Sioux County -- Grant No. 2
~the history of the school house building
Grant Twp #2
Matlock Independent -- The first school at Matlock was built in 1880, consisting of two buildings, one at the present location and one 1-1/2 west of town, known as the Creek School (3). The present school was built in 1927 by Charlie Long and Flynn Roskam. Only the first 8 grades attended this school. The older students went to Sheldon. In 1960, this school was closed and all students attended Sheldon Community School. The building is now used as a community center for the village of Matlock.
Information gathered by Jeanette VanGrootheest and Jennie DenBesten, Sioux Co.
~ Photo by JVG & JDB