Note from the Submitter:
Here are excerpts from the minutes from an old leger book found in the little county school on the grounds of the Sioux County Historical Society.
This starts with the minutes of the Grant Township Board of Directors held at Matlock on Oct 20, 1894. This gives a good indication of what and how the board dealt with matters of the schools. ~Joan VanPeursem
Matlock, Iowa Oct 20, 1894.
A meeting of the Board of Directors at the call of President.
Meeting called to order by the President at 2:30 P.M.
Members all present.
Mr. Kimmel moved to accept the Report of the committee to examine the Treasures Books. 2nd by Mr. WeiKamp. Carried.
Mr. Kimmel moved to accept Report of the Treasure, 2nd by Mr. Nugent 2nd.
Mr. WeiKamp moved to accept the Bonds of Treasure and Secretary. 2nd by Mr. Kimmel Carried.
Mr. WeiKamp moved to raise the Secretaries salery to $35.00 per year. 2nd by Mr. Kimmel. Carried
Mr. Kimmel moved to make it the duty of the Secretary to care for and keep for sale to the people of this District the Text Books to be used in the schools. Second Nugent, Carried.
Mr. WeiKamp moved to appoint a committee to measure school site No.7. 2nd by Mr. Lias. Carried
The President appointed as such committee, J.H. WeiKamp, D.F. Nugent and W Wandschneider.
Mr. Nugent moved to accept Bill of Van Rooyen and McLanghlin $5.75 2nd by Mr. WeiKamp. Carried.
Mr. WeiKamp moved to allow Bill of Chicago O’Neil Grain Co. for coal $4.20. 2nd Nugent, Carried
Mr. Nugent moved to pay R.Linch $35.12 as commissioning for the year. 2nd Kimmel. Carried.
Mr. Nugent moved to pay Secretar’s salery $25.00. 2nd Mr. Kimmel. Carried.
Mr. WeiKamp moved to accept Bill of C. Meyers $7.50 2nd Nugent. Carried.
Mr. WeiKamp moved to allow W. C. Nugent $1.50 for mowing Lot No1. 2nd Kimmel. Carried.
Mr. Weikamp moved to ask the coal Dealers of Matlock to make offers to furnish coal for the schools this winter at actual weight. 2nd Lias Carried
On motion the President and Secretary were authorized to pay C. Davidson $20.00 for school site No 7 when they receive a deed for same.
On motion the secretary was instructed to notify the parties owning land adjoining school site #3 to remove Barbed Wire fence as required by law.
The Board then selected the following teachers for the winter term.
(Teachers are named under Teachers)
Mr. WeiKamp moved to vote by Ballot for a teacher in school #5. 2nd Kimmel Carried
The result of the Ballot was 3 for Mrs. Elroy Follett and 2 for Mr. Benjamin
Mr. WeiKamp moved to accept bid of E. B. Wilson to furnish Ohio coal at $6.45 per ton. 2nd by Mr.s Kimmel Carreied
Mr. WeiKamp moved to accept Bid of A. T. Lias to haul 3 tons of coal to each school House (21 tons in all) for the sum of $10.00. 2nd Kimmel. Carried
Mr. Kimmel moved that the schools all begin the winter term Nov. 5th. 2nd Mr. WeiKamp Carried
Mr. WeiKamp moved to adjourn.. 2nd by Mr. Kimmel. Carried.
S.B. Allen: Secretary.
The minutes had many of the usual business matters such as hiring teachers and paying the bills
and arranging for work to be done. We have picked out just the interesting notes to be added here.
Matlock, IA. March 18, 1895
They accepted the report of the committee to measure School site #7 and discharged the committee.
The committee appointed to negotiate and pay for site #7 made a report to the effect that they paid for same at $35.00 in place of $20.00.
Motion was made to have 2 ½ months spring term and 2 ½ months fall term of school and thus add one month more of school in the year. Carried.
Motion was made to start all schools on April 15.
Moved to allow bills of American Book co. for books and freight and draft $40.64. Carried
Bill of $2.00 was allowed for repairing
Committee was appointed to examine & repair school # 1.
Matlock, IA., May 10, 1895
Mr. Lias moved to accept the offer of N.E. Williams to sell the District six lots east of Washers house in the village of Matlock for $100.00. 2nd by Kimmel, Carried.
Matlock, From the minutes of the May 17, 1895 Board mtg.
On motion T. E. Wade was authorized to draw up plans and specifications for the new school house to be built in Matlock subject to the approval of the Board.
Matlock, From the minutes of June 12, 1895.
The object of this meeting is to consider the purchase of charts and maps for the schools.
Mr. Earl a Norton a chart agent, being present offered the "Teacher Normal Series" for $22.50 per copy. A copy each was purchased for #5 & #6.
Matlock, From the minutes of June 21, 1895
Bid of Lias, Neff and Johnson to build and furnish the school house complete throughout for $1592.45 on the condition that they furnish a good in double the amount of the contract. Carried
Secretary was authorized to issue a warrant to the contractors for $500.00 when the roof is on and another warant for $500.00 , the house if plastered and the balance when the house is completed. Carried.
Matlock, From the minutes of Aug 9, 1895;
The secretary is authorized to issue a warrant for $500.00 to Liaus, Johnson and Neff for first payment on school House.
A committee of 2 were appointed to hire a teacher in the Matlock school and also to hire a teacher in District #3.
A committee of 4 was appointed to purchase seats and black board for the Matlock school.
The secretary was instructed to post notices to school house and site #2 to the best bidder.
On motion the Board decided to allow no dances in any of the school houses.
Matlock, From the minutes of Sept 16, 1895
Williams and Nugent appointed to clean the new school house and place the seats and blackboard.
The President then proceeded to sell the old school house #2 and site. The school house and out building sold to Simon Olthoff for $70.00 and the site to A. Erfert for $54.00.
Contractors were paid $15.00 for deadening the upper floor and $3.00 for kindling wood.
Moved to pay Williams $100.00 for new school site in Matlock.
Feb. 14, 1896:
The secretary was instructed to send the following Resolution to the County Board of Supervisors:
Whereas we have not been able to secure from the county Treasurer the monthly report of school funds on hand which reports are provided for by law (Sec1784) and where as we have frequently called attention of the Treasurer to this matter without result, Therefore we The Board of Directors of the Independent School District of Grant do hereby petition the Honorable Board of Supervisors of Sioux County and ask them to use such means as they think best to secure this monthly statements as they are essential to an intelligent performance of our Official duties.
W B Allen Secretary.
Matlock, March 16, 1896: Schools to begin April 20.
Matlock, July 11, 1896: Mtg was held to consider the purchase of 7 sets of Columbian Encyclopedias.
No decision was made on that matter.
Matlock, Aug; 24, 1896: J Brewster moved to buy 7 sets of the Columbian Encyclopedia at $40.00 per set.
Matlock, Sept 21, 1896: Brewster moved to let contract to L. Jansen to haul 24 tons of coal equally divided to all seven school houses for $15.00.
Matlock, July 26, 1897: July was always a month when teachers were hired and this month the board authorized the secretary to buy slate boards and Dictionaries.
Matlock, Oct 23, 1897: Coal was again bought for all the schools and Ed McHugh is to haul the coal for 50 cents per ton. They also allowed that Roscoe Pluim be paid $1.00 for mowing the school site #3.
Matlock, Jan. 25, 1898: James Brewster moved to authorize the Secretary to write to the county auditor and find out why School Site #2 was sold for Taxes in the year 1896, and also to request the Board of County supervisors to redeem the same from said Tax sale.
Brewster moved to allow the German Presbyterian Sunday School to use the North room on first floor of School House #2 for Sunday School purposes.
Matlock, March 21, 1898: mtg was held in the hardware store. Board was authorized to lease the north lower room of School House #2 to the German Presbyterian church for a term of one year for the sum of $5.00 for church and Sunday School purposes. The said German Presbyterian Society to keep the School House in as good repair as it now is except ordinary wear and decay by the elements.
Brewster moved to appoint the President and Secretary a committee to buy material and have all the school houses and out-houses painted. Also the teachers for the fall term were hired.
Matlock Iowa, March 20, 1899; The secretary was instructed to write to the County Superintendent for plans and suggestions for building a new School House at or near the south west corner of Section 15.
Matlock, IA. May 2, 1899: P. Egan moved to locate the site for the new School House on the North East corner of section 21. Carried
P. Egan moved to adopt the same plans that were used in the construction of School House # 1 and that the secretary to hereby authorized to draft plans and specification for the construction of a coal house to be built there to 10 X 20 feet. Carried.
Moved to advertize in the Alton Democrat and in the Sheldon Mail. Carried.
Brewster moved that P. Egan and Jas. Brewster be appointed a committee to see A. E. Sherwood and buy the school site from him on the North East corner of Section 21.
Matlock: May 29, 1899: Moved to pay A. E. Sherwood $50.00 for one acre of ground on the N.E. corner of Section 21-97-43. Carried. Moved that the committee buy a black board for the new school. Carried. Moved to have 5 windows on south side & 3 on north side of School House. Carried. Moved that the new school be competed by the 15th day of August 1899. Carried
Matlock, Aug. 15, 1899: Moved that the secretary number the school houses in the District in rotation according to law. Carried. Moved to accept the competed school. Moved to buy 26 single seats, a teachers desk, chairs, maps and dictionary for he new school house. Moved to buy three stoves. Teachers were hired and schools all will begin first Monday of September.
Matlock, Nov 11, 1899, Moved to hire two teachers for School # 2 and furnish the second room for the winter term.
Matlock, Dec 4, 1899 Moved to pay P. Wolf $25.00 for calcimining houses # 1-2-3 & 8.
Matlock, March 19, 1900: moved to buy and plant trees on several school sites.
Matlock, May 7, 1900 mtg was held in the hardware store of W. B. Allen.
Basically bills were allowed for the repairing & supplies of several of the school houses as well as the planting of the trees.
Matlock, May, 13, 1901: Mtg was held in the store of J. Schlecht. Appointed a committee to build an out-house for #5.
Matlock, Nov 9, 1901: After they hired the teachers for the new term they decided that the teachers did not have to teach Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years days. They are not allowed to teach on Saturdays to make up lost time. Also are required to teach 20 days to month.
Matlock, Nov. 29, 1902, Accepted deed of Geo W. Sherwood.
Matlock, March 16, 1903, W C Kimmel nominated Ed Schutz as committee to repair all schools that need it in the township. Selected the teachers for spring term.
Center School House: March 23, 1903, the board has decided on the following directors to look after the schools. No. 3 and 4, Ed. Schultz; No. 6. WC. Kimmel; No 1, M. Mulhern; No. 7 and 8, C Sinch; No.2 and 5, H.C. Beldt. The following books were selected by committee: Geog. 1st and 2nd, Phys., Overtins, 1st, 2nd, 3rd History, McMaster’s Advanced and Primary, Baldwins Readers, Milne’s Arith, 1st, 2nd 3rd, English Grammar, Metcal’s 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Spelling book, American Word book. Music E.A. Fullertin’s books.
Center School House, April 4th, 1903: Adopted more books from the American Book company.
Center School House: Aug 8, 1903: Approved a bill for mending the clapper of the bell on No. 2, of $.35 cents and allowed $3.00 for cleaning No. 3, and $1.00 for fixing windows in same.
The secretary was ordered to take the school census of the township and be allowed $2.00.per day for same. Motion was made to close No 6. for fall term. Carried. It was further moved that W. E. Kimmel be allowed $20.00 per month to haul pupils of No.6. to another school.
H. C. Beldt was ordered to see that the Matlock school house was cleaned and that he be allowed $8.00 for same. Moved to raise the wages of first grade teachers to $37.00 and that of second grades to #32.00. Carried. Teachers were hired and schools were ordered to commenced August 31.
Center School House, Sept 21, 1903: Report of Treasurer and the census were approved. Approved all the bills for cleaning and fixing the schools, coal and hauling ($1.00 per ton) it to all the schools, and various items.
Center School House: Nov. 5, 1903, It was also decided to get a cord of slab (for kindling) wood of Strong & Son and that H. C. Beldt see that it is distributed to all school houses.
Center School House, March 24, 1904: Allowed Henry Wegter bill of $2.00 for 2 stove pipes & cleaning stove & pipes. To Geo. Godfrey $ 1.00 for cleaning out houses at Matlock. Allowed bill of R. R. A. Norton $6.53 for chalk, Erasers, freight on Books etc. Bill of V. L Hawkins for 12 No. 1 school seats $12.00.
Center School House, April 6. 1904: Resolve that those teachers who will attend the N.W. T. A.
At Sioux City April 14 and 15 be given that time. The secretary was ordered to get 12 single No. 6 desks at once. Also a black board for No. 3 and two books cases for library books.
H.O. Heitritter was appointed to see that a bridge be placed from the road to school grounds at No 3.
Center School House, Sept 19, 1904; The settlement of the coal deal of the winter of 1902 & 1903 with Edmonds /Loudergan Company was discussed, their lawyer being present. It was moved by W. C. Kimmel and second by M. Mulhern to stand by the decision of the old board which was to allow the Edmonds/Laudergan Co. $4.50 per ton for the coal furnished the schools in the township the winter of 1902 &1903. Carried. Moved by W. C. Kimmel and second by M. Mulhern to accept the bid of C. B Brockway for 30 tons or more of Hocking Valley Coal, reserved at $6.25 per ton. The census list was examined and approved. 288 pupils of school age. The secretary was allowed $ 5.00 for taking the census.
Center School House, Sept. 26. 1904; P. C. Bishop was appointed to purchase 6 stoves for the Twp. The fire pots to be not less than 18.inches.
Center School House Oct 27. 1904, Bills allowed To S.P. Messer & Son for 6 Riverside Stoves and other articles $158.20. C. Linch for putting up stove No. 8, $1.00.
Moved by W. C. Kimmel and seconded by P. C. Bishop that the Edmond Loudergan Lumber Co. be allowed $175, to settle up full the coal account contracted for Sept 15, 1902, for 32 tons of coal.
Center School House, Mar 20, 1905; C. Linch reported that he effected a settlement with Edmonds/Loudergan Lumber Co. in the coal deal of 1902 at $177.40 which was approved.
Moved & sec. to accept the bid of Geo Godfrey to white wash inside schoolhouses at $5.00 per room giving them 2 good coats of hard white wash. Also allowing $25.00 extra for the Matlock school.
Center School House, March 19, 1906; To Geo. Godfrey for extra white washing at No. 2. The same amount of $2.00 charged against him for glass broke by his boy in school house.
Matlock, Aug. 20, 1906: The bid of Geo. Godfrey to clean N0s. 1,2,3,4,5,7,8, for $21.00 was accepted.
Matlock, March 15, 1907: Moved that H.O. Heitritter & P. J. Baadte be appointed a committee to look up a new site for No.3. Also to estimate the probable cost of moving the old school house upon the new site. They were also to see what disposition could be made of the old school ground.
A petition from the citizens of Matlock asking the school board to put in a side walk along the street from the corner of the school lot to the front of the building.
Matlock, April 20, 1907: A petition was presented asking that school House No.3 be moved west to higher ground. Signed by 5 people. Also a petition protesting against moving it.
Moved to authorize P.C. Bishop to see to the laying of a cement sidewalk along the street in front of the Matlock school house as required by the city council. Carried.
Upon motion of H. O. Heitritter the privilege was grant the town council of Matlock to put in a cement walk from the street walk to the school house. Said walk to be put in free of cost to school board.
Matlock, July 1, 1907: It was also decided to divide the school year into 2 terms with a vacation of two weeks between the terms. The first term to be 4 months and the second term 5 months.
Matlock, March 9, 1908; E. C. Goodyear was appointed to see to the fencing the school grounds of No. 8. To L.H. Bishop for 2 loads of cobs, $2.00. It was decided to put Bellfreys on No. 5 and 6.. The cost of said Bellfreys not to exceed $20 each. L. Bremster was appointed to see to the building of same.
Matlock, July 1, 1908; Bills allowed to L. N. Wilsey for Bellfreys on No.5 and 6, at $21.00 each
Moved and seconded to move school house No. 3 from its present site to a site selected by the school board on the farm of Geo. J. Kammilade, Carried.
Matlock, March 8, 1909; Mr. Blumeyer on Section 16 was to be instructed to send his children to No. 5 owing to the crowded condition of the Matlock school.
Matlock; July 1, 1909; Resolved to close the center school for the present year , also to smploy but one teacher at Matlock. Moved and carried to refloor No. 3 with a hard pine floor.
The secretary was instructed to write the superintendent relative to the new law concerning the out side doors.
Matlock, August 14, 1909: It was decided to re-shingle No 7. Geo. Godfrey was given the job at $1.50 per Hr. Also to gather up the old shingles and put them into the wood house for $2.00 extra.
Matlock, March 14, 1910: P.C. Bishop and H. C. Sohl were appointed to secure, if possible, some to assist Miss Williams in No 2. for the remainder of the term. Upon information in possession of the Board, it was moved by P.C. Bishop and 2nd by T.L.K. that the secretary write Otto Blessing, Scott Kemp and Vos regarding the window lights that were broken out of No. 8, Sunday, August 29th.
Moved also that the secretary be instructed to inform Raakas and Vande Brink that they are expected to comply with school law regarding sending their children to school and if they do not thus comply, action will probably be taken to enforce the law.
Matlock, July 1, 1910; Owing to the small attendance in No. 8 E. C. Good year was instructed to investigate the conditions there and if satisfactory arraignments could be made to transport the pupils elsewhere to close the school. If each such arrangements could not be made to secure a teacher. Moved that pupils attending school from out side the township pay fifty cents per month to the township school treasurer. Moved to enforce the compulsory school law.
Matlock, Sept, 1910; Decided that all delinquent pupils must be in school on or before Nov. 28.
Matlock, Dec 19, 1910: The Board called together in special session to assist the Matlock teacher in some matters of school discipline some boys and girls were called before the school board and talked with as to their better interest and the better interest of the school.
Matlock, March 13, 1911: Upon request of H. C. Sohl the privilage was granted the patrons of school No. 3 school house to put a bellfrey on No. 3 school house the cost not to exceed $20.00 to the township.
Matlock, March 11, 1912; Moved to establish the 9th & 10th grade in the Matlock schools. Carried. Moved to incite the superintendent to meet the school directors and citizens of Grant Township to discuss the propriety of establishing a High school at Matlock. Carrried.
Matlock, Nov 19, 1912 After considerable discussion the following course of study was adopted for the Matlock school" 9th year: 1. Bookkeeping and advanced or commercial arithmetic, 2. Composition and rhetoric, 3. General History, 4, elementary Agriculture, 5. Algebra.
10th year: Algebra & Geometry, Literature–American or English. Advanced U. S., History or Reviews, elementary Science, commercial Law. It was also decided to invite someone from the Department of Agricultural Extension of the State College to hold a meeting at Matlock in the interest of better schools and better farming.
Matlock April 10, 1913; The secretary was ordered to draw orders for the payment of the tuition for those attending the High School in Sheldon in the 11 th & 12 grades. Moved that the 9th grade be added to the course of study in all the school.
Matlock, July 1, 1913: In the matter of the tuition of those pupils attending the 9th and 19th grade in the high-school of Sheldon , it was decided to refer the matter back to the school board of Sheldon to take up the claim with the county Auditor and Treasurer of Sioux County if they so desire.
Matlock, July 1, 1913: Decided to get 450 feet of chains and 7 pulleys for the flag poles on the school houses. The secretary to secure the same thru F.E. Fuller the Superintendent. Resolved to close No. 8. for the coming school year and that the President of the school board is hereby authorized to mane suitable arrangements for those children in said District to attend school in the adjoining district. Moved to repeal the decision of April 10th which obligated the teaching of the 9th grade in all the schools of the District.
Matlock Sept 8, 1913: The President and Secretary were authorized to sign all certificates of admission to High school for the 11th an 12 th grades. The secretary was instructed to get such copies of such books used in the 9th grade of the Sheldon High school as might be of use in the Matlock school.
The minutes in this book of the Grant Township School Board were recorded on May 13, 1916.