This building was
called the Meek School because so many of the Meek children went to
school there. It was also called the Turkey College for awhile some
mischievous boys put several turkeys in the attic on Halloween. The
present name Living Lake was given to the school because there existed
at the south end of the yard, a small pond which was fed by an ever
running spring. Even on the hot summer days the pond did not get dry..
The little "lake" is not here now, for, in tiling the land, the spring
was tapped and the water drained into a nearby creek. However, the name
still remains, and only those who know the story remember why the
school was called Living Lake.
Some of the first teachers were Susan Meek, Abram
Pearson, Louisa Shaw, Robert Kilgore, Susan Wallingford, Amanda
Johnson, Bertha Shaw, Belle Dais and Myrtle Pearson.
The first director was Joseph Meek. The teacher
boarded with different families and was paid approximately $5 a week.
Were No Indians
There were no
Indians about to attack when the school was organized.
Thirty two years ago the school was torn down and
turned about, facing the south. In 1929 ten more feet were added to the
south side. at the time of the addition a basement was built and a
furnace installed, which was replaced by a new one in 1939.
The schoolhouse is now moderately equipped. We have
electric lights, a furnace, maps, globes, and a sandbox filled with
white sand. We have a large basement to play in on rainy days. the
children of years ago had few of the things we have today. We have a
library, piano, and an electric hot plate which we use to prepare hot
The present teacher is Mrs. Phyllis Chambers, and
the pupils now are Frances Whisler, Winifred Whisler, Catherine
Hermann, Alice Walker and Dorothy Walker.