submitted by: Julia Johnson -

[Atkins, George Franklin]

Bedford Free Press

Thursday      December 7, 1899    [p. 1]


Mr. George F. [ranklin] Atkins died November 27, 1899, at 9 o'clock a. m., at his home in Mason Township, six miles west of Bedford, Iowa, aged 59 years, 2 months and 22 days, his sickness and death being the result of a complication of diseases. The funeral services were held in the afternoon of November 28, conducted by Rev. E. N. Ware, of the Presbyterian Church, and the interment was made at the Titus cemetery four miles west of town.

The subject of this sketch was born near Leyden, N. Y., September 5, 1840, and was a son of John and Amanda [Anne Hall] Atkins, both of whom are now deceased. At the age of 13 years he came with his parents to Warren County, Ill., making that his home for 24 years. On September 8th, 1861, he was married to Miss [Lydia] G.[ehala] Langworthy, at Kirkwood, Ill., who died August 8,1882. Mr. Atkins came to Taylor county, Iowa, in the year 1877, which has since been his home with the exception of four years passed in Kansas and Missouri.

On March 25, 1885, he was united in marriage, to Miss Pary [Julia Paracinda] Rubart at Bedford, Iowa, who with the four children by his former wife are left to mourn the loss of a kind and affectionate husband and father. The four children being John A. now at Burlington Junction, Mo.; Irvin J. [ackson] of Port Arthur, Texas; Charles F., Kansas City, Mo., and Mrs. Nettie Hicks of New Market vicinity. Besides the members of his own family he leaves a brother and two sisters, Mr. William H. [enry] Atkins and Mrs. Martha C. [ornelia] Vosburg of Mason township and Mrs. Cecelia M. Barnum, of Kirkwood, Illinois. Mr. Atkins was a good man, honest, upright and industrious, and was held in high favor by friends and neighbors, and his death will be regretted by many.


[Ballou, Marietta Plumb]

Bedford Times-Republican

Friday      April 7, 1905     [p. 1]

Funeral of Mrs. Geo. Ballou

Prom Wednesday's Daily.

The funeral of Mrs Marietta [Plumb] Ballou was held at the residence in the southwest part of the city this morning at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Barackman. The cortege left immediately thereafter for Platteville, where interment was made.

The attendance at the funeral was large, there being present as many sympathizing friends as the room would hold. The floral offerings were beautiful. Although the distance is long and the roads rough, a large number accompanied the remains to the cemetery, leaving here a little before noon.

[Campbell, Lock]

Clearfield Enterprise

Thursday       January 24, 1929    p. 2

Locke Campbell of Conway, one of the very oldest residents of that community, died at his home on Wednesday night, Jan. 16th. He had been ill for a long time. The funeral was on Saturday, from Conway Methodist Church.

[Campbell, Lock]

Bedford Times-Republican

Thursday      January 17, 1929     [p. 1]

Pioneer Conway Resident Is Dead

Locke Campbell Passed Away On Wednesday Night

Locke Campbell, an old and well-known resident of Conway and vicinity passed away at his home in Conway Wednesday night about 12 o'clock after a lingering illness. The funeral services will be held Saturday morning at 10 o'clock from the Methodist church in Conway. Interment will be made in Graceland cemetery. Mr. Campbell is a brother-in-law of Mrs. George Daniels of this city.

[Campbell, Lock]

Bedford Times-Republican

Thursday      January 24, 1929     p. 3

Lock Campbell

Lock Campbell was born in Lee County, Iowa, November 5th, 1848 and departed this life January 17, 1929, at the age of 80 years, 2 months and 12 days. He as a boy came with his parents to Bedford, Iowa, in the year 1855, where he grew to manhood. In the year 1877 April 9, he was united in marriage to Miss Ethel Wright of Conway, Ia., who preceded him in death Feb. 1, 1884, leaving two children, Mrs. W. L. Ross of Winnebago, Nebr., and Harry of Montana. He was again united in marriage Nov. 12, 1884, to Mrs. Clara [Litteer] Roberts [Robinson] of Greenwood, Ia. To this union one child was born, Mrs. Edd Hargin [Clara Belle] of near Conway. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell made their home on a farm in the Greenwood neighborhood until the year 1922 when they moved into Conway, Ia., where they lived until he passed beyond. Death came after many months of intense suffering, being caused by that most dreaded disease of all, cancer. Mr. Campbell united with the Greenwood Methodist church in 1895, where he continued to hold his membership until death. He leaves to mourn his death, his wife, three children, one brother, Rev. Orr Campbell of Grover, South Dakota, besides other relatives and a host of friends.

Funeral services were held in the Conway Methodist church Saturday, January 19th, at 10 a. m. conducted by the pastor, James Wilkins, after which interment was made in the Graceland cemetery 5 miles southwest of Bedford, Iowa.

[Eaton, Byron Pearl]

Lenox Time Table

Thursday      July 14, 1932     [p. 1]

Visitor Shot Self At County Seat

Took Own Life After Making Funeral Arrangements

By Franklin Wisdom

Apparently tired of life, Byron P. [earl] Eaton, 54, made all of his own funeral arrangements in Bedford Friday morning then walked to the court house park and shot himself. Eaton is believed to have been a railroad engineer and is from Denver, Colorado.

Left by his side was a note addressed to the coroner: "I, Byron P. Eaton, born at Hopkins, Mo., Jan. 22, 1877, request that my body be given in care of the Wetmore funeral home. The funeral expense has been paid, a marker bought, all necessary notice given, and at the request of my mother, that I be buried at her side. Mr. Wetmore is unaware of whose funeral he has been paid.

B. P. Eaton

"With this dollar get some flowers. "Eaton"

A dollar was found in the envelope and his request was carried out.

Eaton is survived by distant relatives in Bedford. To date no close relatives have been found.

[Eaton, Byron Pearl]

Clearfield Enterprise

Thursday    July 14, 1932     [p. 1]

Suicide at Bedford

A Mr. Eaton, probably about 55 years of age, committed suicide at Bedford under circumstances quite unusual. As a boy or young man, he had lived in or near Hopkins. For many years past, he had lived out in the Rockies. Mr. Eaton came to Bedford from Denver about July Fourth. He found former friends, and was apparently enjoying the visit. On Friday morning, he dispatched a registered letter to his wife in Denver. He packed his suitcase and mailed that home to Denver.

He went to the Marble Works, selected a stone, said it was for a friend, gave orders for erection and paid for it. He then went to the undertaker, selected a casket for a friend who had died at Pickering. Learning the total cost of the funeral, he paid this bill, and asked the undertaker to have his car ready to drive to Pickering as soon as he, Eaton, came back. He had a little business at the courthouse, he said. He went to the benches in the courthouse yard, wrote another letter explaining his intentions, put a gun into his mouth and killed himself. He did not call at the undertakers, but the "basket" came for him. Real motives were unknown in Bedford that night.

[Eaton, Byron Pearl]

New Market Herald

Thursday     July 14, 1932      [p. 1]

Byron P. Eaton, 54 Kills Self Friday

Commits Suicide In Court House Park After Making Arrangements For Burial

Apparently tired of living, Byron P. [earl] Eaton, 54, after paying for all his funeral expenses last Friday morning, walked to the Court house Park in Bedford and shot and killed himself.

Mr. Eaton is believed to have been a construction engineer from Denver, Colo., having been a resident of Taylor county many years ago. He arrived in Bedford the fore part of last week and visited there for several days with a few distant relatives and friends.

Mr. Eaton's mother was buried in a cemetery west of Bedford about five years ago, and as shown by a note on his person at the time of his death, it was his wish to be buried by her side.

Last Thursday he called upon F. L. Wetmore, funeral director at Bedford, stating that he had a brother residing near Hopkins, Mo., who was very low and could live but a short time. He asked to look over the coffins, and after pricing one that suited him, remarked that he would call up the folks near Hopkins and let him know the next morning. He then went to the Bedford Monument works where he purchased a grave marker, making the same explanation.

The following morning (Friday) Mr. Eaton again went to the funeral home, stating to Mr. Wetmore that his brother had died, and he was to be buried in the cemetery west of Bedford, and that he wished to purchase and pay for the coffin, also some flowers. Mr. Wetmore asked when he should go for the body, and was informed by Eaton that his relatives were on their way to Bedford to help arrange for the funeral, and for him to be ready to go in one and a half hours, and they would all go together.

Mr. Eaton then left, while the undertaker made preparations to go. It was only a short time until Wetmore received a call to come to the courtyard to care for a man by the name of Eaton who had just killed himself.

The following note was found on the dead man's person by the coroner, who pronounced his death as self inflicted:

"I, Byron P. Eaton, born at Hopkins, Mo., Jan. 22, 1877, request that my body be given in care of the Wetmore Funeral Home. The funeral expense has been paid, a marker bought, all necessary notice given, and at the request of my mother, that I be buried at her side. Mr. Wetmore is unaware of whose funeral he has been paid. B. P. Eaton.

"With this dollar get some flowers."  Eaton."

A dollar, evidently the last he possessed, was found in the envelope, and his request was carried out.

It was later learned that Eaton had suffered the past few years from a bad heart, and that doctors had informed him that he would live but a short time. This no doubt accounts for his returning to Bedford, where he could be near the resting ground of his mother's body, and that her dying request might be carried out.

It was also discovered that before committing the deed, Eaton had mailed a registered letter addressed to his estranged wife in Denver, and had also shipped his suitcase to her. Mrs. Eaton was telegraphed about his death and asked for instructions. She immediately wired back, saying: Bury him as he directed. Forward letter and bag."

Funeral services were held at the Wetmore Funeral home Saturday afternoon and burial made in Graceland cemetery by the side of his mother.


[Hunter, Ethel Leona]

Bedford Times-Press

Wednesday     April 23, 1986     p. 8

Services held for Ethel L Hunter

Funeral services were held for Ethel L. [eona] Hunter Monday, April 14 at the Shum-Novinger Funeral Home. She was buried at Graceland Cemetery, rural Taylor County, Iowa. Rev. Carl Cummings officiated.

Ethel L. [eona] Hunter, daughter and oldest child of Hiram Watson Hunter and Minnie Major Hunter, was born at White Cloud, Iowa September 24, 1895 and departed this life April 12, 1986 at the Bedford Manor nursing home in Bedford, Iowa at the age of 90 years, 6 months and 18 days.

She moved with her parents to a farm in Nebraska in 1904 where she attended the South Bend, Nebraska school and she was graduated from Louisville, Nebraska High School in 1914. She continued her education by attending Peru State Teachers College at Peru, Nebraska for a two-year term and was graduated in 1926.

She taught in rural and town schools in her home area until her parents moved to Iowa in 1932.

She continued her teaching career in rural schools near Bedford until her retirement.

Ethel made her home with her brother Faye Hunter until his death in 1977.

Her parents and two brothers, Leonard and Faye preceded her in death.

Left to mourn her passing are two nephews: Duane H. [arold] Hunter and his wife Carolyn of Waterloo, Nebraska; John H. [enry] Hunter of Lenexa, Kansas and his two daughters, Angela and Mary and a grand nephew, Brandon; other relatives and friends.

Early in her youth she joined the Glenwood, Iowa Methodist Church. Later she transferred her membership to a church in South Bend, Nebraska and after moving to the Bedford area she transferred to the Bedford United Methodist Church in 1954.

She will be sadly missed by her loved ones and friends.

[Hunter, Hiram Watson]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday      January 30, 1947      [p. 1]

H. W. Hunter Dies At Home Saturday

H. W. Hunter died at his home west of Bedford, Saturday, January 25, following a heart attack.

The funeral services were held at the Shum Funeral Home Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Russell G. Nye. Burial was in the Graceland cemetery.

Hiram Watson Hunter was born September 14, 1869, being a son of Jesse and Susan Hunter of Lafayette, Missouri. He was the second of seven children. He moved with his parents to Glenwood, Iowa when twelve years of age.

He was married to Minnie Major on April 15, 1894 at White Cloud, Iowa. To them were born three children, Ethel and Faye of Bedford, and Leonard, who died at the age of eight.

He is survived by his wife, daughter, son and wife, and two grandsons, all of Bedford; one sister of Glenwood, Iowa, and one brother in California.

He had been an invalid suffering with rheumatism for the past thirty-one years. Having a keen and alert mind, his chief interest was the news. His greatest pleasure was in reading the daily paper and magazines, and in listening to the radio.

He had the love and respect of all who knew him. He was always cheerful, was thoughtful of others, and bore his affliction with quiet patience. He died at the age of 77 years, 4 months and 11 days. Death came suddenly due to a heart attack, at his home west of Bedford, where he had resided the past fifteen years.

[Hunter, Minnie Major]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday      October 29, 1964       p. 10

Funeral services for Minnie Hunter, 90, Taylor County resident, held October 24 at 708 State Street Shum-Novinger Funeral Home, were conducted by Rev. J. Milton Kinney. Mrs. Hunter died at her farm home west of Bedford October 21, 1964, at the age of 90 years, three months and 13 days. Interment was at Graceland Cemetery, Taylor County.

Minnie Hunter, oldest daughter of Hamilton and Mary Miller Major, was born at Glenwood, Iowa, July 8, 1874.

On April 21, 1894 she was united in marriage to Hiram Watson Hunter at her mother's home at Sidney, Iowa. To this union were born one daughter, Ethel [Leona], and two sons, Faye and Leonard.

At the age of 14 she joined the United Brethren Church and was baptized in the Nishnabotna River near Sidney, later transferring her membership to the Methodist Church at Glenwood, and later to South Bend, Nebr. In 1954 she joined the Methodist Church at Bedford but poor health prevented her attending regularly.

She was a charter member of the Benton Social Club. At the time of her death she was the only charter member still in the club.

She was preceded in death by her father, who died when she was three years old; her mother, one sister Elizabeth Brown, one half-brother, Charlie Randall, her husband, Hiram, and son, Leonard who died at the age of eight years.

She is survived by her daughter, Ethel [Leona] of Bedford; a son, Faye and his wife; two grandsons, Duane [Harold] Hunter of Omaha and John [Henry] Hunter of Ames, Iowa; nine nieces and nephews, a host of friends and neighbors.

Out of town guests attending Mrs. Minnie Hunter's funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Brown of Osawatomie, Kans.; Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Ross of Paola, Kans.; Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Brown and Mrs. Audrey Duensing of Lewisburg, Kans.; Duane Hunter of Omaha; John Hunter of Ames; Mrs. Julia Daugherty of Osceola; Mrs. Alta Longfellow, Mr. and Mrs. Ivan Longfellow of Clearfield; Carl Longfellow, Mr. and Mrs. Wilson Longfellow of Lenox; Mr. and Mrs. Claud Adams of New Market; Mrs. Robert Burwell of Gravity.

[Kemery, William Henry “Billy”]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday       April 20, 1939     p. 5

Attend Kemery Funeral

Those from a distance attending the William [Henry] Kemery funeral services here Tuesday morning included Mr. and Mrs. Frank Mahan and son James of St. Joseph, Mo., Dr. Bruce E. [llis] Mahan of Iowa City, and J. [ames] P. [erry] Opdylke and daughter, Mrs. James McCluskey [Jennie] of Billings, Okla.

Dr. Bruce E. [llis] Mahan of Iowa City, who attended, the William Kemery funeral here Tuesday morning, went to Red Oak that afternoon to attend the funeral services of Judge Ratcliff, as a representative of the State University of Iowa.

[Kemery, William Henry “Billy”]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday      April 20, 1939      p. 8



William Henry Kemery, son of Henry and Catharine [Brown] Kemery, was born in Jackson Township, Taylor county, Iowa, July 12, 1863, the second in a family of seven children. Stricken suddenly with a cerebral hemorrhage while on a visit to St. Joseph Saturday, he died that evening, April 15, 1939, at the age of seventy-five years, nine months, and three days.

He grew to young manhood on his father's farm, and at an early age became interested in mechanical engineering. Self taught in this field, he passed several examinations successfully and soon came to be regarded by all as an expert in this line of work.

For many years he divided his time between farming, threshing and the hardware business. Lately he has devoted his attention to the management of the home farm.

He was a member of long standing in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias and, during past years, was an active worker in the various degrees of those orders.

On October 28, 1915, he was married to Luvira Titus Mahan, who survives him. Of his immediate family three brothers, E. [lias] A. [ndrew] Kemery, G. [eorge] A. Kemery and J. [ames] F. [rancis] Kemery of Bedford remain.

"Billy" Kemery, as he was known, had a host of friends. From his long association in the business field he came to know nearly everyone in Bedford and the surrounding country. Everywhere he was held in high esteem. Today, his countless friends mourn the passing of a good man.

The funeral services were held at the Walker & Shum Funeral at 10 o’clock Tuesday morning, conducted by Rev. O. H. Hallgrimson. Burial was in the Graceland cemetery.

[Kinzer, Nancy Warner]

Bedford Free Press

Thursday    August 20, 1903    [p. 1]


Died, August 12th, 1903, at the home of her son-in-low, A. [lbert] C. [icero] Rubart, in Ross Township, Taylor County, Iowa, Mrs. Nancy Kinzer, aged 66 years and 3 months. Three daughters are left to mourn the loss of a kind and loving mother, Mrs. Mary Thompson, of Coulee City, Washington, Miss Etta Kinzer, of Chicago, and Mrs. Belle Rubart.

[Kinzer, Nancy Warner]

Bedford Times-Republican

Thursday      August 20, 1903     [p. 1]


Mrs. Nancy Kinzer (whose maiden name was Warner) was born in Miami County, Ohio, May 12th 1837, and was married in Montgomery County, Ohio, July 1st 1860, to Edmond Kinzer, who died at Virgil City, Mo., September 30th 1889.

There were born to this union eight children, five of whom have preceded their mother to that better home. The three remaining daughters who are left to mourn the loss of a kind and loving mother are, Mrs. Mary Thompson of Coulee City, Wash., Mrs. Belle Rubart of Bedford, Ia., and Miss Etta Kinzer of Chicago. Sister Kinzer united with the German Baptist church at the age of twenty years, and was a faithful follower of the teachings of this church.

The funeral service was held at the home of Mr. Rubart, five miles south of Bedford, Thursday, Aug. 13th, at 10 a. m., Rev. D. W. Griffith officiating. Mrs. Kinzer was Mrs Rubart’s mother and made her home with them for the last year or so. She was an excellent old lady and those who knew her speak in the highest terms of her noble Christian character.

She had a stroke of paralysis a few weeks ago and her death was caused by another stroke.

Interment took place at Titus cemetery.

May the Divine blessing rest upon the bereaved family.

Asleep in Jesus, blessed sleep,

Whose waking is supremely sweet.    C.

[Kinzer, Nancy Warner]

Bedford Times-Republican

Thursday      August 20, 1903      p. 3

Friday's Items

Mrs. Kinzer, who died at her home south of town, was today buried in the Titus cemetery.


[McMaster, William Daniel]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday       April 20, 1939     p. 5

Attend McMaster Funeral

Those from a distance, who attended the funeral services for W. [illiam] D.[aniel] McMaster in Bedford Friday afternoon, were the following: Mr. and Mrs. Paul McMaster of Chicago; Mrs. Belle McMaster and family and Arthur McMaster of Kansas City; Mr. and Mrs. Roy McMaster of Twin Falls, Idaho; Mr and Mrs. Grant Dowell and family of Fairfield; Earnest McMaster of Fort Snelling, Minn.

[Ratekin, Anna Ailee Campbell]

Bedford Times-Press

Thursday       July 28, 1999      p. 5

A. Ailee Ratekin

Anna Ailee Campbell Ratekin, 75, of Givens Estates, Asheville, passed away quietly in her sleep at home surrounded by her family on Friday, July 23,1999.

Mrs. Ratekin was born April 3, 1924 in the home of her grandparents, in Taylor County, Iowa, the daughter of Albert Edward and Dorothy Idros (Campbell) Campbell. She was the oldest of three children: Albert Edward Jr., (deceased), Ramona Lorraine Halbert (Lexington, Kentucky) and Sally Kay Angel (St. Louis, Missouri). Mrs. Ratekin lived in Taylor County until 1943 when she graduated from Bedford High School and moved to Washington, D.C. where she worked for the FBI as a stenographer. She later transferred to the Detroit Michigan field office.

On February 1, 1947 she married Donald Arthur Ratekin, formerly of Bedford, Iowa who was then a student at Iowa State College. Following their marriage, the Ratekins lived in several places including 30 years in Allegan, Michigan, before retiring to North Carolina.

To this union were born three children, Roger Donald (April Frances Koss, Berkley, Michigan); Bruce Norman (Dublin, Ohio) and Jane Ann (Gregory David) Stephens (Inkster, Michigan). She has four grand children, Jonathon Michael and Jessica Ailee Stephens and Robert Donald and Amanda Ailee Ratekin. She is also survived by her sisters-in-law and brother-in-law: Opal (Ratekin) and Daryl Cooper, Council Bluffs, Iowa; Rachel Ratekin, Oldsmar, Florida; and Robert and Beverly Ratekin, Council Bluffs, Iowa.

She was preceded in death by her parents, her brother Albert Edward Campbell, Jr., brother-in-law John Bernard Halbert, Sr., brother-in-law Eldon Eugene Ratekin and sister-in-law Joyce Lucille Falk Ratekin.

Mrs. Ratekin worked many years as a secretary in her husband's businesses and was an active volunteer donating countless hundreds of hours with many organizations including the American Red Cross and the Allegan General Hospital. She also spent many hours playing bridge. She was a member of the Central United Methodist Church, Asheville, NC.

Interment will take place in the Graceland Cemetery, Taylor County, Iowa at a later date.