almost every day since he landed, and he’s still okay.

Source: LeMars Globe-Post,
August 16, 1943


Unaccounted For In Italy Since May 26, Says Army Telegram

T-5 Marvin W. Day has been missing in action in Italy since May 26, according to information reaching his wife, June 21, in Sioux City.

The former LeMars soldier has been overseas for 18 months, and will have been in service two years in July. Mrs. Day and their daughter, Judy, are now living in Sioux City.

Corporal Day is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Day of Quimby, and he was born and raised on a farm near Quimby. He came to LeMars in 1940, and was employed by the Devoe paint store. He was united in marriage to Miss Marian Myer, daughter of Ed Meyer of LeMars. Cpl. and Mrs. Day have a baby daughter, whom the missing soldier has not seen since she was 6 weeks old. He left LeMars July 23, 1942, and received his training in Camp Robinson, Arkansas. He was transferred to Ft. Mead, Md., where he served 14 months before being sent overseas.

Source: LeMars Globe-Post,
June 26, 1944


War Department’s Missing Telegram Followed By Death Notice

A young wife and mother sat mournfully in the home of Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Bollin here today, trying to convince herself that her husband, T/5 Marvin Day had been killed while fighting in Italy.

“I just can’t believe it,” Mrs. Day said. “His letters were always so cheerful and he always talked about coming back to the States and he made so many plans. He even sent me $180 the other day to put in the bank so we could start all over.”

Mrs. Day the former Marian Meyer, daughter of Ed Meyer, was notified on June 21 that her husband was missing in action in Italy. The family lived in LeMars until a few years ago, when they moved to Sioux City.

Upon receiving the wire that he husband was missing, Mrs. Day went to Cherokee to be with her husband’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Day.

The ultimate tragedy was thrust upon the family when they were notified at Cherokee Monday, that T/5 Marvin Day had been killed on May 26 while fighting in Italy. The wire came to her home in Sioux City and was later taken to her brother, Raymond “Preach” Meyer, when the telegraph messenger was unable to deliver it to the home.

Raymond Meyer notified his sister of the announcement by telephone at Cherokee. En route home today from Cherokee, Mrs. Day stopped for a visit in the Bollin home. Her only consolation to ease her grief is Judy, a daughter, who will be 2 years old in August.

T/5 Day was drafted on July 23, 1942 and spent just six months in the United States. He had a 3-day furlough before being shipped to Africa, where he took part in that campaign. He moved up to Sicily and into Italy and was believed to have been fighting on the road to Rome when he was killed. He would have been 24 years old July 5. He has been overseas 18 months and was in the infantry medical department.

The last letter received by Mrs. Day from her husband was dated May 21.

Source: LeMars Globe-Post, 
June 29, 1944


Corporal Marvin Day Worked in LeMars Paint Store

Cpl. Marvin Wesley Day, 24, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Day of Quimby, was killed in action on the Anzio beach head in Italy, May 28 [other accounts say he was reported missing on May 26.]

He has been overseas for the past 18 months and has been in the Army since July 23, 1942.

Corp. Day was born and raised on a farm near Quimby. He came to LeMars in 1940 and worked at the LeMars Paint and Wallpaper store. He was married to Marian Meyer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Meyer, who formerly lived in LeMars. A daughter, Judy, was born two years ago in August, and Cpl. Day had not seen her since she was six weeks old. Mr. Day and Judy are living at Quimby at the present time with his parents.

Shortly before his death, Corp. Day wrote that he would be home soon on furlough.

Source: LeMars Semi-Weekly Sentinel, June 30, 1944