MATLOCK - (Morris - former name) - renamed Matlock 1887,
Incorporated 1893, Grant Township, Sioux County.
- Greenwood Cemetery is the Grant Township Cemetery
which is located in Section 9 south of Matlock. First burial
was made in 1871. Earliest records are in 1876. Records show
plot ownership and burial information only. Volney Rolston is
record keeper, address 2829 Log Ave., Sheldon IA 51201.
- Reformed Church was organized 9 September 1915 and a
50th anniversary Booklet was published. The church disbanded
- A Baptist Church existed in Matlock in the past also.
- No real history book appears to exist. There is a cookbook
put out at the 100 year anniversary of the incorporation of
Matlock that has a small amount of history in it. It can be
seen at the Matlock Farmers Store.
- Matlock Messenger in existence a short time in the
1940ís. Most of the local Matlock News was reported and read
in the Sheldon Mail.
- Contact - Farmers Store Matlock gave me the following
person to contact.
Mr. Talsma, currently in the Chr. Retirement Home in Sheldon
lived on a farmed near Matlock for 63 years. He saw two
elevators burn down, there once was a bank, grocery store,
implement shop, and a produce run by Brinkman which was a big
business in itís day. He recalls a newspaper, the Matlock
Messenger when he was a young man about 1945, which reported
the ball games in which he participated. Matlock has a varying
population of about 100 people. The Talsmaís had many good
times in the past with the people of Matlock.