Indian Valley Cemetery
INDIAN VALLEY CEMETERY is located in the southwest corner of the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 24 of Squaw Township. The cemetery is one and one-half miles south of the old town of Cool and is on the east side of the road. Cool was on Highway 69 south of Indianola.
The first settler in Squaw Township was J. Hackney who settled in Section 10 in 1848. He sold his land to A. Smith in 1850. David Johnson settled in Section 11 in 1852. The first school house, built by Subscription by A. Smith, Z. Nicholson, George Cloverdale, U. Williams, D. Tenney, and others, was constructed in Section 14.
The village of Medora was laid out and named by Charity D. Rice in 1870, in Section 22 of Squaw Township. It was the half-way point on the stage line between Indianola and Osceola. Stage horses were changed and dinner was served to the passengers and drivers. The station was abandoned with the coming of the Iron Horse.
The Christian Union Church at Cool, Iowa, was organized November 11, 1893. The first members were Elizabeth Morris, Maude Butler, Sarah Goodrich, Rebecca Coatney, Lizzie Hess, Ella R. King, Anna R. New, Lizzie Disney.
Indian Valley Cemetery is also called Condit, Indian Creek and Paulmette. The inscription for one stone in this cemetery reads, "wives, children and dogs lived in this vicinity in the 20th century."
Cemetery and Death Records of Warren County, Iowa, Warren County Genealogical Society, Walsworth Publishing Company, Marceline, Missouri: 1980.
View records submitted to the Iowa Gravestone Photo Project for Indian Valley Cemetery.