Some History of Lorimor

Burlington and Missouri Rail Road Company . . .

"Purpose to construct and use a R.R. extending from Burlington, IA to the most eligible point on the Missouri River and along the most eligible route."

Construction was started at Burlington in May, 1854 and the line was completed to Ottumwa in Sept., 1859.

All construction was suspended between 1860 and the fall of 1864 because of the Civil War.

Construction was resumed at Ottumwa in July, 1865, and the line was pushed westward in sections.

It had reached Afton by September 10, 1865, and was completed through Creston to Cromwell by June 1, 1869.

Construction continued with the line reaching Corning on August 23, 1869, and was completed to a connection

with the B. and M. River Railroad Co. in Nebraska on Jan. 1, 1870.

The company leased all its railroad property and franchises to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
railroad Company on Dec. 31, 1872 and the C. B. & Q. took over the operations The deed to ownership of C.B. & Q.
was conveyed July 3, 1875.

A real improvement came when Highway 34 was graveled from Afton, east to the bridge over Grand River east of Talmage.
About 1929, Highway 34 was paved.


Talmage first came into being with the advent of The Great Western through Union County. It lies about a quarter mile north of the junction of the Great Western and the C. B. & Q. railroads.

Dr. J. C. Beebe owned the land on which the town was laid out, and may be rightly called the father of the community, for he gave the town its name and opened the first store there in addition to owning the land.

In the matter of territory it is not so fortunate as some of its neighbors, having in competition Afton on the West, Lorimor on the North and Thayer on the East. However, it is a thriving little community which for a number of years did and extensive lumber business through Des Moines.

Since its founding in 1887, Talmage has made its name in Union County.

In 1913 Talmage was also called Cherry Valley. Talmage's business consisted of a large two-room school house,

stockyard, delivery stable, depot, 3 grocery stores, a large creamery, lumberyard, hotel and a coal shute for the railroad.

During that year Talmage Post Office was robbed. Afton Junction was 1/4 mile south of Talmage. It had a depot, hotel and park with swings.

(The above was copied from old newspaper clippings)

1923 - Excerpt From The Creston Advertiser-Gazette



The Lorimor Company, after their full share of the trials and tribulation through which all Co-operative companies

have passed have finally reached secure footing and are moving along steadily, under the management of W. E. Chinn, a new man

to the Lorimor Company but not new to the cooperative business. Last year was their banner year for cooperative shipping having

sent out 157 cars having a value of $187,099.22. They have recently gone into the grain business, purchasing the elevator at Lorimor,

and this with their produce and feed business has added another $75,484.86 giving them a year's business of $262,534.18

Mr. C. A. Eldridge is President of the Lorimor Board and is assisted in the operation of the affairs by J. H. Pope,

Vice-president, F. W. Cochran, Secretary, C. L. Denton, Treasurer, and Lyle Edwards, N. C. Marquis, Henry Keys, Ralph Hammans, and O. F. Erickson, Directors.


Taken from the Afton Enterprise, Nov. 1, 1888

[The town plat of Lorimor was recorded May 16, 1887.]

Written By: PUCK, JR.

I thought I would drop you a few lines to let you know how we are progressing in our town.

There is at present 17 dwelling houses, 10 stores in operation and in opening, one bank, one washing machine factory,

one large elevator and two grain buyers and one large two story hotel in progress of erection. As we pass from the depot,

which is a fine structure, built by the C. St. P. & K.C. R.R., we come to the restaurant and eating house of our friend Douglass Perry,

whose sumptuous table is presided over by the congenial host in a creditable manner.

Next we reach the triple establishment of our friend Mr. Marmaduke, who with his mate, presides over the post office,

jewelry and millinery store. Next we pass into the banking house of Mr. G.W. Severich, whom we find to be a quiet and obliging man.

Next to this is the store of Hillman & Co., who in connection with Mr. Fulton is erecting a fine hotel north of the street, west of the depot.

Then comes the large hardware store of Ira O. Burkheimer, where you can get anything from a cork screw to a "Round Oak" stove,

over which is our large and commodious town hall. Next to this comes the mammoth dry goods house of Mr. Barnett, of Des Moines.

From here we pass north to the firm of Chamness & Price, where you will find a large assortment of groceries and true and obliging gentlemen.

Net to this comes the drug store of Mr. Milholland, who with his smiling face makes us feel at home Then we pass on to our congenial friend,

Dr. A. S. Bailey, in whose drug store will be found medicines to cure our akes and pains.

Then we pass on to washing machine factory of W. J. Clark, which makes quite n industry in our town.
From here we pass to the lumber yard of O'Mayley Bros., which would be a credit to any town.

From here we cross the railroad to "East Lorimor", where the scales, elevator and stock yards are located.

The grain interests are presided over by Bolt and Withro. Here is also the lumber yard of R.H. Delmege, contactor and builder,

who with his corps of workmen are daily erecting new additions to our town. I will also mention that our station agent and operator,

Mr. Fred Kimball, is an obliging gentleman of renown.

Archibald, Frank Jones, M. I.
Albert, H. L. Kelley, D. F.
Anderson, Charles Kent, J. B.
Ayers, Ed C. Kilgore, E. A.
Alexander, G. B. Kirby, John
Bryant, O. W. Kirby, J. C.
Brayman, J. A. Kirsh, Frank
Brayman, Isaac Larkins, S. I.
Barton, Nelse Leasman, C. H.
Barton, Norman Lewis, C. H.
Berry, Asa Lewis, John
Berry, J. F. Lochrie, George R.
Berry, W. M. Lochrie, James
Bishop, Horace L. Lochrie, M. A.
Boling, J. W. Logan, G. W.
Bragg, Martha J. Long, Thos.
Bailey, C.M.C. Lorimor, J. S.
Bailey, A. S. Lorimor, H. H.
Bailey, E. F. Lorimor, W. W.
Beaumont, Thomas Lowery, Nancy
Beaumont, Sabina Loyd, H. W.
Bridger, William Luddington, Isacc
Bancroft, C. C. Luddington, Lafayette
Beath, A. Luddington, John
Bivins, S.H. Luddington, Sam
Burd, William Macomber, W. E.
Burwinkle, B. F. Magner, S. E.
Chapman, L. H. Marsh, L. A.
Chapman, L. J. Mason, David
Callison, G.W. Mason, J. W.
Casaday, M. E. McCall, Zaida
Cross, Florence Needs, Walter
Cornelison, J. R. O’Malley & Sons
Congor, R. S. O’Malley James
Coppersmith, A. P. Orr, A. W. H.
Donner, J. H. Orr, J. J.
Dufur, Miller & Co. Orwan, Lewis
Dufur, F. E. Orwan, Katie
Dufur, E. F. Perrigo, M. F.
Dufur, S. J. Persinger, I. A.
Day, M. E. Phelan, James
Delmege, S. E. Porter, George
Drudurant, J. W. Reed, G. N.
Edwards, A. M. Reid, C. L.
Edwards, E. A. Reid, J. H.
Edwards, E. S. Reining, F. W.
Edwards, George Rhone, George
Edwards, Wm. Rhyno, James
Elliott, Chas. Routh, A. V.
Farr, A. Routh, Carrie
Fink, John. Routh, Emma
Fink, W. W. Rusk, J. R.
Finnegan, Mary Russell, C. L.
Finnegan, H. M. Russell, Isabel
Foster, J. Best Russell, H. H.
Foster, C. S. Russell, Lee
Foster, G. A. Saunders, R. A.
Foster, W. F. Schofield, M. C.
Fread, E. C. Searl, Henry
Fry, Emil Searl, John
Fry, Kattie Sellin, E. S.
Fry, Otto Shatto, John
Gearhead, H. M. Shatto, William
Givin, John Shepherd, L. S.
Gose, Anna E. Slead, John
Green, C. A. Smith, Leonard
Grosebeck, S. W. Sprague, Jennie
Harris, Frank Stevenson, J. L.
Harris, M. St. John, Pirie
Harris, Mac Stoner, H. A.
Harris, Wallace Stoner, Landis
Haynes, S. A. Stryker, J. W.
Hendrick, J. K. Swanson, G. A.
Herr, John Talbert, M. C.
Hathaway, Produce Co. Thompson, A. H.
Hill, Lucretia Thompson, Samuel
Holeman, Geo. Thurston, J. W.
Holverstall, M. L. Whitekettle, William
Hudson, Lucinda Wilson, G. L.
Hudson, Robt. Wilson, J. A.
Hunter, C. C. Williamson, E. J. [Mrs.]
Huntzinger, J. F. Winning, Samuel
Hylton, J. S. Witter, A. J.
Hyskel, Frank Wolf, Willie
Jackson, J. M. Woodward, Barbara
  Zink, E. E.


Forty years ago last Tuesday, Dec. 1919, we started our career of helping Uncle Sam deliver the mail on Route One out of Lorimor.

At the start a team and a sleigh was used alternated occasionally when the then "cow paths" we had for roads were passable.

The route then consisted of 26 miles and now the mileage has risen to over 71. Road conditions today are a far cry from that of early years.

We thought perhaps many of you would like to know who lived on the place you are now living on, in 1919. We have compiled a survey of the route as it was in 1919

and list below those on the place that year compared with those on the same place.

Fred BallRussell WearmouthO. N. Whitehead O.N. Whitehead
F. O. HartmanDavid GrandfieldGeorge LoyOrville Loy
George KeysCharles WhiteheadN. C. MarquisDoyle McConnell
Henry BierceJohn W. PetersonWalter BarnesClarence Laughery
Bryon JacksonTeddy HaydenMickle Bros. Clarence Neisemier
Jesse ThurmanHenry WelchHenry Goetsch Vacant
Frank LivingstonGeorge HustonClyde JohnstonHarold Stalcup
Pearly Palmer Nellie BuooaGuy WarrenDale Warren
John ParkerArt PaxtonHenry WeberVirgil Reynolds
Joe BrantTruman GibbonsHarry & AlbertFrank Landreth
Tom GorrLeo NeisemierGoodridge 
Elmer HiskeyVacantWillard MoffittWillard Moffitt
E.J. CampJon DenlyChas. CarpenterWayne Hull
Bill BoyerKenneth HunterL. P. Zolman Vacant
Jap DusenberrySpencer DonnerElliot BurkheimerRobert Erickson
Lloyd RitterLarry StephensHenry FarleyOdessa Farley Corey
Roy GrandfieldClark GrandfieldJim BurkheimerFred Stroup
Clark GrandfieldJames GrandfieldGeo. CornelisonDuane Sampson
Robert CooperA. M. Cooper Walt SmithL. J. O'Neal
Ben LarkinsRalph LoweJason LeeVacant
Ed BenderVacantPat StevensBill Harris
Leo DixonVacant Amelia MoffittDan Harper
Arthur Schwanz Arthur SchwantzWallace LaytonGlen Moore
Mrs. Minta FridayHugh EricksonLyman BallJoe Hulbert
VacantLyle FridayHenry BerryVernon Wooward
Herman Schwanz David Friday H. O. HandleyVacant
Bill Davis Harriet SaundersDell DavisRoss Simmerman
Hort DavisVacantEarl DavisEarl Davis
Elmer DavisVacant Harry ArnoldL. O. Stalcup
Elizabeth KocheiserRay Parrott Fred StroupDon Harper
Emmet Downey VacantClem DavisLyle Green

[The first mail route from Lorimor was established in 1903, so this list includes the original patrons.] POST OFFICE, 1893

List of persons residing Near Lorimor & receiving mail at that office - 1889

The 1889 directory of Lorimor lists the following residents.
Anderson, S. C., harness
Andrews, Charles, barber
Bailey, A. S. drugs
Banett, D. general store
Bolt, H. grain
Chamness, John E.  
Chamness & Price, general store
Chapman, L. H. physician
Cherry, Will E., editor Lorimor Journal
Cooper, J. H., blacksmith
Delmege, Christopher, retired farmer
Delmege, R. H., lumber & coal
Dufer, Ed F., Lormior exchange bank
Edwards, John,, agent., Nursery
Edwards. L. L., stock buyer
Fulton, & Hilman, hotel, livery
Gentle, J. W, livery
Harris, Mack, section man
Higgins, Samuel, section foreman
Hotzinger, John, 
Hotzinger, M. Mrs., boarding house
Hovelscott, Eva Miss, school teacher
Kimball, F. B., station agent
Knight, Hillman, general store
Larkins, Mary, domestic, D. Barnett
Lorimor, Exchange Bank,
Lorimor, Josiah, S., farmer
Will E. Cherry,Lorimor Journal, ed.
Lowery, John, retired farmer
Marmaduke, A. H., postmaster also
Dealer in watches, clocks, jewelry
McCoy, Joe, laborer
Metcalf, J. D., carpenter
Morgan, Willis, farmer
Mulholland, John, boarding house
O'Malley Bros., lumber and coal
O'Malley, E. D., [O'Malley Bros.]
O'Malley, J., [O'Malley Bros.]
O'Malley, P. J., [O'Malley Bros.]
Perry, A. D., restaurant & grocery
Price, W. J., Chamness & Price
Rankin, Elijah, mason
Rapp, B. C., carpenter
Rapp, Frank, carpenter
Richardson, John, section man
Shipley, Maud, domestic, A.D. Perry
Singer, F. M., bookkeeper, Ex. Bank
Tate, J. R., mason
Violet & Co., furniture
Wood, Miss, domestic, Jos. Lorimor
Union County,Iowa Home

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© 2011-15 by Union County Genealogy Society