VAN DE BERG, HENRY R. AND DELLA (KROON)
Henry R. and Della (Kroon) Van De Berg lived on their farm one mile east of "Kroons Corner" all the years they ware engaged in farming. In 1964 they retired and took up residence at 304 2nd Ave. S.E. in Sioux Center. There Henry spent many hours playing pool and checkers with his children and grandchildren, while Della kept coffee and fresh goodies made for everyone who stopped by. Both of them ware life long members of the First Reformed Church, where Henry served as a deacon. In March 1970, Henry became ill with leukemia, and he passed away on June 22 of that year. In 1988, Della moved into the Sioux Center Hospital Nursing Wing where she still resides and enjoys her many visitors.
Henry was born to Ralph J. and Ella (Kosters) Van De Berg on September 26, 1906, on the farm two miles east and a half north of Sioux Center where he grew to manhood. He had three brothers and three sisters. He was the director of rural school Welcome #8 for several years.
Della's parents ware Henry D. and Hattie (Van Roekel) Kroon. She was born on January 21, 1907, near Perkins, and grew up with her seven sisters and four brothers on several farms north and east of Sioux Center.
They were married on a Saturday night, January24, 1931, at the home of Rev. and Mrs. L.A. Brunsting. Because of extremely deep ruts in the roads, they had to go in a horse drawn carriage, and only the groom's father was able to be present with them for the ceremony. Their honeymoon was an overnight stay at the home of her sister and husband, the Peter A. Punt's.
On May 6, 1932, their first child, Elma Ruth, was born, followed by Verna on May 3, 1934; Harold born on October 19, 1936; Eldora, born January 15, 1939; Hendrene, born December 21, 1940; Ralph, born November 28, 1942; Wilmer James, born March 4, 1944; and Ardith June, born May 23, 1946. They attended rural school Welcome #8 and the Sioux Center Public Schools.
The Henry R Van De Berg Family: First row: Henry R., Wilmer,Ralph, Ardith, Della. Back row:
Source: Sioux Center Iowa 1991 Centennial Book--Family Contributor, Mary Haverhals
|Copyright 2014. These electronic pages are posted for the benefit of individuals only who are researching their family histories. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Sioux County Coordinator with proof of this consent.|