Sioux County -- Holland No. 3 photos
Miss Anna Rylaarsdam, Teacher, took the picture.
Students at Holland Twp. No. 3 School, circa 1936 -- The school was located south of Middleburg, in Sioux County, Iowa
Left to right: Jerry Fahl, Cornie Keunen, Willard Keunen, Gary Fahl, Stanley Wiersma (The Fahl boys were sons of NW College & Academy teacher, B. Elwood Fahl.)
Students at Holland No. 3, circa 1936
Left to right: Stanley Wiersma, Jerry Fahl, David VDBerg, Milton Bogaard, Elmer Vander Ploeg, Willard Keunen, Cornie Keunen, Gary Fahl
Holland No. 3 School Picnic
Teacher, Anna Rylaarsdam, circa 1936
Photograph contributed by Ed Lotterman
Holland No. 3 school building - 1957
The photo above is Ed Lotterman and his sister, posing on the steps of the school during a family visit in 1957. The picture was taken about twenty years after Ed's mother taught there and likely ten years before the school was officially closed.
Above photos & detail contributed by Ed Lotterman, son of a former teacher (Anna Rylaarsdam Lotterman.)
Holland Twp. School District No. 3
Beginning in this issue of the News plans to print a picture each week of the teacher and pupils of a country school. This week we present Holland No. 3 school, located 5 miles east of Sioux Center. The teacher is Miss Gertrude De Blauw of Orange City. Ben Roetman is the director. The 10 pupils and their teacher read as follows as they posed for the News photographer, James E. Mulder: Left to right, front row: Bernice Jansen, Nelva Roetman, Ruth Bogaard, Kathleen Bogaard, Eleanor Mae Van Zee, and Muriel Jansen.
Back row: Miss De Blauw, Henry John Van Zee, Cornie Jansen, Stanley Wiersma, and Willis Jongerius.
An interesting fact is that Miss De Blauw has been chosen as an attendant of the Queen at the Tulip Festival this year at Orange City.
~Source: The Sioux Center News, May 1, 1941