The Boone River runs in the southeast part of the county and empties into
the Des Moines River. The Boone was named for Captain Boone of the United States
Army, who with his Company of Dragoons, was the first to explore this part of Iowa.
The Lizard River was named by Captain Boone. As he and his men crossed the
stream above the mouth, the shores and the rocks above the water were covered with
a multitude of lizards.
The Soldier Creek was named by the officers stationed at the fort. It was
a favorite hunting spot along this creek for the men who were off duty.
Deer Creek and Deer Creek Township - Named because about its head in deep
ravines and hillsides there was, for two or three years after the troops arrived
at Fort Dodge, a great place for deer.
Badger Creek, Badger Township and the City of Badger - A group
of soldiers stationed 10 miles south at Fort Dodge in the early 1850's, were crossing
a creek with their dogs when they came across a badger. They quickly commanded the
dogs to attack this strange creature. To their surprise the outcome of this fight
was, dogs 0, badger 2. They shot the badger, and carried it back to the Fort. This
incident gave the creek its name, and later the town was named for the creek which
flows west of it.
Running through Mr. Boots place, entering a short distance above the ford, is a
creek. The creek was named Elkhorn because when the soldiers came to establish
Fort Dodge(then Fort Clark) they found a short walk from the mouth of the stream
the skeleton of a large elk. The elks horns had become entangled and trapped in
a stand of three small trees. Further examination found these three trees actually
sprang from one root. The horns were entangled within these trees so badly, the
could not be worked free. The township of Elkhorn took its name from the
Elk Run is found five miles south of Forth Dodge. This location was a favorite
area for the elks. This was were the first elk kill was made when the soldiers first
moved into the Fort Dodge area.
Bushy Creek/the town Bushy - Named because the brush and undergrowth was
so thick along this stream, the soldiers found it difficult to get to the banks.
Skillet Creek - found its unique name through an early trailblazers loss.
The first settlers to the area found a iron skillet on the creek bottom, where someone
had made camp. This person must have been forced to leave camp in a hurry to leave
their skillet behind.
The first settlers came across a very crooked creek winding through the prairie,
hence the name Crooked Creek.
The officers of Fort Clark discovered a large encampment of Native Americans along
the banks of a creek. The creek from that day forward was known as Indian Creek.
Beaver Creek was at one time a hot spot for beavers. Once a prime location
for trappers. At one time there were many beaver dams along it and a lake near the
Hardin Township - Named for Joesph Hardin, he and his family came to the
area from Hocking County, Ohio.
Lost Grove Township - Located in along the southeastern border of Webster
County, standing alone in the middle of the prairie, is a stand of trees. The trees
had no apparent reason for being, hence the name "Lost Grove".
Callendar located in Roland Township (southwest Webster County) was first
named Kesho in 1869. Agnes and James Callendar of New York owned all of Kesho.
Sometime around 1876 the citizens renamed the town in honor of its founders.
Slifer found in Roland Township, was first called Elmo. In the first
decade of the 1900's, Elmo was renamed after a railroad conductor.
Clay Township was named after Henry Clay.
The town of Burnside in Burnside Township was named in honor of General
Burnside, an Union Army officer. Burnside Township at that time was named Buchanan.
Later renamed to Hesperia and finally Burnside.
Yell Township - Named for Col. Archibald Yell, a hero of the War with Mexico,
and later the second Governor of Arkansas.
Belleville - Platted in 1857 by Isaac and Jacob Bell.
Sumner Township named in honor of Charles Sumner.
In 1858 Tyson's Mill Oliver Tyson bought the the township site (Sumner)
and a mill property, previously this location had been known as Slabtown.
It was soon renamed from Tyson's Mill to Vesper. In 1880, the towns of Vesper
and Lackawana were combined and renamed Lehigh,named after the coal
fields in the east.
Duncombe located in Washington Township was named in honor of John F. Duncombe,
attorney for the Illinois Central Railroad.
Evanston, located in Washington Township, was named for John C. and Mary
Judd, Washington Township, a few miles west of Duncombe, named in honor of
Norman P. Judd. He was on the Board of Directors, Illinois Central Railroad.
Otho Township named after Otho I King of Germany and founder of the Holy
Roman Empire of the German Nation in 936.
Kalo, Otho township, from the Greek word Kalos, meaning beautiful.
Fulton Township named after Fulton County, New York the previous home of
Johnson Township named in honor of Andrew Johnson. Was formed when Jackson
Township was divided.
Barnum, Johnson Township, named in honor of Senator Barnum of Connecticut,
who at that time owned vast areas of land in the township and was influential in
the areas development.
Douglas Township named in honor of Steven A. Douglas, a noted statesman.
Wahkonsa Township named for a young Souix Chief, who was a favorite among
the early settlers of Fort Dodge. the name signifies " One who will be heard from"
or "One that will go ahead".
Fort Dodge originally called Fort Clark, after General Newman S. Clark,
was change to Fort Dodge after confusion developed with another western fort of
the same name. Fort Dodge was named for Henry and August C. Dodge, father and son
who served as senators in Wisconsin and Iowa.
Cooper Township named for Peter Cooper, an iron manufacture and Greenback
Party candidate who received considerable support in the county in 1876.
Dolliver State Park named in honor of Jonathan Dolliver, a Senator.
Vincent, a town in Newark Township, was named for Webb Vincent, a well known
Fort Dodge resident.
Clare, in Jackson Township, named for County Clare, Ireland.