Sioux County

Lt. George A. Anderson





Lieut. Geo. A. Anderson, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Anderson of Hawarden, has been reported missing in action over Rumania. He was the pilot of a B-24 Liberator bomber. He joined the Army Air Force in 1942, completed his training at Muroc, Calif., and went overseas in March of this year.

Source: LeMars Globe-Post, June 26, 1944

Lieut. George Anderson Is Being Held In Romania
S/Sgt. Highsmith’s Location Not Divulged

Two Hawarden air fighters, who recently have been reported as missing on bombing missions in Europe, are now reported to be alive and as safe as it is possible to be as prisoners in the hands of the enemy.

They are Lieut. George A. Anderson, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Anderson, and S/Sgt. Coral C. Highsmith, son of Mr. and Mrs. S. S. Highsmith.

Mr. and Mrs. Anderson received word last Saturday night from the War Department that Lieut. Anderson is a prisoner of war of the Romanians.

Lieut. Anderson was a pilot on a Liberator which, on May 31, was forced down while bombing enemy installations in Romania.  The plane fell out of formation and all members of the crew were observed bailing out by crews of accompanying bombers.  The commanding officer of the flight, in a letter to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, stated he felt that Lieut. Anderson landed safely and became a prisoner.

A short time later, information came through the International Red Cross that the Hawarden youth had made a successful landing and was captured by the Romanian army.  This word was immediately forwarded to his parents.

Mr. and Mrs. Highsmith received word Monday from the War Department that their son was safe and sound.  Detailed information was not give, but the parents were assured that they would hear from him in the near future.

S/Sgt. Highsmith was waist gunner on a bomber that failed to return from a mission over France on June 21.  Two weeks ago today, his parents received word from the War Department that he was missing.  Naturally, they had lived in hopes that he had landed safely.  Monday’s message was the answer to their prayers.

Source: The Hawarden Independent, July 27, 1944