Submitted by Wilma J. Vande Berg of the Greater Sioux County
ROCK VALLEY - (other Post Office names were Rock Mills and
Rhodes Corner) Early settlers came in 1868, First Post Office
1871, Platted 1879, Railroad 1879, Incorporated 1889. Rock
Township, Sioux County.
- Valley View Cemetery Randy Porter Rock Valley IA is
the record keeper.
The records give plot ownership only. There are other earlier
records as early
as 1872, which have much information of value, at the library.
- St Mary’s Catholic Church Cemetery located one mile
south of Rock Valley.
- The Sioux-Settlers Township Cemetery is in Section 5
of Settlers Township.
- Another small cemetery lies southeast of this one in
Section 8 of Sioux Township.
- Records from before 1920 can be found at Vander Ploeg
Funeral Home Sioux Center; from 1920-1961 J. A. Vander
Ploeg of Sheldon;
- Porter Funeral home since 1961, has records.
- St. Mary Catholic Church Organized in 1882, history
book at Library.
- The Reformed Church was organized 17 Nov. 1890.
- The Christian Reformed Church was organized 14 Sept
- Each church has a printed history available at the Library.
- Rock Valley Public Library 1531 Main Rock Valley IA
51247 Has a collection of local history items including;1875
Atlas of Iowa by Andrews; 1923 Sioux County Atlas, Early Post
office History for that area; Collection of clippings about
Rock Valley; Souvenir write up of Rock Valley 1916; 75 year
Rock Valley History 1955; 1976 Rock Valley rock Valley Records
- Rock Valley Bee 1442 Main St Rock Valley IA 51247,
newspapers start with 1892 but the early ones are crumbled and
badly damaged by termites. The paper has been published since
1 Jan 1883. As of 1998 no micro film has been produced, the
Greater Sioux County Genealogical Society has started a
photocopying project of the local news section of the older
papers. Copies will be at the Bee office and at the GSCGS at
the Sioux Center Public Library Mark Twain Room. An index of
names is being made.
- Souvenir History 1916;
- 75 Year History of Rock Valley 1955;
- Rock Valley History 1976.
- Available at the Rock Valley Library.
- Societies - Rock Valley Historical Society 1507 Main
St. Rock Valley, IA 51247 Pat Kosters
Copyright 2003. These electronic pages are posted for the benefit of individuals only who are researching their family histories. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Sioux County Coordinator with proof of this consent.