At Left: An Aerial view of Heritage Village, picture taken from north to south
At right: Entrance to Harvest Festival 2010
Pictures courtesy of Jo Alberda
Diagram of Harvest Festival Buildings
Machine Shed - was completed just last year after a donation from the Wynia Family. It is storage and display of the antique equipment. (2009) ~pictures by Wilma VandeBerg
Garritsma Sawmill - was donated by the family. It is used during the Harvest Festival to cut large pieces of wood into lumber for use around the village. Lumber from the local sawmill is what provided wood for the early pioneer family. The sawmill first used at the Harvest Festival in 2003 and the following year when the building was constructed. ~pictures by Jo Alberda
Blacksmith Shop - from Ireton and was Braaks Brothers welding shop it was where area farms and town people had many things fixed, everything from large tractors to lawn furniture.
~ Top 2 Pictures below courtesy of Jo Alberda
~Bottom 2 Pictures below courtesy of Wilma VandeBerg
Small Red Barn - was donated by the Riemersma family. It is currently used for the petting Zoo for the fair and Harvest Festival.
Children enjoying the petting zoo at the 2010 Harvest Festival
Picture courtesy of Jo Alberda
Noble Barn - is a peg frame barn and was donated by the Noble Family. A peg frame is when the large timbers are held in place with pegs, no nails. To retrieve the peg frame a Western Christian work day went to the site and took it apart and numbered all the pieces so it could be put back together. After an anonymous donation we had the seed money to build and complete the barn, with lean-tos for extra storage and display space.
The barn was constructed in 2000. The weathervane on the barn is in memory of Jimmy Kinney one of the carpenters that worked on the barn and was killed in a traffic accident a few weeks later. Noble Barn picture by Jo Alberda.
House - is one of the first houses built in Sioux Center. It was donated by Sam Klein and was located behind the Furniture Mart. It was one of the first buildings in the Village.
The house contains many artificats, antique furniture, appliances, and clothing used in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
~ picture by Jo Alberda
~ above two pictures by Wilma Vande Berg
Chicken Coop – represents a coop from the 1930’s.
Pictures by Wilma Vande Berg
Brooder Coop – was used as the information booth for the centennial (1991). It would be used to start baby chicks on the farm.
Soddy – was built in 1990 by a group of Cadets and Councilors for the opening of the village.
~ Picture courtesy of Jo Alberda
The sod house is demonstrated at
~Three pictures below by Wilma VandeBerg
Windmill – was donated by Ralph Vande Berg
Gas Station - was moved from Paulina renamed it with the Coop Brand. It was also one of the first buildings in the village.
Picture at left by Wilma Vande Berg Picture at right courtesy of Jo Alberda
Doc’s Café - was moved from downtown to make room for the Center Mill. The building was first located on the corner of South 7th St. (B-40) and Hwy 75. That was the first site for the town and that area is referred to as ‘old town’ by longtime residents. It has housed a variety of businesses. (1992)
Picture on left courtesy of Jo Alberda. Picture on right by Wilma Vande Berg
Louis Leather - was built to house all the shoe and harness making machines when they closed on Main Street. It was built to resemble a store from the 1800s. (2001)
Mutual Telephone - building was built to house the antique equipment that the phone company donated. It is usually staffed by a long time phone company employee and he adds things all the time. (2006)
Pictures by Wilma Vande Berg.
Schoolhouse is Capel #5 – It was originally located in the Middleburg area and was used by the area as a township hall until the 1950’s. Also one of the first buildings from 1900.
Pictures taken a the Harvest Festival 2010. Actual old time classes were held to show methods in a rural school
Below pictures from Wilma Vande Berg Sep 2011
Church - is to represent the first building used as a church, it was just a shed. People could pull their wagons up to. If they wanted to go in they took their wagon seats to sit on. (1996)
~Above pictures by Wilma Vande Berg Sept 2011
Some additional pictures of interest shot by Jo Alberda during the 2010 Harvest Festival.
~Pictures below courtesy of Jo Alberda
3 Additional pictures by Wilma Vande Berg
Grand daughter in pink – JoyLyn Vande Berg
What sort of a building is this, better have a look!