VANDER PLOEG, TJASSE AND TAKJE (VALK)
Tjasse Vander Ploeg was born on Jan. 23, 1854, and Takje Valk was born on March 13, 1855, both in Uithuizen, Netherlands. They ware married there on May 12, 1879.
Tjasse was a clothing salesman in a small store, but business was not prosperous and decided to go to America, and in May, 1881, they started out. It was a very slow and difficult voyage as no modern conveniences were at hand and many hardships. They had two small children and they were sick during the voyage. For twenty-seven days they sailed the sea and finally arrived in Alton, Iowa, where they were given shelter. The baby, Nicholas, died June 8, 1881, and is buried in Alton, Iowa.
Tjasse Vander Ploeg and wife Takje (Valk)
They moved to Sioux Center, Iowa, the following year where Tjasse became a carpenter. Later his rheumatism bothered him so much that he had to stop and then started a furniture store. Also, the Dominie at that time, talked him into becoming a funeral director, because they had to make their own caskets and he could do that along with his furniture business. The Vander Ploeg Furniture and Funeral business continued down through the years.
The following children ware born to Tjasse Vander Ploeg and Takje Valk:
1. Cena Vander Ploeg was born on Nov. 22, 1879, in Uithuizen, Netherlands. She married John D. Rozeboom, born April 13, 1880, at Sioux Center, Iowa, on March 7, 1901. They had the following children: Bert, born Mar. 24, 1902; Charles, born May 28, 1903; Johanna, born May 24, 1905; Nickolas, born Mar. 3, 1907; Herman, born Aug. 4, 1909; Tena, born Aug. 23, 1912; Cynthia, born Jan. 27, 1914; Henry, born Jan. 11, 1916; Minnie, born Feb. 12, 1918; Winifred, born Jan. 19, 1920; and Andrew, born Oct. 6, 1923. They moved to the Steen, MN area in 1917 and lived there the rest of their lives.
2. Nickolas, born Mar. 22, 1881, in the Netherlands, and died June 8, 1881.
3. Allie Vander Ploeg was born Aug. 7, 1882, in Sioux Center, Iowa, and married Henry Van Roekel, born July 17, 1877, at Sioux Center, Iowa, on Mar. 22, 1904. They had the following children: Neal, bornJan. 7, 1905; Fannie, born July 26, 1906; Gerrit, born Mar. 22, 1908; Tena, born Jan. 24, 1910; Carrie, born May 16, 1912; Tony, born Jan. 8, 1914; John born May 16, 1916; Henry, born May 10, 1918; Fannie, born Aug. 16, 1921; Cynthia, born June 18, 1924; Harriet, born June 6, 1926; and Ellen, born Nov. 30, 1928.
4. Nick Vander Ploeg was born Sept. 22, 1884, in Sioux Center, Iowa, and married Ella Vande Berg, born Mar. 14, 1887, at Sioux Center, Iowa, on Feb. 23, 1910. They had the following children: Theodore, born Dec. 20, 1914; Lawrence, born April 1, 1918; Donald, born April 4, 1921; Elmer, born July 9, 1925; and Theresa, born Oct. 3,1927.
5. Charles Vander Ploeg was born June 15, 1886, in Sioux Center, Iowa, and married Sadie Vander Schaaf, born Mar. 4, 1886, at Sioux Center, Iowa, on May 12, 1910. They had the following children: James, born Sept. 27, 1911; Edith, born Sept. 8, 1913; Arthur, born Aug. 28, 1915; Harold, born act. 4, 1924; and Eileen, born Aug. 1, 1928.
Back row L-R: Cena (Mrs. John Rozeboom), Charles, Nick, John, Allie (Mrs. Henry Van Roekel).
Middle L-R: Winnie (Mrs. Gerrit Huitink), Lucy (Mrs. R.J. Lubbers). Front L-R: Tjasse Vander
Ploeg, Minnie (Mrs. Dick Raak), Johanna (Mrs. Tunis Den Herder), Takje (Valk), and William.
6. Winnie Vander Ploeg was born Jan. 15, 1888, in Sioux Center, Iowa, and married Gerrit J. Huitink, born July 20,1886, at Sioux Center, Iowa, on Feb. 15, 1910. They had the following children: Dorothy, born Nov. 16, 1910; Charles, born Oct. 16, 1912; Tracy, born Jan. 15, 1915; Henry, born Jan. 23, 1917; Hendrina, born Apr. 16, 1920; Gertrude, born Mar. 4, 1922; and Clarence, born Sept. 13, 1924. They lived in the Orange City area all of their lives.
7. Fannie Vander Ploeg was born Nov. 24, 1889, at Sioux Center, Iowa, and died of blood poison on Aug. 12, 1901, and is buried in the Sioux Center Cemetery.
8. John Vander Ploeg was born Mar. 7,1892, at Sioux Center, Iowa, and married Vera Good, born Mar.17, 1902, at Yucaipa, CA on Feb. 17, 1931. They had no children and lived in California all of his life.
9. Lucy Vander Ploeg was born Feb. 10, 1894, at Sioux Center, Iowa, and married R.J. Lubbers, born Jan. 8, 1892 at Sioux Center, Iowa, on July 21, 1920. They had the following children: Evangeline, born Mar. 31, 1924; Dorothy, born July 11, 1927; and Ruth, born July 16, 1931. They lived in Sheboygan Falls, WI for several years where Ray was minister, and they retired in Orange City, Iowa, and are buried in the O. C. Cemetery.
10. William Vander Ploeg was born July 11, 1895, at Sioux Center, Iowa, and married Pearl Wesselink, born Apr. 3,1896, at Carmel, Iowa, on Mar. 8, 1917. They had the following children: Thelma, born Dec. 9, 1917; Henrietta, born Nov. 6, 1919; Chasper, born June 19, 1921; Henry, born Apr. 30, 1923; Henry, born Oct. 14, 1924; Robert, born Dec. 8, 1926; and Wilmar, born June 12, 1931. In the later years, William lived at Hospers, Iowa, and was in the Furniture business there.
11. Johanna Vander Ploeg was born Oct. 5, 1899, at Sioux Center, Iowa, and married Tunis Den Herder, born May 11, 1895, at Sioux Center, Iowa, on Feb. 22, 1923. They had the following children: Glenn, born Mar. 10, 1926; and Trellis, born May 2, 1929.
12. Minnie Vander Ploeg was born Oct. 5, 1899, at Sioux Center, Iowa, and married Dick Raak, born Oct. 17, 1899, at Sioux Center, Iowa, on Feb. 22, 1923. They had the following children: Dennis, born Feb. 23, 1924; Clifford, born Aug. 28, 1928; Muriel, born Apr. 23, 1930, Kenneth, born Feb. 25, 1932; Truman, born Oct. 30, 1934; Irwin, born July 14, 1937; and Vernon, born May 2, 1941.
by Theresa Vander Ploeg
Source: Sioux Center Iowa 1991 Centennial Book--Family Contributor, Mary Haverhals