Wapello County, Iowa
Picture Postcards

YMCA 1911

Young Men's Christian Association

The first YMCA was located on the corner of Main and Green Street. In 1890 it was relocated and built at Second and Washington Street. The 3rd location was started in 1920 and situated on the corner of Second and Green Street.

Catholic Academy for Girls 1914


Market Street 1914

The first Electric cars began operation on Thanksgiving day, November 28, 1889, making Ottumwa one of the first cities in the United States to have electric street cars.


Boats on Des Moines River 1917


Post Office 1926

In 1889 congress made an appropriation for $35,000 for the erection of an Ottumwa federal building. The site on East 3rd street, opposite the city park, was chosen, and again used to rebuild onto the same sight in 1912, at the cost of $250,000.


2nd Street 1923


Green Street Bridge


                                                  Railroad Depot


John Morrell & Company



Courthouse and St Mary's Church

Ottumwa, Iowa



Parkview Plaza, 2nd Street Cafe

Ballingal Hotel



Lowenberg Bakery

Coca Cola, Ottumwa, Iowa